IGNORED

Why are Belgium so ridiculously overrated

Guest Nikica

Guest Nikica

Fifth favourites for the World Cup - does anyone actually think they'll even make the semis? They're nowhere near that level, and it's a tournament too soon for them.

Also, is there a more overrated defender in world football than Kompany? He's been found out every time he plays in the Champions League, and he's unproven for Belgium in a tournament. Yet the geniuses in the English media constantly slate Ramos who is proven at every level of the game. The old premface agenda.

Hazard is probably the most overrated player in world football as well. Very good player but sickeningly overrated by the sycophantic English media.

Edited by Nikica

Fifth favourites for the World Cup - does anyone actually think they'll even make the semis? They're nowhere near that level, and it's a tournament too soon for them.

Also, is there a more overrated defender in world football than Kompany? He's been found out every time he plays in the Champions League, and he's unproven for Belgium in a tournament. Yet the geniuses in the English media constantly slate Ramos who is proven at every level of the game.

Hazard is probably the most overrated player in world football as well. Very good player but sickeningly overrated by the sycophantic English media.

Well, Hazard is the best player at Chelsea, Vertonghen the best defender at Tottenham and Lukaku and Benteke the best strikers at their respective EPL clubs. Witsel is Zenit's best midfielder, De Bruyne is Wolfsburg's best mid and Courtois the best goalkeeper in Spain. Januzaj has been the best thing coming from ManU's academy since Pogba.

On the flip side:

Kompany, in '11/'12 definitely the best defender in the EPL, has had an off season and he's been busy with buying a Brussels based lower league football team, a chain of bars and doing work for his charity project... anyways he's been doing too many things that kept his focus off football and off course he's now paying for that. Vermaelen is still a good defender, but lacks game rhythm. Alderweireld hasn't been a first team regular for Atletico, but against Sweden he was Belgium's best defender. Fellaini off course had a disappointing season at MU. And Van Buyten, though he still plays for Bayern, is indeed past his prime.

And then you got pretty good footballers like Mirallas, Mertens, Lombaerts, Chadli and Mignolet.

Belgium has no real fullbacks in their starting line-up, they use 4 CB's.

they truly are a good team, but 5th? That's just mindgames by opponents. Belgium is an unexperienced squad and they mean to break them with pressure. Off course they're not top 5. Brazil, Germany, Spain, Argentina, Netherlands, England, Portugal, France and Italy are better. If not by quality, then it's by experience. I think belgium's 'correct' result should be second round. Portugal or Germany should kick them out of the tournament imo. (Group H plays against the top 2 of group G, right?)

Guest Nikica

Well, Hazard is the best player at Chelsea, Vertonghen the best defender at Tottenham and Lukaku and Benteke the best strikers at their respective EPL clubs. Witsel is Zenit's best midfielder, De Bruyne is Wolfsburg's best mid and Courtois the best goalkeeper in Spain. Januzaj has been the best thing coming from ManU's academy since Pogba.

On the flip side:

Kompany, in '11/'12 definitely the best defender in the EPL, has had an off season and he's been busy with buying a Brussels based lower league football team, a chain of bars and doing work for his charity project... anyways he's been doing too many things that kept his focus off football and off course he's now paying for that. Vermaelen is still a good defender, but lacks game rhythm. Alderweireld hasn't been a first team regular for Atletico, but against Sweden he was Belgium's best defender. Fellaini off course had a disappointing season at MU. And Van Buyten, though he still plays for Bayern, is indeed past his prime.

And then you got pretty good footballers like Mirallas, Mertens, Lombaerts, Chadli and Mignolet.

Belgium has no real fullbacks in their starting line-up, they use 4 CB's.

they truly are a good team, but 5th? That's just mindgames by opponents. Belgium is an unexperienced squad and they mean to break them with pressure. Off course they're not top 5. Brazil, Germany, Spain, Argentina, Netherlands, England, Portugal, France and Italy are better. If not by quality, then it's by experience. I think belgium's 'correct' result should be second round. Portugal or Germany should kick them out of the tournament imo. (Group H plays against the top 2 of group G, right?)

Yes, they should lose to Portugal or Germany in 2nd round. Truth be told, I wouldn't be shocked to see them eliminated in the group.

I don't rate any of Kompany, Vertonghen or Vermaelen. Hazard will disappear on the big stage, Lukaku has ability but is still very raw (but somehow scoring goals for Belgium), Benteke is out, Alderweireld has been a sub all season, De Bruyne just isn't that good, Mirallas is good but not top class, Januzaj us a talent but being hyped above his actual ability and potential, Fellaini is being found out as just a bruiser, Kompany is poor at the top level, Van Buyten is finished. Courtois is brilliant and Mignolet is an able deputy.

mertens and Witsel are good players.

Basically, Belgium are the most overrated, overhyped golden generation since England's golden generation. But I respect that you didn't go off on one after I slated your national team and its players.

Edited by Nikica

They have a very good squad and to be honest they probably are the 5-10th best team in the world. I really do rate Belgium as a team and think they are the dark horses of the tournament. They have an easy-ish group and I think they will top it quite comfortably.

