IGNORED

Everton in Europe

OK. Anyone know what the situation is re: the Europa league. From my understanding there are 3 places for English teams. Whoever finishes 5th, FA CUP winners and Mickey Mouse Cup Winners

BUT

Given that the FA CUP semis comprise of RS (qualified), Chelski (prob finish 5th or 6th) and Spurs Prob finish 5th or 6th) and Everton.

Will we qualify for Europe just by reaching the final or will it just open up to whoever finishes 6th in the league?.

Cheers.

I thought you only qualified as runners up if the winners earned a champs league birth otherwise it reverts to the league. Seem to remember something with Stoke needing City to qualify for Champions League last year before they secured their place in Europe

I'm not trying to put the knockers on Europe.... and I suppose it's where every club aspires to be playing... either CL or Europa (and Europa isn't as crap as many make out)..

But...

It doesn't half take it's toll on the team, and if you don't have a huge squad, it's harder still (all credit to Stoke).

I can never forget the injustice (in my eyes) of Everton missing out in Europe in the 80s through absolutely NO fault of their own, and so I'd like to see them in CL for at least a couple of seasons... but it's hard to get there. Europa's probably as realistic as it gets for the time being and I can see Everton doing very well in it.

I'm trying to recall the City vs Stoke situation. It was something to do with this:

If City won the cup, then got into Europa League (bad for Stoke), but if City won the cup AND got in CL, then Stoke got the Europa league spot...

The issue was that City played the cup final FIRST, then played Stoke in the league the next game!... meaning that it was in Stoke's interest to lose the game (and they did). Although, by that point, most folks agreed that City were going to finish 3rd anyway so it didn't make any real difference.

I'm adamant that a few years ago that the League Cup/Carling Cup/Worthington Cup/Asda cup or whatever the damn thing was called at the time, well, winners were not allowed an entry place into Europe for a win, might have been Leicester a few years ago when they did well, but it's something I clearly remember.

Let's face it, they change the fucking formats of these things year in year out, is seems every season almost there's a new idea or qualification route, so I can be excused getting a little confused here, every two or three years there are changes and you never know quite where you are.

All that needs to be said on this issue, if we can have a Euro berth even for being in the Cup Final in a few weeks that would be great, but it's usually dependant on other teams finishes and trophy hauls more often than not I've noticed but not going to dispute.

Pretty sure it's only applicable if the winner is in Champs League as... Champs League > Europa

If winner is only in Europa I'm pretty sure it goes to the next league team - don't quote me on this though (unless I'm correct!)

So with ManU, ManC, Arse looking likely to occupy 1st-3rd we best hope we play whoever finishes 4th out of spurs or chelsea in the final (should we get there) or a much better idea... win the fucker!!!

Spot on c.

"There are three places in the UEFA Europa League available: the FA Cup winners will enter at the Group Stage; the fifth place team in the Barclays Premier League will enter at the Play-Off stage; and the Football League Cup winners will enter at the Q3 stage.

In the event the FA Cup winners are qualified for the UEFA Champions League the FA Cup runners-up will qualify, but in the place reserved for the lowest ranking Barclays Premier League representative. The place with direct access to the Group Stage will be given to the club that finishes in the highest position in the Barclays Premier League of the clubs qualifying for the UEFA Europa League.

English winners of the UEFA Europa League will enter at the Group Stage, gaining an extra domestic place only if they fail to qualify through other means for the UEFA Champions League or UEFA Europa League. If the holders of the UEFA Europa League have already qualified for Europe, no extra domestic place will be gained.

Should the FA Cup winners, runners-up (if applicable) and the Football League Cup winners already have qualified for Europe, their place goes to the next best placed clubs in the Premier League."

http://www.premierle...play-in-europe/

So basically we need to win the thing....then we go straight into the group phase.

If we lose the final then we have to hope that whoever beats us finishes top four....but then we'll go in at Q3 so it'll be an early start.

Don't forget teams that are eligible for qualification through the fair play league, didn't City or someone do that recently. I think even Swansea have a chance of European adventure next season by way of this actually. Should be some good euro nights over there you would imagine if they can make it.

Don't forget teams that are eligible for qualification through the fair play league, didn't City or someone do that recently. I think even Swansea have a chance of European adventure next season by way of this actually. Should be some good euro nights over there you would imagine if they can make it.

think they're top of it and the 3 teams below have already or are likely to qualify for europe

think they're top of it and the 3 teams below have already or are likely to qualify for europe

But the English league would have to finish in the top three of the "UEFA Respect Fair Play" rankings for that place to be available....and we were ninth in the most recently published table (though is was for games up to 31/12/11 so we could have moved up....or down).

Would be a smashing atmosphere, went to loads of midweek games when they were in the championship, mind you average att was around the 16000 mark, sad but true.

Oh you support both teams or something, that's all very well and good, but must say, it must have been a strange afternoon on Saturday for you etc.

16000 sounds about right for division two fixtures seeing as the new arena capacity is only around 21000 or thereabouts.

I remember Cardiff, or was it Wrexham, getting to the semi-finals or very near of the now defunct ECWC about 30 years ago so you never know, recently other smaller or less distinguished UK teams have done very well in Europe, and maybe you could match that next season if you're included.

Guest blueboy122

Would be a smashing atmosphere, went to loads of midweek games when they were in the championship, mind you average att was around the 16000 mark, sad but true.

I actually think the swans would do really really well in europe with there fast, dynamic attacking play.

Oh you support both teams or something, that's all very well and good, but must say, it must have been a strange afternoon on Saturday for you etc.

16000 sounds about right for division two fixtures seeing as the new arena capacity is only around 21000 or thereabouts.

I remember Cardiff, or was it Wrexham, getting to the semi-finals or very near of the now defunct ECWC about 30 years ago so you never know, recently other smaller or less distinguished UK teams have done very well in Europe, and maybe you could match that next season if you're included.

Why would it be strange? Everton is my team, Swansea is on my doorstep, I do not support them but go to watch football pure and simple. I go to Carmarthen Town matches in the league of Wales too on fri nights when playing home and fri nights at the Liberty when the Ospreys are playing rugby so what's the beef then pal?

Why would it be strange? Everton is my team, Swansea is on my doorstep, I do not support them but go to watch football pure and simple. I go to Carmarthen Town matches in the league of Wales too on fri nights when playing home and fri nights at the Liberty when the Ospreys are playing rugby so what's the beef then pal?

the Ospreys!!!!!!!!!!!! that's just weird yay.gif

It was simply the way you put it i.e 'I went to loads of Swansea games when they were in the championship'

What are people supposed to think, It's simply sounds like you had divided loyalties or favored both teams, nothing wrong with that as I have a second UK team myself but simply not on the level as Everton, they are merely a side I look out for and wish to do well.

If you live in the vicinity then fair enough, but it's something I wouldn't do, although it does make a certain amount of sense if they are the local most professional side. At the end of the day there's no harm done.