IGNORED

My opinion on the goal line technology debate

I have uploaded this video to youtube, I give my opinion on the goal line technology debate! I was inspired by the Everton goal against Newcastle that was disallowed even though it was clearly over the line! Check it out and if you could go to the youtube video and rate and comment it would mean A LOT to me smile.png

Hope you enjoy! laugh.png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUxnfzJHj9I

Edited by ForevertonZA

Would have been an equally wrong decision had the Ukraine "goal" v England been allowed as Ukraine were plainly offside in the build up. Two mistakes in that case came to the right conclusion....but the second one gets all the publicity.

I don't see the point in having technology to rule on a relatively rare occurrence while equally game changing mistakes are made in many other areas of the game on a much more regular basis.

For some strange reason soccer will probably be the last sport to introduce technology to limit human error. That is really sad because it is probably one of the easiest sports to apply it in . Bad referees make mistakes both ways - crooked referees and officials make mistakes one way - eliminate them by letting technology decide - at least it should be consistant because the machine does not know who is playing and at what stage of the game it is.Too much is at stake to accept the absolute horrible officiating i have seen this season in the Premier Leauge - if these are their best officials i hate to see their worst in lower leauges !

Don't see why it shouldn't be brought in. Technology is copping a bit of criticism in the Rugby League here in Aus because it slows up games and is somewhat taking away that authority and tradition of the referee that you mentioned in the video, but I think the general consensus is that there would be much more of an uproar should teams be robbed of a win because of human error judging something like grounding the ball.

There wouldn't be such a disruption in play for soccer because it's quite simply a goal or not, and effective technology would pick that instantly. Same goes for offsides.

Can someone fill me in on why it hasn't been brought in already? Has there been any statements from the FA or anything?

Don't see why it shouldn't be brought in. Technology is copping a bit of criticism in the Rugby League here in Aus because it slows up games and is somewhat taking away that authority and tradition of the referee that you mentioned in the video, but I think the general consensus is that there would be much more of an uproar should teams be robbed of a win because of human error judging something like grounding the ball.

There wouldn't be such a disruption in play for soccer because it's quite simply a goal or not, and effective technology would pick that instantly. Same goes for offsides.

Can someone fill me in on why it hasn't been brought in already? Has there been any statements from the FA or anything?

It would remove the opportunity for corruption to exist so probably isn't a popular measure for some of the hierarchy.

For me, it would only work if the technology was available to be displayed for all in the ground to witness.

Like Hawkeye and the Cricket one?

Isnt the cricket one Hawkeye?

I agree though, goal line technology needs to come in and be shown to everyone. I also think technology should come in for red cards and penalties with the manager or maybe captain only having one chance to appeal over the 90 mins.

I also strongly support retrospective banning for clear diving and the introduction of technology to prevent sides like Everton always drawing the short end of the stick - totally inconsistant with the law of averages.American football has introduced technology very successfully which promotes fair results and prevents manipulation and match fixing with all the betting going around. We are afterall expecting a fair contest and not a circus like WWF wrestling.We as the consumers must make our demands clear - we can not allow the money people to protect their interests through a system which is highly manipulateable

and completely outdated and belonging to the amateur age when winning was not the be all and end all.

This has been talked about before on these pages, if not anywhere else, and I feel sometimes maybe they should leave things as they are, it can be interesting sometimes to have decisions that arouse debate and furore about goal decisions, and if you bring in advanced modern technologies, you essentially take away that debate. After all, any team that gets wronged by a questionable decision invariably gets something in their favor further down the line, and things are evened out. It may well happen in the near enough future, but for now, soccer has been the same in this country, or at least, the basic laws, for as long as anyone can remember, so why change it now. I hope it isn't introduced anytime soon.

This has been talked about before on these pages, if not anywhere else, and I feel sometimes maybe they should leave things as they are, it can be interesting sometimes to have decisions that arouse debate and furore about goal decisions, and if you bring in advanced modern technologies, you essentially take away that debate. After all, any team that gets wronged by a questionable decision invariably gets something in their favor further down the line, and things are evened out. It may well happen in the near enough future, but for now, soccer has been the same in this country, or at least, the basic laws, for as long as anyone can remember, so why change it now. I hope it isn't introduced anytime soon.

I keep hearing this, but if we're not gifted 4 points on the table by the end of the season I'm gonna feel robbed! Even fate is corrupt these days. rofl.gif

Dalziel to say we should keep on doing it cause it worked for my grandfather would have kept us stuck in the dark ages.They simply did not have the technology available in the old days.I would like to see the uproar if these horrific decisions start going against the M Uniteds and Chelseas of the world and it leads to them not winning the league or missing out on Europe.But us minows must always bear the brunt of what i call blatant manipulation.Everton will probably be given their 4 points back when they are no longer a threat for the big 5 going to Europe.Two wrongs have NEVER made one right.To allow an outdated system to influence the outcome of games is just short sighted and leaves us with more questions than answers.Debate should be stimulated by facts and not speculation.

That's alright, but because I am stuck in the dark ages

The technology has been around long enough for them to have Implemented the initial idea by now, so what are they waiting for? And we know that sides like the one's mentioned above are prone to questionable decisions themselves, it does occur, and even Ferguson's harrassment and berating of match officials doesn't always ensure they are free of any decisions that may go against them. We ourselves, are not 'minnows' so to speak, maybe we can't compete with the actual heavyweights of the EPL right now, and the lack of investment still persists, but to call Everton Football Club minnows seems questionable in itself. We can talk about this all we like but the bottom line is, I don't think there will be any introduction of these goal line technologies in the immediate future. Once again, if that was their intention, they would have been introduced by now ?

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know of any results this day and won't be watching any highlights needless to say, but he's not alone in thinking that questionable decisions are what the game is all about. Match officials are only human, they're ordinary people and ordinary people make mistakes. You introduce this goal line technology into it and it will invariably take away much of the debate and furore that goes with aforementioned questionable decisions. Once again, if they had the opportunity to implement it, it would have been done by now. Maybe at least for the immediate future, they should just leave it as it has been for as long as anyone can remember. I'm adamant that most, if not all, clubs benefit and get fucked over by questionable decisions in equal measure over enough amount of time.

I don't know of any results this day and won't be watching any highlights needless to say, but he's not alone in thinking that questionable decisions are what the game is all about. Match officials are only human, they're ordinary people and ordinary people make mistakes. You introduce this goal line technology into it and it will invariably take away much of the debate and furore that goes with aforementioned questionable decisions. Once again, if they had the opportunity to implement it, it would have been done by now. Maybe at least for the immediate future, they should just leave it as it has been for as long as anyone can remember. I'm adamant that most, if not all, clubs benefit and get fucked over by questionable decisions in equal measure over enough amount of time.

Kind of like '2 wrongs make a right' ? rolleyes.gif