IGNORED

Pre-season: Accrington Stanley (away)

Louis

Which was your tweet?

Everyone is very positive about Oviedo, and whilst I agree he looks great going forward; it didn't take much for Accrington to expose him at the back!

Just keeping it in perspective.

Makes you respect Baines that much more. Despite how involved he gets offensively you rarely see him getting caught or making a mistake going the other way. Like what I've seen from Oviedo but anyone who thinks that we'd be "fine" if Baines were to leave is in denial.

Which was your tweet?

watching on my ipad doing the ironing. they said be careful because ive burnt myself a few times. i blame it on the wine!

Oviedo Baines

Anichebe Velios

Hibbert Coleman

Naismith Gueye

Mirallas Pienaar

Distin Alcaraz

....I think

thanks, its a bitch on the ipad!

Makes you respect Baines that much more. Despite how involved he gets offensively you rarely see him getting caught or making a mistake going the other way. Like what I've seen from Oviedo but anyone who thinks that we'd be "fine" if Baines were to leave is in denial.

to be fair though, Baines has had more practice.

Gibson is looking like he will be a rock and I dont doubt, future captain.

Coleman is looking like he could be a good as Baines

No, im not exaggerating on those 2 points...

Good work out that and an impressive performance overall.

Gibson & Felli worked very well, especially the former whose energy was fantastic.

Oviedo was bright in attack but he lost a bit of concentration for their goal.

Robles was impressive enough in his keeping duties but a couple of sloppy passes could have been punished.

Vellios, Gueye and Grant all showed some signs of quality but they need a bit more consistency to go with it (mainly aimed at the first two).

Alcaraz showed exactly why Martinez has brought him in. Handled himself well in defence but his performance on the ball and playing the ball in to midfield put the other two to shame.

Jags who was poor in the first half stepped up in the 2nd which was good to see.

Im looking forward to the Blackburn game now.

well, utmost respect for Accrington Stanley to start with, they didnt roll over, they came to play and got a well worked goal. For those pointing fingers at Oviedo - Baines has been found out like that many times before.

So... Romey-esq write up (i hope!). I will add that some of this might be down to wine, and excitement so I'll point out when im serious :) Also, will need to consult the OS for all who played :D

Robles - solid. Claimed the ball comfortably in the air, got down low when needed. Wasnt really tested but what he had to do, he did with confidence and I wasnt close to being nervous. I wont be surprised to see him starting more than Howard.

Hibbert - showing his age, not sure we will see much of him any more.

Coleman - the boy seems to go from strength to strength. I was not exaggerating when I said he could be as good as Baines.

Jags - shakey. Clearly took this for what it was and sauntered. No way he can get away with that kind of complacency come season kick off.

Distin - nothing wrong, not much impressive. Good distribution but thats about all I can say.

Alcaraz - looked the most comfortable CB all game. One or 2 slip ups but nothing dangerous. Looked comfortable on the ball promising. He will be cause all sorts of trouble for Martinezs CB selection

Oviedo - someone mentioned before, if Baines goes we might be alright. Pace to give away, adventurous, looks every bit the player we've suspected but not had a chance to see because of Baines' form last season

Baines - didnt get into the game. Sure as shite was not part of the defence when he came on. Wasnt involved as much as I wouldve expected. I was hoping he would have a field day but turned out.... meh...

Mirallas - Looks like he and Oviedo could get a great attacking partnership going. They clicked, they thrived. Wouldve left him on just to continue to get his confidence on. Wanted him to take people on more but thats me being greedy I suppose.

Gibons - MOTM by a country mile. Future captain; solid, calm, great range of passing, played his all. Absolute steal. Hope he can stay fit.

Naismith - moments of good, moments of awful. The personification of squad player.

Ossie - just proves my point about him sitting behind the striker. He cant play a deeper role and do the long distribution but his turning in tight corners and short passing (despite some wayward passes) were good. Age is catching up with him, he seemed very sluggish at first and never really got into a higher gear.

Felli - theres just part of his temperament that we will never get rid of unfortunately. However, he had a hunger and looks much happier in the deeper role. Maybe a bit enthusiastic at times but I was impressed that he put the effort in in a "meaningless" game.

Anichebe - apparently he was on the pitch.... Apart from his goal, didnt do much else. Expected him to prove a point but he was his usual self.

Pienaar - average

Gueye - Maggie, as Bailey said, was either great or crap. Ive always thought he had a brain in there and some of his vision proved that, but he is not fit and his body clearly doesnt do what his head says. Still, hes young and still is worth keeping patience with.

Vellios - he really tried, bless him, but this time nothing worked out for him. Still think he could be a good EPL striker.

Grant - looked good for his cameo.

Did I miss anyone?