IGNORED

Opposition View For Aston Villa

Hello once again from avillafan.com, and just as last year i am coming to you cap in hand for your help in our regular feature.

If anyone would take the time to answer the questions below for our main page and Members to view and discuss i would be very grateful! toffeetalk.com will get full credit and links to your site will be posted on our site! thanks for your help!

1. Congratulations on your opening day win against Manchester United, But Everton have become well known as slow starters but coming on strong in the second half of the season. Why do you think that is and can you be more consitant this season?

2. David Moyes has continued to do a fantastic Job with very limited finances avaliable, he has also managed to hold on to his big name players for the most part, what do you think his secret is?

3. Everton claimed the bragging rights after finishing above Liverpool last season, and i can see you doing it again this season but more convincingly, do you feel the balance of power could be shifting in Liverpool?

4. How do you feel about Aston Villa as a Club and our Fans?

5. Aston Villa lost in a close game with West Ham on the opening day of the season but many Villa Fans are were happy to see an improvement from the way we were playing last season, and under Paul Lambert we are once again united in support of our Manager. How do you think Villa will do this term and over the next few seasons?

6. Charles N'Zogbia and Stephen Ireland are two very talented Footballers without a doubt, but have constantly underperformed during their time with Villa, what are your thoughts on these Players?

7. Who are your picks for the top four and bottom three this season and why?

8. Who are you looking forward to play the most and why?

9. Which player do you think will cause Villa the most trouble during the match? and which Villa Players are you concerned about?

10. Finally, Match predictions!

The best response will be published on our main site page.

Thanks in advance and i wish you all the best for the coming season!! with the exception of two games of course!

1. Congratulations on your opening day win against Manchester United, But Everton have become well known as slow starters but coming on strong in the second half of the season. Why do you think that is and can you be more consitant this season?

Chance? Or perhaps it has to do with the pre-season workout? Phil Neville told Sky Moyes did it differently this year, he assembled the troups very early this season and then gave them a 5 day break in the middle of pre season.

2. David Moyes has continued to do a fantastic Job with very limited finances avaliable, he has also managed to hold on to his big name players for the most part, what do you think his secret is?

His scouts probably. And while we have a very limited transfer kitty, I believe we're still in the top 8 in the League concerning wages.

3. Everton claimed the bragging rights after finishing above Liverpool last season, and i can see you doing it again this season but more convincingly, do you feel the balance of power could be shifting in Liverpool?

Hope so, realistically though they still have way more financial prowess, so you'd think they should be able to buy a decent player some day.

I do like clubs with tradition (like yours) and your stadium is beautiful. I really like the gates to your stadium, with the lions and all.

5. Aston Villa lost in a close game with West Ham on the opening day of the season but many Villa Fans are were happy to see an improvement from the way we were playing last season, and under Paul Lambert we are once again united in support of our Manager. How do you think Villa will do this term and over the next few seasons?

Paul Lambert did a great job of finishing mid table with Norwich last season, a squad with a lot less talent than yours so I think he should be able to guide you to mid table as well, at the minimum. I think Karim El Ahmadi will prove to be a very important player for you, very tidy player in possession.

6. Charles N'Zogbia and Stephen Ireland are two very talented Footballers without a doubt, but have constantly underperformed during their time with Villa, what are your thoughts on these Players?

We were heavily linked with N'Zogbia as well. He pretty much kept Wigan in the Prem by his own at the end of his last season for them. Apparently he has attitude problems? If he'd live like a professional, he'd be a very good player. I like Ireland as well. Very graceful player, nice balance, good technique. I'd actually really like him here.

Manchester City, Manchester United, Chelsea, Arsenal in the top four. The Manc teams will be battling for the title again, they simply have too much talent and too much numbers. Chelsea have done well in the transfer market, buying young, but I think those youngsters might struggle to play at the top of their games consistently for 38 games. Arsenal will struggle for the top four along with a host of other clubs, but edge it in the end. I wouldn't know about the bottom three as I don't know much about the newly promoted teams. Wigan and Norwich will struggle though.

Liverpool. I want us to perform like we usually do for once.

9. Which player do you think will cause Villa the most trouble during the match? and which Villa Players are you concerned about?

Fellaini and Pienaar will be hand-fulls. And Jelavic had a great scoring record last year. I worry most about Bent probably, he's definitely the player with the most goals in him in your squad.

0-1.

Was going to do it with one letter each time but am tired and only have 4% of phone battery left!

