• Leighton Baines
    • Marouane Fellaini
    • Darron Gibson
    • Landon Donovan
    • Royston Drenthe
    • Denis Stracqualursi
    • Tim Cahill
    • Jose Baxter

I gave it to Denis because for the first time this season he allowed us to have a striker in the team. His work ethic is un-questionable and when he got onto the ball he managed to do something with it. Even if the pass that he made didn't come off he would run his arse off to go and get the ball back. I'd be more than happy to sign him up for the right fee because he puts so much into this club and it rubs off onto the other players.

Notable mentions for Donovan and Heitinga too.

Baxter I thought was poor - back to Tranmere please.

I gave it to Denis because for the first time this season he allowed us to have a striker in the team. His work ethic is un-questionable and when he got onto the ball he managed to do something with it. Even if the pass that he made didn't come off he would run his arse off to go and get the ball back. I'd be more than happy to sign him up for the right fee because he puts so much into this club and it rubs off onto the other players.

Notable mentions for Donovan and Heitinga too.

Baxter I thought was poor - back to Tranmere please.

How's that? What did he do wrong according to you? (not having a go at you btw, it's just that I saw it different, and you seem very adamant based on a 10 minute appearance)

How's that? What did he do wrong according to you? (not having a go at you btw, it's just that I saw it different, and you seem very adamant based on a 10 minute appearance)

No offence taken :)

And for me he was poor because whenever he went for the ball in the air he seemed to get pushed off it and right at the end when we just needed some composure and some time away from our own box he would fuck it up for us. I remember one instance where we had the ball near our own corner flag and he volleyed the ball over his own head and back into our own box (Fellaini had to track back and hoof the ball clear), had a City shirt been in position we would have been at 1-1. It was a school-boy error.

He got a shot towards goal in around the 88th minute which was poor IMO, it was straight at the defender (Clichy I think...) and was about a powerful as a wet fart.

I really think Baxter could have something given his build and speed (which I must say was good in the 10 minutes we saw) but I woulden't exactly relegate Stracq and Vellios for him.

I will sort of join Zoo. Baxter didn't chase down players like he was fighting for a place. But don't want to get on his case about it.

To be fair to Baxter I think thats because Moyes kept shouting at him to keep his shape. At times he looked as if he was going to close someone down, then after a Scottish shout, he retreated back into position.

Couldnt really tell much in his cameo given the nature of the game, but I liked the way he tried to link up the play in the middle of the park with the one opportunity that he got, though sadly for him the other player (Donovan?) couldnt reciprocate.

Not sure how you could judge anyone (not aimed at you Stevo) on 10mins, after all, Straq would have been on a plane back to Argentina by now if that was the case!

Edited by Bailey

I am in no way shape or form having a go at Baxter because I think he will turn out to be a great attacker at our club and given his age and that he only played 10 minutes I think it would be small-minded of us to think that he's not going places. Like you said if that was the case then Stracq would be sitting in his Argentinian living room wondering whether it was all a dream.

Baxter didn't play well today but given his limited Premiership experiance we can let him off!

To be fair to Baxter I think thats because Moyes kept shouting at him to keep his shape. At times he looked as if he was going to close someone down, then after a Scottish shout, he retreated back into position.

Couldnt really tell much in his cameo given the nature of the game, but I liked the way he tried to link up the play in the middle of the park with the one opportunity that he got, though sadly for him the other player (Donovan?) couldnt reciprocate.

Not sure how you could judge anyone (not aimed at you Stevo) on 10mins, after all, Straq would have been on a plane back to Argentina by now if that was the case!

Fair enough Bailey, if Moyes is giving orders then thats fair enough.

As I said, wasnt trying to get on his case. Just after Drenthe going off, who closed down everything, I expected to see a replacement doing the same.

But then Drenthe was probably giving Moyes a heart attack.

Too true about Strac, I am really hoping to see him get a game with Jelavic. Two strikers over six foot, and Baines, Drenthe, Donovan and Pienaar supplying the balls we really could pressure some defences.

Baxter showed me in 10 minutes that he is a footballer, notably tried to play a give and go with Donovan - whose touch not for the first time last night was very poor. - BTW Donovan was poor last night IMO - considering what he can do, he looked way out of his depth, bust enough but unfortunately technically was all over the show.

Baxter for me showed two very good pieces of technique indicating a sharp football brain. He did have a minor panic near our corner flag but certainly enough promise overall.

Baxter showed me in 10 minutes that he is a footballer, notably tried to play a give and go with Donovan - whose touch not for the first time last night was very poor. - BTW Donovan was poor last night IMO - considering what he can do, he looked way out of his depth, bust enough but unfortunately technically was all over the show.

Baxter for me showed two very good pieces of technique indicating a sharp football brain. He did have a minor panic near our corner flag but certainly enough promise overall.

Hooray its happened again! I totally agree with Haf jump for joy.gif

I agree with that as well. That attempt at a give and go showed he's a proper football player to me, the type you can never have enough of in your squad.

Stracqualursi for me. Ran his tail off all game, unlucky not to get a goal, cracking hold up play with some nice little neat touches in open play too. Hoping he can really push on from this, because he has the potential to be a cult figure for us.

Thought Johnny was great again too, and just looks to be getting better and better with a run of games.

Felt sorry for Duffy, but the call to put Hibbo in paid off. Had an absolute blinder and for the most part Dzeko was in his pocket.

Lots of positive performances from everyone, and I am praying that we can now continue this little bit of a mini run we've managed to go on. Bit later that we normally start our season this year.