IGNORED

Dark Horses

Guest Nikica

Guest Nikica

Any particular football dark horses you have taken a shine to over the years? Did they live up to dark horse status and actually achieve anything? You can extend this topic to other sports if you so desire.

The two dark horses for the World Cup appear to be Belgium and Colombia, although I rate the latter more.

Edited by Nikica

I fucking hate most teams we play against, I never used to when I was younger, I used to like Arsenal because I thought Ian Wright was a legend and I liked Spurs because of Gazza, I don't mind Norwich because they're pretty shit and I've met a few of their players (My mate owns a bar in Norwich and they drink in there) and they were all pretty sound.

As for countries I like Belgium, Hazard is on a different level, think he'll be one of the best players in the world in a couple of seasons.

I fucking hate most teams we play against, I never used to when I was younger, I used to like Arsenal because I thought Ian Wright was a legend and I liked Spurs because of Gazza, I don't mind Norwich because they're pretty shit and I've met a few of their players (My mate owns a bar in Norwich and they drink in there) and they were all pretty sound.

As for countries I like Belgium, Hazard is on a different level, think he'll be one of the best players in the world in a couple of seasons.

that made me chuckle :lol:

This season I've made a point of watching some of the Palace games, I was interested to see how things would change under Pulis. Not thrilling but interesting in the grand scheme of things.

Hate Spurs or for that matter any team that Redknapp has got involved in. How clubs continually let him get away with it I have no idea.

I'd like to see Derby get promoted from the Championship, I was at uni in Derby for a while the last time they were in the Premier League. I'd also be happy to see Burnley come up.

Got a certain level of interest in one or two other club sides, but not what you'd describe of 'dark horse' status.

One of those, Milan, are always involved for instance, and always challenging and expecting of honors so they're never really discounted.

I don't recall many dark horse instances in recent years right now. I know at the start of the 1996 - 97 season a lot of people had us down as actual premier league challengers, but look at how that turned out.

Colombia were one of the favorites for USA 94 I remember, but were eliminated in the first round, and Holland were supposed to be the peoples bet for Euro 2004 in Portugal, but only reached the semi-finals if memory serves.

I don't know about many dark horses for this years tournament. Sure you got your usual favorites such as Germany and Spain, but as a wild chance ? Couldn't name too many. Did Australia qualify ? They could mount a surprise maybe and France would be one to watch, but can't look beyond the usual contenders.

For the World Cup I would like to see that turn into something along the lines of the way the FA Cup has gone the last couple of years with a 'no-hoper' winning it and perhaps 4 'unfashionable' football nations in the semis: Algeria, Japan, Honduras and Ecuador in the semis with Algeria edging Honduras in the final, would do.

Then we might see how the whole thing is solely about football and that money has nothing to do with it at all? Football was the reason, after all, for the choice of Qatar and not forgetting Gazprom, sorry Russia.

We all recall those plucky little North Koreans in '66, stout fellows, got knocked out at the right time though, eh. How important would England's glorious day in '66 have been if they had defeated North Korea in the final, instead of West Germany?

Yes, anybody likes to beat the best but the best and the hangers on 'in suits' and who operate solely via rule and cheque books need a kick up the arse every now and again.

Cameroon also gave it a go in '86... Cool Runnings on a football pitch!

We need a bit of a shake up in football, at all levels, in all countries and in all international competitions.

For the World Cup I would like to see that turn into something along the lines of the way the FA Cup has gone the last couple of years with a 'no-hoper' winning it and perhaps 4 'unfashionable' football nations in the semis: Algeria, Japan, Honduras and Ecuador in the semis with Algeria edging Honduras in the final, would do.

Then we might see how the whole thing is solely about football and that money has nothing to do with it at all? Football was the reason, after all, for the choice of Qatar and not forgetting Gazprom, sorry Russia.

We all recall those plucky little North Koreans in '66, stout fellows, got knocked out at the right time though, eh. How important would England's glorious day in '66 have been if they had defeated North Korea in the final, instead of West Germany?