I will reply tomorrow mr.villa!

Please note - villa are the team that people from round my way support... including my closest friends... so in a way they're my other Liverpoo!!!

3% left now!!!

Edited by c1982

We are better this season because we have come into it prepared. Last season (as with the seasons before) we made signings on the final day that were not up to Everton standard, instead of signing Stracqualursi this time we have signed Naismith & Mirallas, that shows how much we have come on in the past 12 months, that is why I think we will start well this campaign.

I think that he is a likeable man and Everton is a likeable club, people seem to enjoy being here and only leave if they are offered to move to a Big 4 club or because Moyes dosen't want them anymore.

With the 5 European Cup wins over at Anfield I think they will always be the top dogs in the public eye, I do believe however as of now we are the better team. We have Jelavic whilst they have Carroll, we have Mirallas where they have Downing. The Liverpool team and set-up is a joke at the moment and as of 2012 we are superior.

Never had a problem with them tbh, and I've done a few of these Q&A's on Villa in the past and you always come across as a sound bunch.

You're going to hate me for this but I had you tipped for relegation last year and I'll have you tipped for it again. I think that Villa have slowly declined in standard over the years and I think this is the year that they slip into the Championship. (Sorry).

Well, when N'Zogbia was leaving Wigan Athletic I watched him like a hawk because I wanted him to come to Everton, I was gutted when he signed for you and I have to say that we dodged a bullet. He's done nothing of note down in Birmingham and I'm just so glad that we didn't waste the money on him. Stephen Ireland I feel is a good player but has too much of an ego to actually put that to good use - I'd sell both of them.

1) Man United 2) Man City 3) Chelsea 4) Everton 18) Villa 19) Queens Park Rangers 20) Wigan

Man United will get their title back with City just missing out, Chelsea will claim 3rd spot with their impressive new look squad and Everton will get into 4th spot because I'm being as optemistic as they come, in reality I expect Arsenal to finish there (but we can hope).

Kevin Miralles. Our new signing who looks the dogs bollocks.

I'm concerned about none of the Villa players to be honest, Darren Bent poses a threat but I don't think he's going to get past Jagielka and Distin. I hold Shay Given as a high regard as one of the best keepers in the league but of course he's not bulletproof, if we pepper him with enough shots I'm sure we'll do OK.

Aston Villa 0 Everton 2

Edited by Zoo

Hello once again from avillafan.com, and just as last year i am coming to you cap in hand for your help in our regular feature.

If anyone would take the time to answer the questions below for our main page and Members to view and discuss i would be very grateful! toffeetalk.com will get full credit and links to your site will be posted on our site! thanks for your help!

I think the players we have now are more confident than ever before. Also, maybe it is due to the fact that we just signed a, as far as I know, talented player, additionally i read that Moyes had a different preseason plan (as steve said)

He has a great eye for players and I think his tough mentality allows him to have the players do what he wants but also I believe that this club with it's fans and history just appeal to player. Kind of like Aston Villa.

I really hope so! It felt great finishing above them but you would think with all the money they have they would do better than us, not the case though obviously.

I like Aston Villa and i used to love watching the games while O'Neil was around, always entertaining and it was great to watch. I only know one fan and he is 13 so I havent got a chance to meet any old fans so I can't say much about them.

I think they will be in the top half, I really like Lambert and I think he will do well. Hopefully not above Everton though.

I wasn't that impressed with N'Zogbia when we were linked to him so I was glad he did not come to Everton. I liked Ireland a lot during his mancity days and I wasnt to happy seeing how they treated him. i thought he would be a great signing for villa and hopefully he will come good.

Top 4 manc manu everton arsenal

I think Chelsea will collapse again and will not be able to figure it out with their new players and I always but Everton in the top four.

bottom 3: QPR, West Ham, and west brom

I always love playing man city because we always do well against them. Hopefully the derbys this year we would have a bad ref and maybe even show up!

I like the look of Bannan and Bent seems to be a dangerous player always. I don't know if they will be playing though, i havent followed villa recently

1-2 Everton

Thanks in advance and i wish you all the best for the coming season!! with the exception of two games of course!

Usually we lose one of our key players and bring no one in to freshen things up. This year we have lost Rodwell but he wasn't a key player and we have strengthened well.

Overall his record against the old top 4 isn't pretty reading and the lack of silverware is worrisome. Yet he is a reliable head to ensure a 5-8 finish, but with a few more risks he could be great and we would be challenging for European positions. He needs to step up his tactics imo he has stagnated. Although the recent performances against Man U are a big step forward as well as his substitute decisions last season.

