IGNORED

How did actual stats match anticipated stats? (title change)

[Note: from a year ago]

In the 2012/2013 season, Everton scored 33 goals at home while allowing 17 at home. In away games, they scored 22 and conceded 23. Overall, the team scored 55 and conceded 40. In practice, this means the average score at home was 2-1 whereas the average score away was 1-1. How might this change in the coming season? I'd be interested in your predictions and explanations. Here are mine:

- For the 19 games at home, 40 goals scored and 20 conceded.

- For the 19 games away, 30 goals scored and 25 conceded.

The big difference that I see is a more attacking strategy - no longer sitting back on small leads but really going for the kill throughout the game. I can see a sizable increase in the number of goals scored per game. The concern, of course, will be defense. Will the increasing age of our backs affect their speed at all? In practice, I would anticipate stats for the first half of the season tracking more closely the stats from last year, whereas things could really start to change around Christmas.

Edited by Cornish Steve

• 11 months later...

Until now, I never looked back to see how goals for and against played out last season. The consensus was that we'd score more goals and let more in. That's not exactly what happened.

2012/2013: Home (33-17), Away (22-23), Total (55-40)

2013/2014: Home (38-19), Away (23-20), Total (61-39)

Quite frankly, the differences are subtle and not that great. At home, we scored 5 more over the course of the season and conceded 2 more than before. The surprising stat for me is that we conceded fewer goals away (and in total) than in the previous season. Who would have thought that Martinez would end up with a better defensive record than David Moyes?

What will change this time around? If we can maintain our excellent defensive record, it should be scoring more goals - especially away from home. And that, of course, all boils down to which strikers join the club during the summer window.

with moyes the whole team defended and we were solid as a rock. with RM, the front 4 don't defend really which you would think would make a difference. fact is he just brought in 2 proper Centre Midfielders (McCarthy, Barry) who made up for it. With better players we have the same defensive record yet have scored more goals because the front 4 is freed up.

with moyes the whole team defended and we were solid as a rock. with RM, the front 4 don't defend really which you would think would make a difference. fact is he just brought in 2 proper Centre Midfielders (McCarthy, Barry) who made up for it. With better players we have the same defensive record yet have scored more goals because the front 4 is freed up.

exactly. McCarthy and Barry filled gaps that Neville and Ossie didnt do, giving us much more stability going forward and meant the forwards (and FBs too) were free to concentrate on doing their job(s) - keeping the pressure on the opposition in the opposition half.