IGNORED

Southampton - PLs richest club?

Billionaires taking over large football clubs always makes me frown a little. Sometimes it's snobbish pleasure, but sometimes it is to sort of get themselves in the spotlight to try and prevent themselves from being subjected to government investigation and such. This is what many assume to be the case with Roman Abramovich. During the Perestrojka and Glasnost, Russia's mineral sources were sold to rich Russians like Abramovich for mere nominal fees and now Putin is hunting for them. Could this be similar?

plus a new stadium!

Modest sized one though, can't be much more than 30,000 capacity.......going to have a fraction of the gate money of United/Chelsea etc, specially given the "non sexy" location so (also) less scope for corporate even if they expand hugely. Can't see it myself.

Guess it depends what he would want from the club... just to be established in the top flight, occasional cup wins, challenging for champions league places, turning a small profit after stadium expansion. Or..... plough in loads of money and expect league titles and European trophies? If it's the former and more of a hobby than an obsession and power trip (Abramovich), then it's not a bad club to choose.

Guess it depends what he would want from the club... just to be established in the top flight, occasional cup wins, challenging for champions league places, turning a small profit after stadium expansion. Or..... plough in loads of money and expect league titles and European trophies? If it's the former and more of a hobby than an obsession and power trip (Abramovich), then it's not a bad club to choose.

Who would want their club to be a rich bastard's hobby? Nightmare scenario; could get bored at any time (discovering the joys of a yo-yo instead?) and pull the plug.

Who would want their club to be a rich bastard's hobby? Nightmare scenario; could get bored at any time (discovering the joys of a yo-yo instead?) and pull the plug.

That's a good point. But if they pulled out of Man City now they'd still be left with that awesome squad, infrastructure and increased revenue to try and maintain the success. Not saying I would want it, just that I can see why some might

So strange, the habits of billionaires...I don't mind if they take over teams if they love the game and love the team, but if it's just for prestige purposes (kinda like us common-folks owning a Rolex), then it's a bad idea. And it is also seems like a bad idea if they solely acquire the team in order to make a profit--often there are way too many vagaries to have an immediate return.

Is this guy a fan of the game or was he just at coffee with a bunch of other billionaires and they all started talking about their football clubs and he felt left out.

Or maybe I'm just jealous :) and feel like casting aspersions.

I can recall when they very nearly won the league in 1984 and back then didn't need big investment or rich owners to compete. McMenemy simply had put together a good side that played for each other and become recognized. It would be great from an impartial perspective if they could go one better and actually be league champions but would sour things a little if it were due to an influx of big money or rich takeovers.

It's a little late now for discussion but never wanted these individuals involved from day one. Starts off with one name rising to the fore, then another, then another,until it gets to a stage where everyone is looking to be involved in the struggle to compete, or even survive. Say it every time, but all this fucking cash influx is ruining soccer, not making an improvement. What happened to club sides before winning titles simply by having a good manager and team ethic, and not dependant on financial assistance to become recognized or successful ? You know, I want them to do well, They're a decent 'little' club, and from a neutral standpoint wish them well in their endeavors, but not sure if I want to see this (takeover) come to pass.