Liverpool have been a poor side for a long time, they were lucky to finish in the top half this year.

I hate Villa tbh, rob points off us every time and got far to many plaudits under MO'N. I don't know many Villa fans, but think it is fickle how some wanted Levy out (we have the same problem from our fans in the form of the BlueUnion) and didn't give McLeish a chance.

It will depend ont he amount of investment, I can see it being a long time before Lambert can fix the team, much like Rodgers at Liverpool. Petrov is a massive loss (the only Villa player I like, hopefully he will be better soon) and without him I can see Villa struggling again.

Over-rated. Villa paid over the top for N'Zogbia who brilliant in flashes, but not consistent enough. Ireland can be a thorn in the side but again he isn't consistent, reminds me of Lee Hendrie.

1. Chelsea if the players gel straight away.

2/3. Man U and City squads don't look much stronger than ours other than fire power, but refs will make sure they get the little help they need.

4. Everton, optimistic but achievable. Pending a good start, Jela's goals, and more creativity/points from the bench as Barkley, Gueye, Mirallas and Anichebe try to impress. Think we will pick up more points from last years promoted sides as well as the 3 who have just come up.

18.Villa , should have went down last year. Without Petrov and Cuellar I feel for Guzan and Given, Lambert has a huge job to stop Villa from getting bullied and able to control the tempo of a match, and I dont think Holman will be good enough to do the job.

19. Wigan, I always berate the tipsters for being media lovers when they say 'little' Wigan aren't good enough, but losing Dembele and Rodgella is a massive blow and they have no real replacements. Although if Anichebe goes there, they will have a fighting chance.

20. Reading, simply not good enough.

Man United has always been my favourite, the atmosphere at Goodison is unreal for it (unfortunately I weren't there yesterday). When we beat them 1-0 Ferguson with a header it was indescribable. In the past Newc and Leeds were great games, and more recently City because we dick them and their fans fecking hate it.

Fellaini, although if Osman is in the middle you will be in for a footballing treat.

Fortuna is always Villa's best player against us. Given always does well also.

Everton usually deserve to win but Villa tend to sneak it, so probs 2-1.

Edited by pete0

No idea why we start slow, but I think a lot has to do with psychology. We tend to hit good form with the big matches, Arsenal aside, so maybe playing United early can give the guys that adrenaline boost.

I think the players respect him and also like him. He is an enormously talented manager with integrity and class.

I think we are currently the better side, but they have too much money for that to be the sign of a shift.

Villa are a huge club with great history. I think your fans have had a rollercoaster ride of late and need a long term manager.

I think this season will be difficult for you, as Lambert needs time. Only if he is given it will you improve.

I think both were poor aquisitions. Neither strike me as players that give 100% despite their talent.

City, Chelsea, Everton, Utd ...... QPR, West Ham, Norwich

Redshite as always

I think Fellaini, Baines, Pienaar and Jelavic are your biggest threat, though an inform Everton is full of threats. I think Given will be our only obstacle.

Sorry, and no offense meant, but I think it will be a hard day for Villa. 4-0 Everton.

• Has moyes overworked them too close to the start of the season, is the persistent late transfer activity a distraction? I don't know, but that performance the other night was top class and showed the type of football form teams play. Consistency will come down to key players being consistent, Fellaini for one. If he plays like he did the other night, we will run the midfield more often than not.

• he is 100% focused on his job. Top attention to detail, and if you work hard he will look after you. I think working with a small budget seems to get the best out of him. He fosters a close knit team spirit. I don't think he likes big time players and would struggle to see him man manage an adebuyor, drogba, etc.

• If they continue to believe they have this divine right to be a top 4 team then yes. They have no patience, class, or spirit. They are a shadow of the club that was so much respected from the 80's.

• Similar to Everton, good history, big fan base in an area which is unlike Newcastle - a one club city. The fans are solid and seem to appreciate good football.

• You will do better, play more attractive football and in lambert have a manager that has a bright future.

• wanted us to sign N'zogbia and Ireland. Both seem to have attitude problems despite bags of talent. Don't think McLeish's style would get the best out of them though. Under lambert I see massive improvements for both.

• Top four: Chelsea, Man city, Man United, Everton!!!
  • Bottom 3: Reading, Wigan, Norwich

• Liverpool - we will do the double over them

• Fellaini - if he plays well you can't stop him. Bent - he is always a threat if he gets in behind the defence.