Plus do you not remember when England were the 5th best team in the world and "one of the favorites" to win a tournament. The amount the media bigged England up to be a quality team was absolute ridiculous.

Edited by bluenosetoffee

Guest Nikica

I think you're exaggerating in the other way

I reckon Belgium will be one of the flops of the tournament. I think Germany are overrated too btw. If ever there was a 'hipster's team' it's Germany.

Guest Nikica

They have a very good squad and to be honest they probably are the 5-10th best team in the world. I really do rate Belgium as a team and think they are the dark horses of the tournament. They have an easy-ish group and I think they will top it quite comfortably.

Colombia are better than Belgium and the true dark horses, for me. Chile are also better. Throw in that those two nations are playing on their home continent, and this is the first taste of a tournament for the inexperienced Belgians, and it's pretty obvious.

Don't think Belgium are top ten either. Teams better: Brazil, Spain, Italy, Germany, Argentina, Colombia, Portugal, Chile, France, Uruguay , England?. Some of these teams might look worse on paper but they're better teams on grass. They might scrape top ten but it's tight.

Edited by Nikica

Colombia are better than Belgium and the true dark horses, for me. Chile are also better. Throw in that those two nations are playing on their home continent, and this is the first taste of a tournament for the inexperienced Belgians, and it's pretty obvious.

Don't think Belgium are top ten either. Teams better: Brazil, Spain, Italy, Germany, Argentina, Colombia, Portugal, Chile, France, Uruguay , England?. Some of these teams might look worse on paper but they're better teams on grass. They might scrape top ten but it's tight.

Belgium are better than Portugal and England - for sure.

Guest Nikica

We shall see. Either they will crash out in the qualifying round or they'll make it to the semis. They have the youngest squad in the tournament, so it will be all about coaching.

I hope it's the former. The wanking over them is seriously annoying me - would like to see them brought back down to Earth.

Edited by Nikica

Guest Nikica

Belgium are better than Portugal and England - for sure.

Really? Portugal have only been eliminated by Spain in the last couple of tournaments, after giving them a pretty good game. Portugal are wank in qualifying but they tend to perform quite well in tournaments. They have more pedigree.

Nobody rates England lower than I do (generally) but if Belgium were playing England in a semi would you be confident the Belgians would win? I wouldn't.

Really? Portugal have only been eliminated by Spain in the last couple of tournaments, after giving them a pretty good game. Portugal are wank in qualifying but they tend to perform quite well in tournaments. They have more pedigree.

Nobody rates England lower than I do (generally) but if Belgium were playing England in a semi would you be confident the Belgians would win? I wouldn't.

Portugal barely qualified this time around, and now the rumour is that Ronaldo could be out.

Guest Nikica

They did well at a couple of previous World Cups.

The overall point is that I just don't think they're that good. I think a lot of their players are hyped up because they play in the Premier League. I consider the PL very inferior to La Liga (sorry).

I also think Kompany-Vermaelen is an accident waiting to happen. Verm is a shockingly bad defender. Vertonghen isn't a natural LB either.

Edited by Nikica

Guest Nikica

Portugal barely qualified this time around, and now the rumour is that Ronaldo could be out.

Qualifying counts for fuck all, let's be honest. It is never a decent representation of how a team will do in the tournament proper.

Who's to say they wouldn't be better off without him anyway? He was one of their worst players in the Spain and Germany games in 2012, 2010 and 2008. Yes, they have no good strikers but they might look better without him being the constant focal point.

Columbia without Falcao and Uruguay without Suarez are definitely not better than Belgium. Neither is Chile.

Guest Nikica

Columbia without Falcao and Uruguay without Suarez are definitely not better than Belgium. Neither is Chile.

Colombia are still a top team without Falcao. They have an abundance of good strikers. They're more about the system anyway. James Rodriguez and Cuadrado for example would walk into the Belgian team. Their defence looks weak on paper but is actually solid.

Suarez will play, so that's a moot point.

On what basis are Chile not better than Belgium? Better system, good players, better strikers, better midfield playing on their home continent.

Sounds like you're underrating these teams because their star players are missing/they don't have star players.

The only tournament in which I remember Belgium playing before was "It's a Knockout" - when they always finished last. :)

You mean Jeux Sans Frontières (given a whole new meaning by Stuart Hall's recent court appearances :unsure:)!

Loved it as a kid though.

Think the Belgian squad on paper looks fantastic and thats probably why they are rated so highly. Not seen them play together mind you and maybe they cant put it all together. I wouldnt be surprised to see them do well, but at the same time wouldnt be suprised to see them crash and burn. Young squad under development, maybe WC2014 has come 1 tournament too soon

Guest Nikica

I agree with none of these statements except the home continent bit

Did you watch any of the CONMEBOL qualifying section? Chile are definitely better than Belgium. I like Lukaku but he's more for the future in what universe are Sanchez and Vargas not better than Lukaku and Benteke (who isn't going anyway)? Name one playmaker who Belgium have who can split a defence like Valdivia?

And Chile are famed for their system. Their coach is a Bielsa disciple (Bielsa coached Chile in 2010).

