IGNORED

Looking at players from the US

The US has provided the EPL with several fine goalkeepers, Tim Howard among them. In other positions, few have really made it, with the exception of Donovan and Dempsey. With the increasing popularity of football in the US, and the fact that huge numbers of youngsters play in organized leagues around the country, maybe it's an untapped market when looking for transfer targets. At the GK position, there are Bill Hamid and Sean Johnson - both young and currently playing for MLS teams. At 20 years old, Juan Agudelo is earning himself a reputation and has represented his country. Given how few Americans today play for the top clubs in Europe, those who do tend to have a huge following. We could do worse than take a look at some of these emerging young players.

Edited by Cornish Steve

I agree with your assessment Steve, but both keepers mentioned are not going to make a transfer unless they can compete for the #1 jersey, and as Mucha learned that it doesn't take long to go from a solid, respected keeper to forgotten if you cannot get 1st team football.(Im guessing that Romanian giant City is learning this.)

It is hard for English clubs to get work permits for Americans unless they have represented the country. Among this group is Gatt( who would be a solid young player for us. WORLD class speed) plays in Norway. Shea is at Stoke, Corona in Mexico who is not good enough, Mix in Norway also not good enough, etc. The Americans I would have most are Altidore who is prob to expensive, and the German/Americans Chandler, Boyd, and John Anthony Brooks, but Boyd has only done it one year and not in a top league, A. Bundesliga, and Chandler would only have a 1st team place if we sold a FB. Brooks would be the most intriguing of the Germans. He is only 20 played 30 matches for Hertha Berlin, and is a 6'3 CB. Agudelo has not scored a lot in MLS, but he is still only 20, and I think the goals will come. At his peak he could be a 10-15 goal scorer who will also create chances for others.

There are a couple other really good MLS youngsters, but none have represented the US yet.

Jack McInerney ST 20 Philadelphia( Already one of the top MLS strikers)

Jack Mcbean ST 18 LA also has a Scottish passport

Jose Villareal MF 19 LA

Louis Gil MF 19 Salt Lake

DeAndre Yedlin FB 19 Seattle

Edited by Iamryanstover

Johnson and Hamid are crap. I'd take them on a free and that's it. All the guys lamryanstover listed are very good talents but probably aren't going to be leaving the MLS for at least a few more years. Cameron and Shea were really the best guys in MLS for an immediate transfer and Stoke grabbed them both. Here are guys in the MLS I think are worth a look in the next year or so:

Omar Gonzalez

Graham Zusi

Matt Besler

Juan Agudelo
Fredy Montero (though currently on loan in Colombia)

Definitely agree, however, I also believe Mix Diskerud will be a good player in the future. Still young though. I think Gil, McIrney, and Villareal will be the real deal. Gonzalez is one of my favorites. He's recently claimed the starting CB spot for the US national team.

The US has provided the EPL with several fine goalkeepers, Tim Howard among them. In other positions, few have really made it, with the exception of Donovan and Dempsey. With the increasing popularity of football in the US, and the fact that huge numbers of youngsters play in organized leagues around the country, maybe it's an untapped market when looking for transfer targets. At the GK position, there are Bill Hamid and Sean Johnson - both young and currently playing for MLS teams. At 20 years old, Juan Agudelo is earning himself a reputation and has represented his country. Given how few Americans today play for the top clubs in Europe, those who do tend to have a huge following. We could do worse than take a look at some of these emerging young players.

Joe Max Moore worked well after a trial. Didnt he score like 5 goals in his first 5 Everton games or something like that?

McBride had a great goals for games ratio we'll give him that, about eight games and four goals but he didn't stay long.

The United States has seen some, and imported some fine players overseas in recent years, or even names that carried considerable hype on early viewing. Adu, Reyna, Donovan, Freidel, Kirovski, Mathis, Mastroeni, Beasley etc, not to mention Howard himself. There's always some up and coming kids ready to impress or whose time is yet to come, and while next year in Brazil if we make it, not expecting great things, but already there's opportunity to do something and with subsequent qualifications and tournaments, could be a nation to watch. Anything is possible.

Remember McBride? We didn't get him for long. and with Donovan the rules of the US game seems to tell us that quality players are not for sale. Getting youngsters may be the way to go.

Donovan not leaving is purely Donovan's choice. Obviously MLS wanted him to stay, but they're not going to force him to if he doesn't want to. Dempsey and Howard left at times they were the elite players in the league. Altidore was the best rated young striker the league had arguably ever had and he was sold. Clint Mathis and Damarcus Beasley as well. Brek Shea and Geoff Cameron were also stars and were sold. Though Los Angeles obviously would want a decent transfer fee (as any team in the world would for their players) they would not prevent him from moving on. The only thing keeping Landon Donovan in the US is Landon Donovan.

Edited by thoward18

Donovan not leaving is purely Donovan's choice. Obviously MLS wanted him to stay, but they're not going to force him to if he doesn't want to. Dempsey and Howard left at times they were the elite players in the league. Altidore was the best rated young striker the league had arguably ever had and he was sold. Clint Mathis and Damarcus Beasley as well. Brek Shea and Geoff Cameron were also stars and were sold. Though Los Angeles obviously would want a decent transfer fee (as any team in the world would for their players) they would not prevent him from moving on. The only thing keeping Landon Donovan in the US is Landon Donovan.

100% Correct. MLS will let top players leave, but they are not in the business of giving top players away. The league(not individual teams) own each contract in MLS; even the designated players that are not in the wage cap. It is not rocket science. Most clubs(MLS clubs included) have the ambition of keeping top players, and young players in order to improve as a club, or in MLS's case to improve the quality of the league while not breaking the budget; which is something MLS is always dealing with.

I stand corrected and take the lesson to heart. You git :rofl:

• 2 weeks later...

Altidore looks to be joining Sunderland.

He was complete gash at Hull City so I'm not that interested in him. I'd rather by someone who has been in the Premier League than someone who has previously and done fuck all.