IGNORED

TTs Deep Philosophical Thread

Matt

Idea is to collect phrases, psalms, fables, and all that deep shit. Just saw one which prompted the idea for the thread:

Whats the difference between a beginner and a master?

The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried

Work to live, dont live to work - so true....

Plus, theres my favourite in my sig ;)

Anyway, please share you favourite wise words :)

Mahatma Gandhi, as you know, walked barefoot most of the time, which produced an impressive set of calluses on his feet. He also ate very little, which made him rather frail and with his odd diet, he suffered from bad breath. This made him a super callused fragile mystic hexed by halitosis.

wrong thread :shaking fist:

Cornwall has its bard: John Harris was a tin miner who wrote some lines of verse in blackberry juice on his hands when down the mine. Almost none of his work remains in print, although his published works can be found in the library at Redruth. When I lived in Cornwall, I made copies of much of it - so my quote is a couplet from one of his poems:

"Gain a higher footing; breathe a purer air."

Speaking philosophically about the topic, do you consider suicide selfish or not? For me it definitely isn't.

I realise it's a bit different to collecting phrases but this seems the sort of serious thread where the question would fit.

I lost two friends to suicide. It's one of the most selfish acts you could do.

Nothing is ever THAT bad. Even when you believe that there is no help, there is always someone out there that can help/listen.

exactly. The only exception I can think of is a painful, debilitating disease from which theres no escape.

I lost two friends to suicide. It's one of the most selfish acts you could do.

Nothing is ever THAT bad. Even when you believe that there is no help, there is always someone out there that can help/listen.

I don't think it's possible to make that judgement unless you're inside their head; it's an easy to say when you're rational but a suicidal person is rarely rational.

Anybody who's never suffered mental health problems can't put themselves in the shoes of someone who has.

Maybe you're right but that's how I feel about it, so I can't agree entirely with the first statement.

Second, I completely understand but that still doesn't affect my opinion on Suicide.

Just last week, a woman lay on the tracks at Wolverhampton, just before a train ran over her. Multiple witnesses. That one person, indirectly, has affected a whole station full of people. Possibly scarred them for the rest of their lives. That is selfish.

Just last week, a woman lay on the tracks at Wolverhampton, just before a train ran over her. Multiple witnesses. That one person, indirectly, has affected a whole station full of people. Possibly scarred them for the rest of their lives. That is selfish.

That's kind of a different argument, and I can't begin to understand the motivation for doing it so publicly, but it must have made sense to the woman at the time. Must be terrible to witness something like that.

I don't think it's possible to make that judgement unless you're inside their head; it's an easy to say when you're rational but a suicidal person is rarely rational.

Anybody who's never suffered mental health problems can't put themselves in the shoes of someone who has.

Im only making that comment on my own experiences, Mike ;)

• 3 weeks later...

I understand the comments about people who kill themselves in public, but are you seriously suggesting that suicide is selfish? That sort of opinion is genuinely held exclusively by people who have never experienced depression.

If I killed myself tomorrow, are you saying that not only would I have suffered in life, but for the lifetimes of my contemporaries I would also be remembered as a selfish coward? If that's what some of you think of the dearly departed then I don't know what to say.

Sometimes people's lack of compassion and empathy genuinely astounds me.

It's highly ironic that some people label suicide as selfish - what is far more selfish is expecting someone to live a life of utter torment just so you can happily get on with your existence and don't have to feel the pain of their loss - pain which diminishes over time, unlike the pain experienced by many manic depressives.

In fact knowing that people have these sort of attitudes towards their fellow human being makes me want to leave the world, ironically.

I understand the comments about people who kill themselves in public, but are you seriously suggesting that suicide is selfish? That sort of opinion is genuinely held exclusively by people who have never experienced depression.

If I killed myself tomorrow, are you saying that not only would I have suffered in life, but for the lifetimes of my contemporaries I would also be remembered as a selfish coward? If that's what some of you think of the dearly departed then I don't know what to say.

It's highly ironic that some people label suicide as selfish - what is far more selfish is expecting someone to live a life of utter torment just so you can happily get on with your existence and don't have to feel the pain of their loss - pain which diminishes over time, unlike the pain experienced by many manic depressives.

In fact knowing that people have these sort of attitudes towards their fellow human being makes me want to leave the world, ironically.

I have up most respect for your posts Nikica, but quite frankly, I think your comments here are ridiculous.

Thats nonsense and I say that only because Ive gone through it (twice), so in my case its not true ;)