IGNORED

USA National Team

I don't follow MLS too closely. I keep track of how our internationals are doing and that's kind of it. Sometimes I'll put it on when there is nothing better on. All the best to Luke though.

I'm the same as you Keith. Congrats to Luke hope he does well. Dom Dwyer was a Norwich acaDemy product and was injured too much so they let him go and he's lit up the league one year, other 2 he's been solid, let's hope Luke plays like that.

I have never been to a USMNT match, but I'm fixing that on Friday. I'll be at the Peru friendly at RFK. Looking forward to it, though I did see that Michael Bradley is not going to be in the side. I wish MLS would get on the international break schedule. I hope Jurgen calls Geoff Cameron. CB was a problem for us in the Gold Cup and he's looked good for Stoke thus far. And really, Jurgen wants his guys to play in European leagues. That's what Cameron is doing so I don't know why he wasn't in the Gold Cup side.

Went to the game last night at RFK. A couple of thoughts:

- Zardes stood out pretty clearly. Not sure where he was before this year, but his improvement is clear and I wouldn't be shocked if an EPL/Bundesliga team came calling in January.

- Jozy looked like he was in form. That's great to see because he was miserable in the Gold Cup.

- Most of the post-game commentary said how bad the US looked in the first half. I didn't think it was that bad. The Peru goal was off a deflection and was a bit unlucky for the US.

- The atmosphere at the game was fantastic. The Peru fans were friendly, loud and bosterious. I wanted to go drinking with them all after the game but I had to go home. The American Outlaws were great as always.

- Peruvian women tend to be very attractive.

- It's always fun to see your side win.

- RFK is an absolute dump. It is basically falling apart and is generally embarassing to look at. The paint is peeling and the concrete is crumbling and eventually someone is going to get hurt. It's 50 years old--DC can't get a new soccer stadium soon enough.

- Last thought: they only sell shit beer at RFK. Had to drink something with flavor today just to get the taste out of my mouth.

Edited by Keithb18

the last round of WC qualifying is done, 2 more to go. USA now enters the fray

CONCACAF World Cup qualifying fourth-round:

Group A: Mexico, Honduras, El Salvador, Canada
Group B: Costa Rica, Panama, Haiti, Jamaica
Group C: United States, Trinidad and Tobago, St. Vincent and the Grenadines, Guatemala

very winnable group, only need to place 1 or 2 to advance to the hex and i'm very confident even on our shite form we will still advance to the hex. I can see Mexico, Honduras, Costa Rica, Trinidad and Tobago and Jamaica advancing as well.

Edited by markjazzbassist

Mark, we should be able to win that group and qualify easily but our form has been pretty miserable for about 6 games now. I ranted about this on twitter a bit, but since Michael Bradley came to MLS from Roma in Jan 2014, I don't think he's improved and he's been in poor form most of that time, at least internationally. He wasn't great in the 2014 WC and not even that good in the Gold Cup 2015. He had certain moments in some friendlies, but I really think MLS has stunted his growth and form. He's 28, which should be right in the tail end of his prime years but he's playing with no touch or pace and often without effort.

As for the Brazil game last night, Jurgen is no friend of mine at this point, but he's right about one thing: US internationals badlly need to play in Europe. Brazil was bringing EPL starters off the bench and we only had two on the entire squad (Cameron & Guzan). Willian* tore our defense to shreds and Neymar was just playing with us. It felt like we were 50-100 years behind those guys. Not to mention--imagine the form it would take to beat that team 7-1?

* I'm a bad person but I was hoping that Willian took a knock that kept him out of our match on Saturday. Not for the season, just for our match.

Spot on Keith. I think JK is fired if we lose the confederate cup playoff which looks likely. Mexico tied a full strength Argentina side and regardless of their form their country just won't accept defeat I fear.

Yeah our players are bad, we miss Fabian (injured) and Dempsey a lot!!

As far as Bradley goes for me I think he can be the creative ACM if need be, but he might be better suited to be a DCM and try someone else in the creative slot.

Spot on Keith. I think JK is fired if we lose the confederate cup playoff which looks likely. Mexico tied a full strength Argentina side and regardless of their form their country just won't accept defeat I fear.

