IGNORED

Jean Beausejour

I actually wouldn't mind him if Baines gets sold. In an ideal world we'd replace Bainesy with someone like Shaw, but in reality he'd likely command a similar fee as Baines did and I'm not sure he'd even want to come here. I'm confident Oviedo has got what it takes though so in my opinion we'd only need a backup. If we got Beausejour for a nominal fee we could get Garbutt out on loan.

I second this. Too old and ffs if we're going to sign another Wigan player can it at least be someone decent?!

We have no chance of getting Shaw if Baines goes, he signed a five year deal a few weeks ago.

Edited by Romey 1878

I think he's a pretty decent left back. From last season's starters at left back, I think he's better than Joe Bennett (Villa), Andy Wilkinson (Stoke), Javier Garrido (Norwich), Harte/Kelly/Shorey (Reading), O'Brien (West Ham) and Ridgewell/Popov (WBA). He's 29 of course, but if we were to get someone younger we'd be paying more as well. I think he could be a good and cheap option so we can spend the majority of the Baines money on a position that will actually make a difference, like a number 10 that will score and assist.

I think he's a pretty decent left back. From last season's starters at left back, I think he's better than Joe Bennett (Villa), Andy Wilkinson (Stoke), Javier Garrido (Norwich), Harte/Kelly/Shorey (Reading), O'Brien (West Ham) and Ridgewell/Popov (WBA). He's 29 of course, but if we were to get someone younger we'd be paying more as well. I think he could be a good and cheap option so we can spend the majority of the Baines money on a position that will actually make a difference, like a number 10 that will score and assist.

Thats not really much to compare him with though :)

I would rather we just saved the money and used Garbutt in rotation with Oviedo. Not saying he should be playing every other game but get him involved in cup matches and get him on at the end of games we are comfortable in.

Thats not really much to compare him with though :)

I would rather we just saved the money and used Garbutt in rotation with Oviedo. Not saying he should be playing every other game but get him involved in cup matches and get him on at the end of games we are comfortable in.

Indeed it isn't, but so what. If we can get a left back who's slightly below average for a starter to come in as a backup for probably a small fee, I'd be quite happy. He's very good going forward (he assisted 7 goals last season actually), I don't particularly rate him defensively, but you know, he'll be a backup.

I'd be fine with Garbutt being Oviedo's backup too. But for Garbutt's development it would be better to go out on loan and play 40 games against Championship competition rather than training with our first team and playing about 4 or 5 cup games against lower league sides.

Indeed it isn't, but so what. If we can get a left back who's slightly below average for a starter to come in as a backup for probably a small fee, I'd be quite happy. He's very good going forward (he assisted 7 goals last season actually), I don't particularly rate him defensively, but you know, he'll be a backup.

I'd be fine with Garbutt being Oviedo's backup too. But for Garbutt's development it would be better to go out on loan and play 40 games against Championship competition rather than training with our first team and playing about 4 or 5 cup games against lower league sides.

I just really dont like the idea of bringing people in just for back up.

I dont disagree with your logic but if we can get Garbutt involved in around 10-15 games throughout the year I think it would be ok for him.