IGNORED

Question on house prices

MikeO

Wife and I (wife in particular) are both lucky enough to have fairly wealthy parents all in their eighties with one pushing ninety. Now I love them all to bits but the day will come in the next decade or so when we'll get substantial bequests. All being well health wise with us the plan is to buy a house in England and move abroad to work as long as we're able, rent out the house in England then eventually come home to it. Obviously my choice would be somewhere within reasonable distance, say 25/30 miles of Goodison....or the new stadium. Picking a budget out of thin air, would I be likely to get a three bed place for £100,000 or less in a half decent area?

Intentionally mate unless you said something more than, "deserves its own thread" :unsure:.

put it in this thread ;)

No worries. All I was saying, is that it may be worth looking into living abroad? I imagine Greece is cheap, you could open a BnB and run that. I know there's some personal commitments, like Josh's education, but living abroad might be good for you all :)

Edit: oh, and the most important thing - near an airport so you can commute to the games ;)

Edited by Matt

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-21838961.html

Not the greatest size, but as a part time home it' would be fine. Although the other side of Fazakerley is quite rough.

Recent murder aside melling road is decent right on the race track which has a little golf course and driving range. http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-32277834.html

Edited by pete0

put it in this thread ;)

No worries. All I was saying, is that it may be worth looking into living abroad? I imagine Greece is cheap, you could open a BnB and run that. I know there's some personal commitments, like Josh's education, but living abroad might be good for you all :)

Edit: oh, and the most important thing - near an airport so you can commute to the games ;)

Looked at that and it's still a possibility. Josh's education doesn't really come into it as he's nineteen in June and 95% certain he doesn't want to go to uni. Greece is strange; buying a house is not cheap whereas renting one is much cheaper than here, mates of ours live in a fairly comfortable two bed flat for €250 a month!

It may be where we want to end up but renting there first and seeing how it goes definitely seems the way to go rather than jumping in and buying with nothing to come home to.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-21838961.html

Not the greatest size, but as a part time home it' would be fine. Although the other side of Fazakerley is quite rough.

Recent murder aside melling road is decent right on the race track which has a little golf course and driving range. http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-32277834.html

Thanks for those Pete, really interesting. Just casting around looking at the moment, my mother and my in-laws are all healthier than I am so the stubborn bastards will probably all outlive me anyway :lol:.

Looked at that and it's still a possibility. Josh's education doesn't really come into it as he's nineteen in June and 95% certain he doesn't want to go to uni. Greece is strange; buying a house is not cheap whereas renting one is much cheaper than here, mates of ours live in a fairly comfortable two bed flat for €250 a month!

It may be where we want to end up but renting there first and seeing how it goes definitely seems the way to go rather than jumping in and buying with nothing to come home to.

didnt realise renting was so cheap, much better idea! Don't see the point in getting a house up north though of you would leave for abroad later on?

25/30 mile out, you could leave near me pal!

Get the beauty of all things. Close to cities, open countryside, good places to visit etc. Could get a cottage or semi for that price (potentially).

May have to increase the budget slightly.

Sounds good, think being a cash buyer will help as well....I'll drive a hard bargain!

Thanks for those Pete, really interesting. Just casting around looking at the moment, my mother and my in-laws are all healthier than I am so the stubborn bastards will probably all outlive me anyway :lol:.

You're welcome, pity I only know the areas near the riffraff though aha. Good luck anyhow.

Edited by pete0

didnt realise renting was so cheap, much better idea! Don't see the point in getting a house up north though of you would leave for abroad later on?

Ideally, given the right timing, buy up north and move abroad at the same time leaving the house with an agent so letting it unfurnished and put all our stuff (that we can't take with us) in storage.

There are at least 2 other personal points that would swing any debate in different directions, but don't really want to put them out here

I'm sure there's that and more Matt, as I said, it's a long way from happening and if it does happen all sorts of loops and stumbling blocks along the way. You probably know more having lived abroad so long :).

I'm sure there's that and more Matt, as I said, it's a long way from happening and if it does happen all sorts of loops and stumbling blocks along the way. You probably know more having lived abroad so long :).

im trying to think about it long term because my future lodgings might be in question soon and I might have the same questions (through necessity rather than inheritance, Gods willing)

Just seen you so excited about your holidays that, in my opinion, you might as well have an extended vacation ;) my parents rented their house whilst they were abroad and had nothing but issues with it

im trying to think about it long term because my future lodgings might be in question soon and I might have the same questions (through necessity rather than inheritance, Gods willing)

Just seen you so excited about your holidays that, in my opinion, you might as well have an extended vacation ;)my parents rented their house whilst they were abroad and had nothing but issues with it

There's always that risk.

Perfect scenario. Josh gets a good job in Liverpool (it's where he wants to be). Lives in our house, pays the rent on time and hoovers once a week (his mum would write that into the contract).

There's always that risk.

Perfect scenario. Josh gets a good job in Liverpool (it's where he wants to be). Lives in our house, pays the rent on time and hoovers once a week (his mum would write that into the contract).

so looking to invest in student accomodation? Aren't there some decent flats around the docks? I looked into buying a penthouse in Birkenheads docks developments for 120k about 5 years ago

As an example. For rental purposes, Crewe is very saught after at the minute because of its commuting accesses.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-33224085.html

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-39980074.html

Just two examples of a house, near that price but it depends on what you want/need.

Look great to me J....personally I've never been overly bothered by the house I live in, not ever been on my list of priorities. If the wife and the family are happy then so am I. We lived in a right couple of shitholes when we were first together but wasn't a problem for me.....apart from the other half moaning :D.

so looking to invest in student accomodation? Aren't there some decent flats around the docks? I looked into buying a penthouse in Birkenheads docks developments for 120k about 5 years ago

But then you have to sell that to buy somewhere else and you're in a chain.

I want to keep deals and moves to an absolute minimum (i hate moving house).

Look at new developments and buy off the builder mid-development. We did this and saved loads (and made it when we sold) as the developers didn't want to start the next phase on the develoent until they had sold the last remaining properties. As it went, we paid 75% of the value of which we sold the house for, whereas the neighbours paid full price for the same house having bought off plan.

Look at new developments and buy off the builder mid-development. We did this and saved loads (and made it when we sold) as the developers didn't want to start the next phase on the develoent until they had sold the last remaining properties. As it went, we paid 75% of the value of which we sold the house for, whereas the neighbours paid full price for the same house having bought off plan.

Sounds good to me but wife is rabidly anti new-build, and I agree that most of them are truly horrible and thrown up like flat pack furniture, but there are always exceptions. Nice thought though finance wise.