IGNORED

Pre-season: Accrington Stanley (away)

Louis

I know it was only Accrington Stanley but some of the football we played was downright exciting. Given that half of the squad have only been back in training for a couple of weeks and the rest are joining up now in dribs and drabs, it looks like a promising amount of progress has been made already.

Again, I know it was only Accrington, but Gibson looks like a man reborn and Martinez's preferred style is going to suit him perfectly. He could be a key player for years to come and my only concern is his injury history. We really need to add another midfield body who can play in a similar fashion.

Unfortunately, I didn't get to watch either of the first two warm-up games. Still, from everyone's comments and analysis, some trends clearly come through:

1) The older players are struggling. Maybe it just takes them longer to get going at the start of a new season, but their age is beginning to tell. Everton has, on the whole, a comparatively older team, so it's going to be really important to bring through some of the younger players.

2) It's exciting to see Connor Grant and some of the other youngsters being given a real chance to prove themselves. In many ways, they are the future of the club, and only by being given the opportunity to play will they feel this way.

3) Some players (e.g., Gibson and Coleman) are thriving under the new style of play. Others (e.g., Hibson and Jagielka) are struggling initially. I suppose that's to be expected with only two weeks having passed since RM took charge.

4) Already, RM's new signings have shown what they can bring to the team. Robles seems to have had two very solid games. Alcaraz is useful since he knows already, and can demonstrate, the RM style of play. Can't wait to see the impact of the other two new guys.

5) It's not been stated, but I wonder how important it is to Oviedo that the new manager speaks Spanish. I'm guessing it will make quite a bit of difference. With Alcaraz now present and Deulofeu about to join the team, a Spanish speaking manager may turn out to be an unexpected benefit.

At first I thought we were sloppy with their goal, but it was actually a superb team goal, and probably the best goal of the night.

No doubt they took the opportunity well but it was still an opportunity they shouldnt have had. Jags had time to get a pass out but instead tried to trick his way through. Oviedo got caught a little ball watching (albeit a good run from the AS player) and then Hibbert let the goal scorer go by (where Jags was caught out of position).