Are you one of these people who thinks Holland will get through that section because they have the big names (Robben, Sneijder, Persie)?

You mean Jeux Sans Frontières (given a whole new meaning by Stuart Hall's recent court appearances :unsure:)!

Loved it as a kid though.

I'd not heard about this case and had to look it up online. Presumably this is all part of the Jimmy Saville phenomenon. It's just plain disgusting. Anyway, sorry to distract from the discussion.

Guest Nikica

Perhaps exaggerating somewhat in here but my point remains - I think lots of their players are overhyped and inexperienced and will freeze under the pressure.

As I said before (and as Matt says above) a European tournament such as France in '16, when the players are a couple of years older and wiser should be more to their liking. By then the likes of Januzaj etc will be more established.

Edited by Nikica

I think its somewhere in the middle. I do think they have a team full of players who are good enough to make an impact in the tourney and I think they have little touches that might make them a less predictable side than others (probably not the right way of putting it). For example they have the technical players like Hazard and Dembele coupled with the physical players like Lukaku and Fellaini. I would like to be the manager of that team in a knockout competition because they have plenty of ways to change their team in order to win. I dont think they can much other teams on an individual basis nor teams like Chile who are a well knit unit but they are somewhere in between and that could make them dangerous.

Name one playmaker who Belgium have who can split a defence like Valdivia?

Eden Hazard, Dries Mertens, Adnan Januzaj and Kevin De Bruyne are all better at spitting defenses that Valdivia. Plus they do it against far superior defences than what Valdivia is used to playing against.

I don't really feel like having this whole discussion. I said what I had to say and I stand by it. I think your opinion has a ground of truth but in the end I find it just too unbalanced. You talk about Belgium's team like it's Austria or Norway. It wouldn't even surprise me if you find those countries superior too.

You're talking about a team that has consistently wiped the floor with Croatia and Serbia in the qualifiers.

Edited by Mirallas

Guest Nikica

I think its somewhere in the middle. I do think they have a team full of players who are good enough to make an impact in the tourney and I think they have little touches that might make them a less predictable side than others (probably not the right way of putting it). For example they have the technical players like Hazard and Dembele coupled with the physical players like Lukaku and Fellaini. I would like to be the manager of that team in a knockout competition because they have plenty of ways to change their team in order to win. I dont think they can much other teams on an individual basis nor teams like Chile who are a well knit unit but they are somewhere in between and that could make them dangerous.

I think that's pretty fair.

Eden Hazard, Dries Mertens, Adnan Januzaj and Kevin De Bruyne are all better at spitting defenses that Valdivia. Plus they do it against far superior defences than what Valdivia is used to playing against.

I don't really feel like having this whole discussion. I said what I had to say and I stand by it. I think your opinion has a ground of truth but in the end I find it just too unbalanced. You talk about Belgium's team like it's Austria or Norway. It wouldn't even surprise me if you find those countries superior too.

You're talking about a team that has consistently wiped the floor with Croatia and Serbia in the qualifiers.

Qualifiers are notoriously misleading though. This thread was admittedly a bit of a WUM as I'm a bit fed up of hearing people cream themselves over Belgium - it's more of a reaction. Of course they're far better than Austria and Norway.

Mertens and De Bruyne yes. Hazard and Januzaj don't really play that many through balls - I'd have to disagree with you there. it's also easy to mock Valdivia as he isn't playing in Europe but that's more down to his party lifestyle than his ability. I think he's more of a playmaker than all of them, although they have strengths which he doesn't.

I'd say the truth lies in between both of our views, leaning more towards yours because of how wummy I have been until now. In truth, I always react to anything which I feel is over-praised - I try and redress the balance so it's not even anything personal against Belgium really.

I still maintain that Verm-Kompany is an accident waiting to happen. But yeah, this thread could look either prophetic or silly in 6 weeks time. But that's half the fun of football - making predictions which come off spectacularly or blow up in our faces.

Edited by Nikica

I think Belgium have as much promise as Germany at the last world cup when most of their team were young. If this world cup really brings that Belgium team on, get used to playing another tournament together, they could be favorites for the next Euros.

one problem though, their kits are horrible!

You're right Chile have the home advantage, used to the climate more than Belgium and they do have some quality players but I still think that Belgium will prove people wrong. Hazard was Chelsea's player of the season, he played REALLY well. If he brings that form into the WC then who knows.

It will go two ways for Belgium - crash & burn like people say or do really well and manage to get to the QF - SF.

As said on paper they have a great squad of players an abundance of individual talent but as with Matt I've rarely seen them play together.

Due to the above I can't really predict how well they will do and it could be a tournament to soon considering they are a fairly young side but I do think they will do fairly well.

As for comparisons to other sides it's a redundant debate for me as team's always play different when the pressure is on clash of styles and so on its one of those pretty unpredictable events with far to many variables to definitively say one way or the other

I did put £10 on them over a year ago at 33/1 as my dark horse knowing the odds would shorted a great deal closer to the tournament so will keep a close eye on them

If I was going to put money on the side I think will win it that would be Argentina and I've a feeling out of the European sides expected to do well it will be Spain to flop don't ask me why though!?

Edited by EFC-Paul