IGNORED

Sense of humour

Avinalaff

A few of you seem to have a problem understanding irony, and as a result it causes misunderstandings, and ill feeling. To anybody like myself with a broad sense of humour, it can become very draining seeing things simply fly over peoples heads, or get completely the wrong response. There is far too much literal thinking amongst some of you, so time to lighten up, and understand ironic humour.

Example:

irony1.jpg

Do you look at the picture, and think the guy is stupid because he makes a spelling mistake whilst trying to correct others, or do you 'laugh with him' knowing he has deliberately mispelt it to underline his point?

The irony in the spelling mistake is where the humour is at. Mistake or not.

One reaction is positive and the other negative.

A good example is presuming the guy who complained about aeroplane windows was serious, and idiotic, instead of realising he was joking ironically, and laughing 'with him', as opposed to 'at him'.

A real life example here is the Moyes Out thread. The first 4 replies all took it seriously, despite the whistling smiley. Life must be proper boring for some of you, so might be best if those that have no humour stick with the word association games, and change their names to Baldrick.

Indeed, the biggest example of irony is somebody who doesn't get it, accusing the joker of being dumb. Hmmm ....... doh.gif

Rant over. shaking%20fist.png

How do you know Romney wasn't being serious with his airplane windows comment? You're presuming he was but you don't know. You only have to look at George W. Bush to realise that people who you would expect to be intelligent can be extremely idiotic with the comments they make. Scary to think he was the head of one of the biggest nations in the world I surrender.gifunsure.png .

In relation to your Moyes Out thread, I don't think any of the people who replied thought you were being serious (well, apart from DK, but he's in a category of his own!), everyone knows you back Moyes to the hilt. They just (rightly or wrongly) thought you were trying to stir up trouble, because there are strong feelings when it comes to Moyes.

It's about seeing the funny side and giving the benefit of doubt Romey. To jump up and down calling the guy an idiot, without the slightest thought that he 'could' be joking, is the true act of idiocy.

I think the default opinion on the American political right is that they're devoid of humour and more than a bit thick. There are many examples of this over the years from Reagan ("...trees cause more pollution than automobiles..."), Bush snr ("...I hope I stand for antibigotry, anti-Semitism, antiracism. This is what drives me."), Bush jnr ("I believe we are on an irreversible trend toward more freedom and democracy - but that could change.") and Palin ("I want to help clean up the state that is so sorry today of journalism, and I have a communications degree.").

So if one of them is actually attempting irony I think they need to hold up a big banner saying that they are...or chances are people will assume they're just following the Republican tradition of weak-mindednesssmile.png.

On the "Moyes Out" joke...it was quite funny the first dozen times....but done to death now for me.

seems almost like you're havin a go at people for takin the oppositive viewpoint in life to you...but hey ho..not read the other thread..might do when i need a laugh

Well Marco, if I hadn't posted in good intent, and received nasty replies, I'd be inclined to agree with you, however seeing as I was on the receiving end, as opposed to initiating abuse, not sure your point is valid, but hey ho .. don't let that get in the way of a good theory. blink.gif

In my opinion, you guys need to have more of a laugh on here, but it seems table / chair / cushion / pin and so on captivates folks imagine, so let them carry on with whatever amuses them. Little wonder the forum is still as empty now as it was 5 years ago though, as it's becoming a rest home for dominoe players and pebble collectors. shaking%20fist.png Bring back Halewood Blue and Pax.

Oh, and when I need a laugh, I'll stand next to you in the bogs. piss.gif

we do enjoy a laugh...or at least the people i tend to talk to more do..some of us just don't find the whole moyes out joke funny any more..it's like the heskey joke that was funny for about 5 years then died out in 2004..and as for dk he's just mental so he doesn't count in the first posters to take that thread seriously..i'm not sure you started it for people to argue over like bailey suggested..but i do seem to get the impression that anyone who doesn't find your jokes funny all of a sudden becomes an arsehole

we do enjoy a laugh...or at least the people i tend to talk to more do..some of us just don't find the whole moyes out joke funny any more..it's like the heskey joke that was funny for about 5 years then died out in 2004..and as for dk he's just mental so he doesn't count in the first posters to take that thread seriously..i'm not sure you started it for people to argue over like bailey suggested..but i do seem to get the impression that anyone who doesn't find your jokes funny all of a sudden becomes an arsehole

Hey Marco, that's unfair mate. Not finding a joke funny and having a go are different things. I only give it to folk who give it out first, and I'm honest with my posts, unlike a few who have a social agenda to 'fit in'.

I defend Moyes constantly when many here slate him, so I think a little humour regarding the subject isn't too much to ask. Last night folk were absolutely slating Naismith. I mean come on. One set back and the claws are out?

It's very easy for many to argue against one, but it doesn't mean the one is always wrong mate. I'd appreciate it if you'd quit with the psychology assessments too if that's not asking too much. My banter is 'always' light hearted, unless somebody gets arsey.

Like I said, a few need to let themselves go a bit and quit with the seriousness.

Oh, btw ... arsehole. fishing.gif

no psychology assessments here..it's just the general impression i get of you..i maybe wrong as it is hard to judge someone through a forum..and football fans are fickle..they're the same all over..i've slated moyes but i've also defended him..he has his bad points and good points..and i also hope that agenda crap isn't aimed at me cos i've argued with practically everyone on this site

there's a couple of people on here that seem to argue with people for the sake of it..personally i don't think you're one of them i just think you hate people who don't laugh at your jokes...like i said i maybe wrong though

also if people wanna come on here and be serious that's upto them..you come on here and try and be funny and that's upto you...no one needs to ligthen up if they don't want to

Edited by marcopaulo

no psychology assessments here..it's just the general impression i get of you..i maybe wrong as it is hard to judge someone through a forum..and football fans are fickle..they're the same all over..i've slated moyes but i've also defended him..he has his bad points and good points..and i also hope that agenda crap isn't aimed at me cos i've argued with practically everyone on this site

there's a couple of people on here that seem to argue with people for the sake of it..personally i don't think you're one of them i just think you hate people who don't laugh at your jokes...like i said i maybe wrong though

also if people wanna come on here and be serious that's upto them..you come on here and try and be funny and that's upto you...no one needs to ligthen up if they don't want to

You wrong? Impossible soft lad. How's the scarf you're knitting coming on?