IGNORED

Local wildlife

Cornish Steve

In recent days, a lone coyote has been wandering the neighborhood. We've seen it a couple of times. This evening, I let one of the dogs out, and he raced into the woods, hackles raised, barking aggressively - which is totally out of character. I suspect the coyote was out scavenging for food.

It can get interesting around here at times. We've seen a lot of deer this year in our back yard. A few years ago, friends of ours were out walking their dog and found a black bear blocking their path home.

Guest millwallforever

In recent days, a lone coyote has been wandering the neighborhood. We've seen it a couple of times. This evening, I let one of the dogs out, and he raced into the woods, hackles raised, barking aggressively - which is totally out of character. I suspect the coyote was out scavenging for food.

It can get interesting around here at times. We've seen a lot of deer this year in our back yard. A few years ago, friends of ours were out walking their dog and found a black bear blocking their path home.

I live right in the middle of the city. The funny thing is that I have observed more wild animals here than I ever did on the countryside.

Birds (feathered kind) Red Kites (lots) Jays, Green Woodpecker, Parakeets, Magpies, Wood pigeons, plus all the usual garden birds. Squirrels, Hedgehogs, Foxes.

Old Country saying:

How to tell Rooks from Crows.

If you see lots of Crows together, they're Rooks and if you see a Rook on its own, its a Crow.

The other thing we've seen a lot of this year is snakes. I'm not a big lover of them myself, but my youngest son is really into them and knows all the types we see around here. Once, after parking the car on the driveway, two yellow-and-black snakes blocked my way to the house. It turns out they are garter snakes and not venomous. There was also a green snake in our back yard, and it's not uncommon to see a king snake. The largest this summer, though, was a rat snake - at least five feet long. Mind you, they are good to have around because they feed on some of the venomous snakes in this area.

The most notable discovery, though, was found by the heating maintenance guy. He went up into the loft to check our heating systems and found a rather large snake skin up there. We think it's from a rat snake, but I'm none too pleased to have a large snake slithering around up there.

Edited by Cornish Steve

The other thing we've seen a lot of this year is snakes. I'm not a big lover of them myself, but my youngest son is really into them and knows all the types we see around here. Once, after parking the car on the driveway, two yellow-and-black snakes blocked my way to the house. It turns out they are garter snakes and not venomous. There was also a green snake in our back yard, and it's not uncommon to see a king snake. The largest this summer, though, was a rat snake - at least five feet long. Mind you, they are good to have around because they feed on some of the venomous snakes in this area.

The most notable discovery, though, was found by the heating maintenance guy. He went up into the loft to check our heating systems and found a rather large snake skin up there. We think it's from a rat snake, but I'm none too pleased to have a large snake slithering around up there.

I'd seal the attic up. Or move house.

Move to Paris, they have a cute Tiger on the loose, looking to eat your pet dog or your children or you if needs be.

I live close to lots of farmers fields and wildlife here on the edge of Litherland.

We get little roe deer here, badgers, foxes, owls, Kestrals, marsh harriers etc.

I genuinally love wildlife.