Yes, anybody likes to beat the best but the best and the hangers on 'in suits' and who operate solely via rule and cheque books need a kick up the arse every now and again.

Cameroon also gave it a go in '86... Cool Runnings on a football pitch!

We need a bit of a shake up in football, at all levels, in all countries and in all international competitions.

That was 1990, Cameroon didn't qualify for the Mexico World Cup, and the latter was Jamaicans, not Africans.

Reading the first part again, the best team of the competition often doesn't win (the FIFA World Cup) but to suggest we're ever going to get a scenario as to what was suggested, is not about ludicrous. One team of the four may be feasible, but for that many to be involved, simply won't occur. - Think you meant to say money also, not soccer (in regard as to why Qatar and Russia were picked) - or maybe the people involved were just goddamn idiots, but we'll let it rest.

That was 1990, Cameroon didn't qualify for the Mexico World Cup, and the latter was Jamaicans, not Africans.

Reading the first part again, the best team of the competition often doesn't win (the FIFA World Cup) but to suggest we're ever going to get a scenario as to what was suggested, is not about ludicrous. One team of the four may be feasible, but for that many to be involved, simply won't occur. - Think you meant to say money also, not soccer (in regard as to why Qatar and Russia were picked) - or maybe the people involved were just goddamn idiots, but we'll let it rest.

Well, there you go. That's how much interest I take in this competition - that would make Roger Milla only 84 years old, today, instead of the 88 years old I thought he was. I never said soccer, I said football and I meant to say football but overall I stand well and truly corrected as sarcasm clearly doesn't come across well on these pages :67:

Personally I get on well with the regulars of a now defunct Spurs forum. I like them, not because they are good or bad, and certainly not because of the toerag that is Pieface Redknapp. No I like them because the fans seem to be just like us, some good some a pain in the arse. Spurs and Everton are always (for the last few years anyway) close rivals for position in the table. I always want to beat them so much, but in a friendly sort of way you understand?

Besides they have the new boys playing in Red as neighbours, and who get better publicity. It pees them off just like it does us ... perhaps even more.

Don't get me wrong I want to beat them as much as any other side, but the folks I have met have always been nice, polite and friendly to me and I have taken a like to the fans' humour.

One other side I like is WBA, the reason is I was raised near there for a few years when I was as a mere splot on the face of the landscape. Thankfully we came back to Liverpool, otherwise I may have ended up as a Baggie.

• 2 weeks later...

My dark horse team for Brazil this summer is Japan.

Some may never find out, but whatever occurs in South America this year, can't look beyond the obvious favorites such as Germany and Spain.

There's usually a surprise entry in the last four of the World Cup (Poland 1982, Belgium 1986, Bulgaria 1994, Croatia 1998, maybe Uruguay 2010 ?) and that may very well be the case this time around, but can't see someone like Japan being a part of it. I don't know all the qualified nations for this years event, but our very own United States could surprise a good many people and maybe Australia or Ivory Coast if they made it.

Some may never find out, but whatever occurs in South America this year, can't look beyond the obvious favorites such as Germany and Spain.

There's usually a surprise entry in the last four of the World Cup (Poland 1982, Belgium 1986, Bulgaria 1994, Croatia 1998, maybe Uruguay 2010 ?) and that may very well be the case this time around, but can't see someone like Japan being a part of it. I don't know all the qualified nations for this years event, but our very own United States could surprise a good many people and maybe Australia or Ivory Coast if they made it.

Id say Sweden was a bigger surprise in 1994. Bulgaria had a nice little team at the time led by the amazing Hristo Stoichkov (spelling?)

Guest Nikica

My dark horse team for Brazil this summer is Japan.

Not a bad shout. I expect them to finish second in their group, and if they do they're likely to play Uruguay, Italy or England, then Spain, Chile or Holland after that. They're probably a dark horse for the semi, but like 25 or 26 of the nations there, they can't realistically win it.

