IGNORED

Why are Belgium so ridiculously overrated

Guest Nikica

Guest Nikica

Rate them too highly? Where did I say that?

It wasn't obvious what you were talking about: hence, my reply.

I think you wildly exaggerate Brazil's performance in 2002. Germany had much the better of it until Kahn's gaffe in the second half. Ballack and Schneider were brilliant that day. If they were overachieving, that surely scuppers your argument about them constantly disappointing.

Well, apologies for it not being clear.

As for your second paragraph, Ballack was suspended for the final so I'm not sure how you can say he was 'brilliant' when he didn't even play. Other than that oversight, Brazil were the better team and moved up the gears when they had to. The three Rs tore them apart (more so Ronaldo and Rivaldo, the latter was the player of the tournament imo despite the former's goals).

When I say they have disappointed, I am referring to the current generation, who would have been little kids and teenagers back when Germany hit rock bottom in the first half of the 2000s. I mention the period 2000- approx 2006 because that is when they were in the middle of their rebuilding (we can see the fruits of their labour now with their resurgence). Their poor teams didn't have the talent or the mental strength - I'm contending that this team is talented but yet to prove they can do it when the pressure is on at the semi stage or in a final.2006 they got to the semis on home soil but they weren't as talented as they are now so that is okay. 2008 is fine as well as they got to the final and lost to a superior Spanish side. The hype started when they played good football in 2010, and by 2012 every cunt who only watches football for one month every two years was saying they were going to win it 100%. I saw plenty of people say they were going to hammer Spain/Italy/whoever before the tournament. It didn't materialise.

There is substance to the hype but it's still OTT.

They're a contender for the tournament but my main problem is the hype bandwagon around them. Everyone loves them and hates Spain, which up until this tournament (we have seen what has happened with Spain) was unfair as Spain had the better squad, played the better football (people call Germany attacking and Spain boring, but Germany ironically 'parked the bus' versus Spain in 2010) and won everything while Germany won zip.

The tide may have turned now. However, if Germany do win the tournament I think it has more to do with there being no outstanding, all-time teams in this competition rather than Germany's brilliance. There are some excellent teams which Germany are amongst (some of a higher level than Belgium that is for sure) However, the same can be said about Brazil in 2002 and some other WC winners, who faced good-not-great competition (including Spain themselves).

This has been a fantastic tournament but there's no real 'all time' team in it, as Spain were in 2008, 2010 and 2012. Tbh there haven't been any all-time great international teams for ages, other than Spain. The last was probably France when they done the world/Euro double in 98/2000. Brazil in 2002 and Italy in 2006 aren't teams we will remember for decades. The Czechs threatened to be at that level in Euro 2004 but ultimately fizzled out relatively quickly, as you'd expect from a smaller nation.

Back on topic. Belgium won but they were unimpressive. I don't expect much from them here.

Edited by Nikica

• 3 weeks later...