IGNORED

Neville Southall book

Louis

Southall was seen as a bit of an introvert or odd ball even at times during his Goodison career, wasn't one for the limelight and kept himself to himself. He didn't even attend the after match banquet following the 1995 FA cup Final victory, when his team mates stayed on, and took himself home mellow.png

Surprising to a certain extent that Mr Southall has decided to release an autobiography at this stage of his life, some 14 years after he left Goodison and after a decade of ending his professional career, Although I have no issue about time of release, I merely thought it was a strange time, probably all fine and dandy but there you are

Surely Neville should call the book by whatever means he sees fit and we won't argue with it, what I mean is, it's a nice idea to let supporters come up with Titles and I can see the idea in that, but do think Mr Southall should name it appropriately himself without outside interference, if that is the word unsure.png

Could well be a good book, he was when at his best, the best goalkeeper in the world.

It will probably be the fact that he was an 'introvert' that will make the book different from all the others.His take on the wonderfull mid 80's and the break up of what was the best club team in Europe, not to mention his rise from bin man to world great should be worth a read.

I hope it makes him some decent money.

Surely will be a better read than the many churned out dull efforts. In regard to Dal's point about timing. I would rather a person writing an autobiography/ biography be at a later stage in life when they have experienced many things. People who bring out their books in their 20's is, to me, ridiculous and not to mention a quick money grabbing excercise, when they have so much of their life to live.

One that I recently read was Mick Rathbones autobiography, very funny and honest, especially regarding his playing days.

http://www.decoubert...utumn-list.html

Apparently they're going to run a competition so that people choose a title for it.

"Lifting the lid" was suggested on ToffeeWeb and I think that's a great title.

That is a great title Louis. Maybe we can try and come up with one here, but I doubt we will beat that.

"Bin There And Stopped It"

"The Last Post"

Not subtle but a good game to play in the wee hours.

Ah it's about Trash cans, I hadn't noticed that before, of course Mr Southall worked in that area, I see it now

But I think really, Southall won't spend much time talking about his career before soccer and the days of bins and all may not get much of a look in, he'll most likely concentrate on his playing career in that respect

I hope he brings up the subject of his sit in protest at half time in 1990 with Leeds United, I'd enjoy his thoughts on that although he have heard before reasons and explanations. Bit of a thorny subject but also his thoughts on missing out on the European adventure in 1985 and how we could possibly have been European Champions the year after, in fact there was a real chance we could have done two trebles in subsequent years if it had been allowed, but in the end we missed out on quite a bit. It should be a good read though

• 2 months later...

Apparently it's to be called "The Binman Chronicles".

Southall was asking for suggestions for the title and the publisher ran a fan competition where he could choose to the winner. I think it's a play on words of The Batman Chronicles but can't be sure.

Personally, I preferred the suggestions "Lifting the lid" or the Robin Askwith-inspired "Confessions of a bin man".

'The Bin man chronicles' ?, sounds a bit questionable I thought at first, but maybe it will grow on me.

I guess it's about the content of the book and what Southall has to say rather than just a title or a nice cover for some.

I'll get myself a copy when available, should be quite a read. You can imagine the array of topics involved, and Southall was never one much for speaking out as a player, but I hope he gets some things off his chest in book form and has some things to say, that could be quite interesting.

Cant believe they're gonna use a picture of a bin for the cover, should be him sitting in the goal at half time or the save against united.

They're not are they ohmy.png

Half time protest against Leeds in 1990 would be fine, the save against United in '95 was a bit egg and chips to some, I thought maybe just Southall on his own as he is now, or as he was then, i.e. it was said many times that 'Southall, always started each game looking like he had just finished the last' , you know, have that as a cover as we all remember him by or recognize Southall as the great player he was. Having a trash can for the cover for the autobiography of one of the worlds greatest goalkeepers there ever was, despite his former profession, just seems a bit questionable. I hope they reconsider or something.

• 5 months later...

Leeds United home fixture, first division 1990

We were 3 - 0 down at half time if I remember, Southall wasn't at all happy and just stayed on at half time and had a sulk in the goal. We battled back to lose 2 - 3 at the end of the game. Southall at the time was subject to a £3,000,000 offer from Real Madrid I think and was still one of the best goalkeepers in the world but at the time of that year wasn't entirely happy with his Everton career and was even looking for a way out. He decided to stay and we had him for at least another seven years, but he was very unhappy that afternoon and just decided to have a protest.