IGNORED

TTs Deep Philosophical Thread

Matt

I once thought suicide was a selfish act, but understand now that everyone has a breaking point and theres only a certain amount any one individual can take, before self-harm comes into play. Registered with a depressin forum immediately after the death of a loved one last month, and there was a suicide section with a lot of inferest9ng stories about people with serious mind issues, and looking for the best way out of things.

Thing is, if you.re going to kill yourself, at least do it quietly. Can,t abide those who jump on front of high speed trains or tall buildings or some other highly focused method of self-harm. Simple overdose or hanging in the privacy of somewhede quiet would seem sufficient - it,s unfair to allow other people to witness your suffering or view a tragic event. Once again, if it has to be done - at least do it quietly.

On the subject of this thread, or whatever it represents, have given many thoughts as to why things happen, and are people truly punished for evil deeds ? As an athiest, and never really achieved any real malice on anyone (that didn,t deserve it) it often seems far fetched, but recent events and a significant amount of misfortune, have releasesd many questions.

Is there a god ? Does a higher power really dictate how we live our lives ? Are we really punished for sinful things ? Sometimes it's hard to think of some things. Never was a bad pers0n, yet bad things happen. Maybe it,s just a load of old cunt and nothing above natural causes and everyday occurence or random events, and i like to think that is the best way to remember things or go about our daily existences. Have i really sinned ? Is a higher power angry ? Have i truly been punished for something ? - in all probability, no - and that really is the only way to move on with our lives sometimes.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Nikica

I once thought suicide was a selfish act, but understand now that everyone has a breaking point and theres only a certain amount any one individual can take, before self-harm comes into play. Registered with a depressin forum immediately after the death of a loved one last month, and there was a suicide section with a lot of inferest9ng stories about people with serious mind issues, and looking for the best way out of things.

Thing is, if you.re going to kill yourself, at least do it quietly. Can,t abide those who jump on front of high speed trains or tall buildings or some other highly focused method of self-harm. Simple overdose or hanging in the privacy of somewhede quiet would seem sufficient - it,s unfair to allow other people to witness your suffering or view a tragic event. Once again, if it has to be done - at least do it quietly.

On the subject of this thread, or whatever it represents, have given many thoughts as to why things happen, and are people truly punished for evil deeds ? As an athiest, and never really achieved any real malice on anyone (that didn,t deserve it) it often seems far fetched, but recent events and a significant amount of misfortune, have releasesd many questions.

Is there a god ? Does a higher power really dictate how we live our lives ? Are we really punished for sinful things ? Sometimes it's hard to think of some things. Never was a bad pers0n, yet bad things happen. Maybe it,s just a load of old cunt and nothing above natural causes and everyday occurence or random events, and i like to think that is the best way to remember things or go about our daily existences. Have i really sinned ? Is a higher power angry ? Have i truly been punished for something ? - in all probability, no - and that really is the only way to move on with our lives sometimes.

Good post mate, you raise a lot of philosophical questions. I hope you're starting to feel a bit better.

Verrauxi - that's a great quote above. It really shines light on the inherent bias of educational systems and the curriculum.

I'd like to apologise for blowing my top and making some OTT observations or claims over the holiday period. I was struggling somewhat (still am grappling with things but feeling better) and shouldn't have taken things out on people. I still believe suicide isn't selfish and it isn't fair to call those who have passed selfish for taking that step, but I should have been less antagonistic about it.

I also apologised to Rubes for my ad hominems regarding him. I let myself down, I realise, and for that I am very sorry.

Edited by Nikica

Only those that have looked over the precipice and not jumped will tell you how dark and disturbing that place is. Selfish to commit suicide? Takes courage to end ones life, nobody knows the mental state of someone close until it's too late. Two childhood friends of mine commited suicide, they just could not take anymore, everyone has a breaking point. It's just most of us gladly never reach it.

Only those that have looked over the precipice and not jumped will tell you how dark and disturbing that place is. Selfish to commit suicide? Takes courage to end ones life, nobody knows the mental state of someone close until it's too late. Two childhood friends of mine commited suicide, they just could not take anymore, everyone has a breaking point. It's just most of us gladly never reach it.

I agree with that....had two friends and two family members taken their own lives. I think when you reach that kind of desperate place (very sadly) any thought for those you leave behind is either gone or you seriously feel things will be better for them them if you're gone.

Hate to bring this back to my current situation but my wife is 100% insistent that, should the worst come to the worst, she'll be gone within days of me.....due to the "things will be better for the family without a basket case to cope with" attitude.

Difficult one though.

I was asked recently by an acquaintance if I had any suicidal tendencies. I gave them a candid answer

The one thing that stops any real self-harm is the leaving of loved ones behind that will maybe culminate in a similar scenario, so that leaves desperate people between a rock and a hard place. Say it now and admit I really don't think I can go through another fucking year, but throwing yourself under a train or making a noose isn't the answer. Yes it will be difficult, damned difficult, (the counselling is still pending) but whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger so they say. Sometimes I feel nothing at all

not being selfish, most people will have their own issues, but thought the idea of this was to speak about individual perspectives. Wish I could be more hopeful.