Australia were really screwed with the draw. They're in with Spain, Chile and Holland. If by some miracle they finished second there, they'd be likely to play Brazil in the last sixteen. Shame for them but it looks insurmountable.

Id say Sweden was a bigger surprise in 1994. Bulgaria had a nice little team at the time led by the amazing Hristo Stoichkov (spelling?)

Agreed mate. Bulgaria were a very good side and Stoitchkov was probably a top three player of the tournament with Baggio and Romario. In saying that, Sweden had Brolin (when he was good) and Dahlin, and a young fellow by the name of Henrik Larsson acting as a supersub.

I quite liked the '91 Marseille team with Jean Pierre Papin, but remember wanting them to get slotted for some reason in the European Cup final by Red Star Belgrade.

That was a good team. I am always sceptical of Tapie's Marseilles of that era however - their match fixing screwed us (Rangers) out of a CL final.

Edited by Nikica

I remember the '91 European Final. Marseille had an average team that included Waddle if memory serves, and Red Star became the second eastern european team to win the title after Bucharest five years previous (also by way of a goalless draw and subsequent shoot-out)

Strange in a sense that France - who gave the world the european cup / champions league - have never actually won the trophy as Marseille had it taken away in '93 for match irregularities and before that, or even since, no french team has really ever come close to being actual first winners.

Maybe this year Paris Saint Germain can end that finally and finally put France's name on that illustrious trophy.

• 2 months later...
Guest Nikica

As stated, I can only see a winner from a select group of 5 or 6.

I wouldn't however be surprised to see some teams doing better than stated. Switzerland could win that group then the last sixteen game as you seem to be implying. Bosnia are one to look out for, and Chile and Colombia should do well on their home continent.

I agree with you about Algeria - not necessarily that they will progress, but that they're not as garbage as people are saying. That group is very open tbh - all four teams could realistically qualify.

Edited by Nikica

Guest Nikica

I'm not talking about World Cup winners, I'm talking about potential exceptionnal performances from unexpected countries.

I know, that's why I talked about the possible winners in one sentence, then mentioned teams who could go a round or two further than people might expect. Although many people like Chile and Colombia so perhaps they're not the best shouts.

Edited my last post as I'd originally put 'home soil' rather than 'on their home continent'.

Edited by Nikica

Incidentally, I've been watching most games on Univision (Spanish channel), and Stoichkov is one of their commentators. It's odd hearing Spanish spoken with an Eastern European accent (not that I understand any of it).

Guest Nikica

Incidentally, I've been watching most games on Univision (Spanish channel), and Stoichkov is one of their commentators. It's odd hearing Spanish spoken with an Eastern European accent (not that I understand any of it).

In terms of attackers, Hagi, Stoitchkov, Baggio and Romario were the players of that tournament. Baggio worked miracles after a slow start, but he's remembered for the missed penalty. Bebeto and Brolin were great as well.

I loved Hagi and Stoitchokov as a kid. I remember that our school won a competition to go to a Euro 96 game. It was Romania vs Bulgaria at St James' park and I was in my element - had photos with Romanians and Bulgarians (the Romanians had a banner reading High Absolute Giant Idol i.e HAGI). Bulgaria won 1-0 with a third minute goal off the underside of the bar, but I can't recall who scored it (just kidding :wub: ).

Edited by Nikica

Since I didn't write it here, you'll have to trust me on this. To friends locally, I made three predictions: (i) England would fail to win a game; (ii) the dark horses would be Chile and Japan; and (iii) a European team would win the trophy. I stand by this with one change: substitute South Korea for Japan.

Since I didn't write it here, you'll have to trust me on this. To friends locally, I made three predictions: (i) England would fail to win a game; (ii) the dark horses would be Chile and Japan; and (iii) a European team would win the trophy. I stand by this with one change: substitute South Korea for Japan.

ooh, you're taking a big chance there...