IGNORED

In respect of the 96 lives lost on this day

Remember that day like it was yesterday, cousin was there, best mate was there with his dad and brother. My cousin was pulled to safety. My mates dad being quite canny (in the Merseyside police) knew that even before kick off that things were not right - moved to the corner flag end and got my mate out of there pronto. Mates brother was in the crush but get pulled to safety.

96 were not as lucky. The tragedy was caused by bad judgement and the cover up that followed makes your blood boil.

Never should they be forgotten, I only hope the justice that needs to be delivered is done so in such a manner that the families can maybe get some closure. They've had the truth - let's hope that justice is served.

JFT96

I remember the time well. Awful circumstances that so easily could have been prevented and the incompetence of the South Yorkshire Police handling. It wasn't 96 lives lost on the day, it was 94 and two died in the subsequent days from injuries.

RIP to all those that never came home and the families effected.

It was only in the end that they won the replay that the FA cup Final even went ahead. If Nottingham Forest had won it surely would have been called off that year and in the end it went ahead as an all-merseyside tie as a fitting tribute. Still doesn't feel like 24 years have passed. RIP once again to those that perished on this day.

strange thing about that final was that when the game kicked off it was all about the football, two teams competing with great spirit. Then you looked at the stands and seen fans together willing their own team on. The result wasn't irrelevant because both teams wanted to win, but both sets of fans knew that something far bigger and more important than a game had happened - too this day it still stands. Both clubs can unite to face adversity and still have a healthy even bitter rivalry - quite unique and something to be very proud of. I watched the game at my brothers, a mixture of everton fans and liverpool fans having a beer, having banter, shouting, biting nails. The same probably all over merseyside.

The death toll is likely to be far higher than 96 as a result of the tragedy, you can't put a number on the amount of fans who couldn't face life with the guilt that they survived and shouldn't have, who couldn't cope with what they seen that day. Justice for far more than 96 in my opinion.

It had never crossed my mind before (maybe it's just me) that barring a moment of random selection, the draw for the semi finals, it could have been Everton at Hillsborough while Liverpool played Norwich at Villa Park....or maybe if we'd drawn Liverpool it would've been played at Old Trafford and the whole thing would never have happened.

It wouldn't have been any more or less tragic had it been our supporters that died (or indeed Norwich or Forest fans) but it did make me think a bit.

Anyway, hopefully (as BK said) by the 25th anniversary there will be some form of justice for everyone involved, dead and living.

• 1 month later...

So shocking and harrowing to see that clip, maybe all the idiots who pass judgement on the fans may view the whole tragic event in a different light. Then again, some don't want the truth to get in the way of petty rivalry and crass prejudice. Hope the familes get the justice they deserve and the criminals pay the price for their lies and cover up.

Edited by Hafnia

• 3 months later...