IGNORED

Greece - tragedy or comedy?

Cornish Steve

It is certainly not funny but nor is it a tragedy as it is largely self-inflicted. I was reading an article recently which stated that there is large scale tax avoidance in Greece and much corruption. In most European countries (though there are other exceptions) people pay their taxes and don't see why they should bail out countries that don't.

It is certainly not funny but nor is it a tragedy as it is largely self-inflicted. I was reading an article recently which stated that there is large scale tax avoidance in Greece and much corruption. In most European countries (though there are other exceptions) people pay their taxes and don't see why they should bail out countries that don't.

This is true, but they're hardly unique in that. Try to pay for a meal in a Greek taverna with a card and invariably "the machine's broken," cash is king.

Don't know what the answer is; the bailout has failed completely and has in fact made things worse (apparently finding an economist outside of Germany who thinks it was a good idea is nigh on impossible). There's no way Greece can repay it however many hundreds of years you give them.

If Greece were an individual they'd just go bankrupt, no idea what a country does in the circumstances.

Creditors need to negotiate though because there's no way they're going to get back anything approaching what they put in....unless massive oil reserves are discovered in the Aegean in the next fortnight.

Go back to the drachma, cheap holidays, rely on tourism and home made ales, food, hotels.

All inclusive nonsense screwed up that country and Germany owns all the energy.

My favourite country to visit by a long way.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2927991/Greece-s-radical-new-leader-declares-war-country-s-inclusive-resorts-visited-tens-thousands-Brits-year.html

Hopefully that'll be sorted.

It's one country that should just be allowed to have a 3 star hotel where your toilet roll goes in a bin and a pint of mythos costs £1.00.

I love the place but cheap low standard all inclusive holidays are destroying a culture with some of the best authentic food you can taste.

Been to Corfu x 2, Rhodes, crete x2, kos x 2, skiathos.

Best was Corfu 30 years ago and only skiathos recently matched it to authenticity. Skiathos is awesome, must visit.

It's one country that should just be allowed to have a 3 star hotel where your toilet roll goes in a bin and a pint of mythos costs £1.00.

I love the place but cheap low standard all inclusive holidays are destroying a culture with some of the best authentic food you can taste.

Been to Corfu x 2, Rhodes, crete x2, kos x 2, skiathos.

Best was Corfu 30 years ago and only skiathos recently matched it to authenticity. Skiathos is awesome, must visit.

Went to Kos about thirty years ago and that was it until Zakynthos in 2004, 2005, 2007, 2011, 2013 and again this year. We kind of like it :lol:.

We avoid travel agents, the big resorts and organised tours though. Little village, small beach (for wife), one bar (for me), one shop, one taverna (with another twenty minutes walk away). Always have transport so we can get a bit of "life" if we want it. Perfect.

Easyjet have just this week announced that they're starting flying there from Liverpool this year btw :).

Went to Kos about thirty years ago and that was it until Zakynthos in 2004, 2005, 2007, 2011, 2013 and again this year. We kind of like it :lol:.

We avoid travel agents, the big resorts and organised tours though. Little village, small beach (for wife), one bar (for me), one shop, one taverna (with another twenty minutes walk away). Always have transport so we can get a bit of "life" if we want it. Perfect.

Easyjet have just this week announced that they're starting flying there from Liverpool this year btw :).

Wouldn't happen to be the dream hotel in tregaki would it???

Cracking hotel. Got engaged in zakynthos in 2011.

Wouldn't happen to be the dream hotel in tregaki would it???

Cracking hotel. Got engaged in zakynthos in 2011.

It wouldn't no, the "hotel" we stay in is so little it doesn't even have room numbers :lol:.

Never really stopped in Tragaki on my travels but the Dream looks really nice and like the fact that it's a healthy distance from Tsilivi!

What time of year were you there? Spent most of August there in 2011, we could've had a beer :D.

It wouldn't no, the "hotel" we stay in is so little it doesn't even have room numbers :lol:.

Never really stopped in Tragaki on my travels but the Dream looks really nice and like the fact that it's a healthy distance from Tsilivi!

What time of year were you there? Spent most of August there in 2011, we could've had a beer :D.

June 2011. Great hotel, family run. Strangely enough Aaron Ramseys mum was staying, I didn't meet her but there are loads that keep going back.

In skiathos it was daft, stories about Goldie Hawn, de niro, Travolta all having their yachts there. True or not you can see why. Greek islands are a must see.