IGNORED

Sky TV question

MikeO

Might be being thick here (or oldsad.png ) but can anyone help me with this.

Have Sky+ at the mo but have just been sent the offer to upgrade to HD....not particularly bothered by that in itself but the attraction is that with it you get the new F1 channel for free.

So it's a free HD box plus two months free subscription then an extra £10ish a month (over the basic £21.50 I already pay) for a twelve month contract.

Question is....if I then cancel the HD contract do I get to keep the box and just lose the HD channels? Can an HD box be used for just standard TV?

Seems to me that I can get fourteen months HD including F1 for about £120 then have a new box at the end of it but sounds too good to be truehuh.png .

You're reading the deal correctly.

If you're not with them for broadband, I'd recommend them. You can connect the router to the newer Sky boxes to download programmes from the internet, plus Iplayer is launching on Sky boxes soon.

I like HD, it's expensive, but I really notice the difference when watching SD

1st of all Mike to see any HD channels you have to have a HD telly, my HD channels dont look any different than the Normal ones.

And be carefull there is always a catch with anything that Sky offers you. Do you really need another box ?? 100 hrs of TV is probably the equivalent of about 50 films, do you need any more than that before you watch and delete.

Edited by Bill

Thanks Marco...

You're reading the deal correctly.

If you're not with them for broadband, I'd recommend them. You can connect the router to the newer Sky boxes to download programmes from the internet, plus Iplayer is launching on Sky boxes soon.

And thanks also Louis....I'd love to go to them for broadband but because of the shitness of our local exchange (see my recent post in "What grinds your gears" http://www.toffeetalk.com/index.php?/topic/22091-what-grinds-your-gears/page__view__findpost__p__279894 ) I can't get a decent deal with them, only an expensive deal with a 40GB monthly limit....can't get unlimited with them at all (in fact BT and Orange are the only two providers I can get it from and Orange would be £40 a month so I'm stuck with BT).

Have to have unlimited for Josh's gaming.

Thanks for the info though...now just need to get round the wife's huge distaste for giving Murdoch more of our money. That'll be the hard bitunsure.png .

1st of all Mike to see any HD channels you have to have a HD telly, my HD channels dont look any different than the Normal ones.

And be carefull there is always a catch with anything that Sky offers you. Do you really need another box ?? 100 hrs of TV is probably 50 films, do you need any more than that before you watch and delete.

Not bothered by HD Bill....it's the F1 that I want really; don't need another box at all but ours is getting on a bit and plays up at times so wouldn't do any harmsmile.png .

Stay well clear of Sky Mark, they were charging me for 30 meg and it was absolute crap, slow as hell, so i complained and they told me it was the BT line, so i got onto BT and they sent me a letter about a week later explaining that they could only get 4meg down the line. but they had already informed sky about it, fookin robbers.

I'm now with Virgin because it comes straight in through their cable, and it does what it says on the tin, go here to check how much broadband your getting into your PC .........

www.Speedtest.net

Edited by Bill

Stay well clear of Sky Mark, they were charging me for 30 meg and it was absolute crap, slow as hell, so i complained and they told me it was the BT line, so i got onto BT and they sent me a letter about a week later explaining that they could only get 4meg down the line. but they had already informed sky about it, fookin robbers.

I'm now with Virgin because it comes straight in through their cable, and it does what it says on the tin, go here to check how much broadband your getting into your PC .........

www.Speedtest.net

I just did that and it says 9.73mbs download speeds. But when I hover over my internet connection thing it says the speed is 54mbs :S.

Yes, I like it.

I have 'unlimited' bandwidth and can now watch Sky programmes on their website or download them to laptop to watch in my own time.

That said, like Bill says if you are able to get Cable, go for it. I can't get Virgin media where I am.

I'm thinking of moving to Sky because their unlimited package is a lot cheaper than what I'd have to pay to go unlimited on my current provider. I'm on the shitty package at the moment which only has 10GB of downloads a month, so I go over every single month.

I can't get Virgin Media where I am either. I used to be on it a few years ago and it was brilliant, I was gutted I had to use them.

No its not cheap but it can be dearer if you get them seperate.

I switched from Sky to Virgin because the broadband was shit, i get the full Monte for £65, unlimited anytime phone calls, good broadband, (no Sky Sports channels), but i get all the Eurosport channels and the ESPN so i get a wide variety of sport if i want to watch any.

Edited by Bill

• 1 month later...

All sorted on this now though not greatly bothered by the HD tbh.....probably because my eyes aren't what they were more than the technologysad.png . F1 channel starts tonight which was the whole point of the thing thoughsmile.png .

Another question....we've got a skybox upstairs which we barely ever use and I want to rig it up in the cabin at the bottom of the garden for the Olympics/Euros this summer....so I need either a twenty metre scart lead or a twenty metre satellite extension cable. Second one is the cheaper option probably but the question is will there be any reduction in quality down such a long cable?

All sorted on this now though not greatly bothered by the HD tbh.....probably because my eyes aren't what they were more than the technologysad.png . F1 channel starts tonight which was the whole point of the thing thoughsmile.png .

Another question....we've got a skybox upstairs which we barely ever use and I want to rig it up in the cabin at the bottom of the garden for the Olympics/Euros this summer....so I need either a twenty metre scart lead or a twenty metre satellite extension cable. Second one is the cheaper option probably but the question is will there be any reduction in quality down such a long cable?

It depends a lot on the quality of the cable tbh, and mainly the connectors, you should get something, at what cost though im not sure.(not that expensive it seems) Edited by theprisoner

We have cable TV and about three different installation systems, that equates to about 2000 channels in total but can only watch about half of them, we don't watch terrestrial TV anymore, simply on the basis because there is so much fucking shit on all the time, and while cable is not that much better they do have some interesting channels on that are worth a watch

£75 a month for the full package TV, Broadband, and Phone, or £60 quid without the sky sports channels.

Trouble is it comes down the BT phoneline ....... extra £12 a month.

I'm getting all this (including line rental) for £50 a month - all you have to do is threaten to quit sky every year - talk to retention and they'll put together a package to keep you... this year free phone, line rental and broadband - next year maybe 50% off channels. Basically if you've been with them for a while they'll offer you something - the chap who sorted mine as good as told me to ring and 'negotiate' a deal next year but it'll have to be a different discount.

Edited by c1982

You're better off getting WF100 cable Mike. Possibly even 'shotgun' (a dual cable) so that you don't have to replace the cable in the future if you ever decide to get SKY+ in there. Also, it may be worth putting an ethernet cable down when you do it so that you can stream films in the love nest cabin.

WF125 is a better cable but it's very bulky (and much more expensive), if you choose to use it, I'd recommend connecting WF100 to the sky box and connecting the WF125 to the WF100 simply because it's weight may physically damage the sky box connector.