Provisional 'rosters' were announced last night: http://www.concacaf.com/article/concacaf-cup-2015-provisional-35-player-rosters-announced

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.espnfc.us/confederations-cup-playoff/story/2650574/landon-donovan-klinsmann-should-go-if-us-loses-to-mexico

no argument from me. i'm not a LD fan but i agree, this is win or be fired for Klinnsman. Put your money where your mouth is.

Agreed. I'm not even sure why the comments were controversial. Let's build an accountable system, coach included.

Exactly and 2+ years should be enough for the new coach to get a team qualified for the WC.

A few months ago I would have told you we would easily win this game. Now I don't know.

I'm all for him being replaced (as you all probably know by now). I don't feel confident going into the game against Mexico at all

I'm all for him being replaced (as you all probably know by now). I don't feel confident going into the game against Mexico at all

sadly neither do i. i backed JK for a long time, but now it's time for a change.

really if you look at the international landscape the only managers that last after 1 cycle are WC/Euro/Confed/Other competition winners or have been in the past. Jogi Low, Del Bosque, etc. France, England, Italy, Holland, etc are all changing managers after 1 cycle and they are going farther and doing better than us. The argument agaisnt is that we aren't as good as them so the stability of JK helps us more. I get that but i think it's time for a change if we lose.

I want a better coach though. I don't want Tab Ramos or some MLS guy. Honestly i hate the man but if Mourinho gets fired they should throw money at him.

I'm feeling more confident as the match approaches. An underreported story is that Mexico is in as poor of form as we are and they've been hit hard by injuries. They were lucky to get some huge help from the referees in order to win the Gold Cup. We can and should win this match.

Also, I'd take Mourinho--would be a huge boon to the USMNT. I wonder if Jurgen would be willing to stay on as technical director...Jurgen and Jose together!

I would not take Mourinho. I don't like his brand of soccer, and I want someone who is going to come in with a more attacking mindset.

I don't think Mou would be content with just international responsibilities either.

I respect you and your opinion and understand where you are coming from.

For me the US is sorely lacking quality attacking players. This is why under Juergen we are crap against a decent side. Bob Bradley defend first and counter was good because we have athletes not technical players. I think a mou would play to our strengths. Honestly I like bob and would have him back, I'm in the minority most likely but he's done well in Egypt and Norway.

Was just reminded by the internet that Dempsey is only 9 goals behind Donovan for the most goals scored by a US international in international competitions. I hope he gets there. I always admired Donovan, but I love Dempsey. He's got this game and WC qualifying, maybe Copa America next summer, and if he's in form, the 2018 World Cup to score 9 goals. I'd bet that he breaks Donovan's record.

Was just reminded by the internet that Dempsey is only 9 goals behind Donovan for the most goals scored by a US international in international competitions. I hope he gets there. I always admired Donovan, but I love Dempsey. He's got this game and WC qualifying, maybe Copa America next summer, and if he's in form, the 2018 World Cup to score 9 goals. I'd bet that he breaks Donovan's record.

I hope so too Keith, Dempsey is my favorite American player.

I respect you and your opinion and understand where you are coming from.

For me the US is sorely lacking quality attacking players. This is why under Juergen we are crap against a decent side. Bob Bradley defend first and counter was good because we have athletes not technical players. I think a mou would play to our strengths. Honestly I like bob and would have him back, I'm in the minority most likely but he's done well in Egypt and Norway.

I agree that we lack the technical ability but at the same time I want someone to come in and shake our foundation with good soccer. Jurgen tried it but unfortunately I don't think he's much of a tactical mastermind in the first place. I also don't feel he uses players correctly, and he never allows chemistry to build because he shifts players in and out of the squad too much.

Hell of a match. Didn't go our way but the neutral was in for a treat.

For me jones or beckerman should have been off at 70' for Williams. No idea why Fabian came off, he was consistent for us.

The subs were strange and super late. His attack style was non evident as we parked the bus and countered all day.

JK can go for me too but I don't think they'll fire him. Us soccer loves him