IGNORED

WBA (away) 01.09.12

c1982

I do think Newcastle are a very decent side but they certainly punched above their weight last year. I would rate a lot of their players but I must say Mirallas, Obertan would not crack the Everton XI. But then again DM seems to think Captain Phil is starting XI material so who knows?

Well there's a reason they not only finished above Everton, but also above Liverpool and Chelsea last year. They have done some pretty good business, financed with Liverpool's money (Caroll). I think Cissé is a bit out of shape, but other than that,... If they'd managed to sign Debuchy, you'd have a major Champions League spot contender. And concerning Demba Ba, perhaps the lad is more comfortable playing in a single striker system, rather than having Cissé by his side.

I think Krul was arguably the best goalkeeper in the league last season so I'd have him ahead of Howard, especially as he's still very young too. Personally I think Coloccini would start here too, but I can understand people who'd prefer our options as they're quality too, still Coloccini is a top player. Vurnon Anita and Cheik Tioté are both very good defensive midfielders and would both start here in that position imo. If we play Fellaini further up the pitch, we don't even have a real ball-winner in midfield. I'd have Cabaye over Gibson as Cabaye is a more mobile player. As much as I like Osman, I'd definitely have Ben Arfa over him as he really is a top class player. Cissé, Ba and Jelavic all three have a track record of scoring goals. Jelavic is a great striker, but so are Ba and Cissé.

I wouldnt say Krul was that good last year. He made lots of good saves but at times his decision making was awful, although if you were comparing him to Tim then I wouldnt say there was much difference.

Id defintely not have any of the back 4. Coloccini has improved dramatically since he first came to the PL but I still think he is vulnerable. Comparing him to Distin is probably quite apt.

Tiote would definitely get into our starting line-up and I would have Cabaye in there ahead of Gibson as well. Pienaar would be in there and also Ben Arfa on the other wing.

Up front it gets more difficult, as you cant deny the goal scoring prowess of Cisse & Ba but they dont seem to work that well together. Felli & Jelavic seem a better combination but Jelavic playing off the shoulder of one of these two would probably work really well.

I dont know why people underestimate Newcastle. They have quality all over the pitch and some decent options on the bench. They will give anyone a tough game if they are up for it and in that respect they are very much like us.