• Villa 1 Everton 2

We dont usually do any business in the transfer window until late on, usually because we lose a big player, and that certainly cant help. But I think the main reason is because apart from Yaks first season we have never had anyone who can put the ball in the net on a regular basis. We have played well enoug at the start of the season but once the longer you go without winning effects confidence. A perfect example was when we lost 1-0 at your place the other year when Luke Young scored. I have never seen a more one sided game but we couldnt score and one poor decision by the Ref and we came away empty handed.

I think it will be different this year because I think this side has plenty of goals in it

I just think he is a very good manager and the players respect him and seem to want to fight for him

I would love to say yes but if they are struggling there is alwyas someone who comes along who is prepared to throw money at them, although I do think we are close to them at the moment

I can see a lot of simularities between Villa and us and I have a lot of Villa mates from thr forces so I do quite like them

I havent really paid much attention to the comings and goings at Villa over the summer but one thing is certain and that is you will play better football under Paul Lambert. I think he is going to be a top manager. Never reallly understood the Mcleish appointment, but I think youve got it right this time

Both inigmas really, could it just be as simple as Mcleish didnt utilise them properly??

Top 4 - Man City , Man Utd, Chelsea and Spurs - because money talks.

Bottom 3 - Mab City, Man United and The Shite - because I can dream!

The Shite because we owe them big time after last year

Felli becaue on his day he is unplayable

Darren Bent because he has a fantastic record against us

Tough one to call, your first home game of the season and you will be looking to bounce back after last week and it could be a case of after the Lord Mayors Parade for us, i would take a draw 2-2

Moyes is usually frustrated in the transfer market - he'll have his targets but no money to pursue them. He says he wants to do his business early and I'm sure he does intend to. This year he's been able to reduce the wage bill with the loanees not being kept on (apart from Pienaar obviously) and being able to finally sell Yobo and allowing Timmy to move on and he's also sold Rodwell (not a guarenteed starter) for good money. With a bit of money in the bank he's bought wisely and along with Jela and Gibbo from Jan there's been more of a buzz around the club than other recent summers. A good atmosphere breeds good performances. I hope we can go from strength to strength after Monday's result.

We pay good wages to keep our best players and don't pay over the odds for average players. I'd say the secret of bringing the players in is how thorough Moyes and his staff are - he's been called dithering Dave in the past so it works both ways. Also we have the Champ Manager/Football Manager boys on side (both massive blues) so they give us the heads up on all up and coming wonderkids!!!

I hope so but sadly feel if it does shift they'll just throw more money at it - just gutted they haven't got 'King Kenny' there anymore to piss it away!

Villa are technically my local team so I have grown up with literally hundreds of Villans - sadly I can only call a handful of these 'real' football fans - basically my mates who 'support' Villa are fickle. They'd forever be there in the 90's and follow avidly when O'Neill was spending Lerner's money but they seem to have lost interest again now times are tricky. Villa are a big, big club but from what I've experienced Stoke, WBA, Wolves and Birmingham fans are a lot more passionate and supportive of their club - this is maybe because Villa have been the best/biggest in the midlands for so long and the power maybe beginning to shift.

I think Villa fans need to accept this is a time to rebuild. O'Neill left you in a mess really with fees and wages and Lerner has obviously put a plan together to get the finances back in order. Lambert is a good manager (the best appoitment of the summer in my opinion) so he needs time now from the fans, players and management (board level). Mid-table from Villa should be seen as progress this season.

I wanted N'Zogbia this time last year but am 'glad' he went to Villa with the power of hindsight. His quality is unquestionable but I don't think he has the mentallity to be a top, top player - maybe Lambert can get that out of him. Ireland is a good player but it seems he rates himself more than others do - he seems to want the millionaire lifestyle 1st and footballing achievement 2nd... he could/should be class but I think he needs to be 'the main man' and have the team built around him.

1.Man.City 2.Man.Utd 3.Chelsea 4.Spurs - - - 18.Wigan 19.Southampton 20.Norwich

There's no better day than a Derby day. Also love a Goodison night match against a 'top 6' side a la Monday night!

Felli, Jelavic and Baines for us. Bent, Ireland and N'Zogbia for you.

I fear we will dominate and you'll beat us 1-0 but I'm going for an optimistic start and will go 1-3 - Dunne, Felli, Jela, Osman.

Edited by c1982