IGNORED

Best Broadband Provider

Hafnia

Seen a lot of BT Openreach vans around recently and people working on those green cabinet things, so I checked their website...

Coming SoonYour area will be enabled within the next six months and we'll provide more details nearer the time. At the moment you can't order Superfast Fibre.

:jump for joy:

Now available. Being given a minimum guarantee of 68mbs and an estimate of between 76/80 (bit of a leap from 4mbs).

Thing is, I'm half way through an eighteen month contract so TalkTalk are going to have little incentive to give me a good price so I need to work out how to approach it. How does it work anyway? Presumably I'll need a new router, any advice?

The router etc should be part of your installation package. Apart from that, not sure.

I got out of my contract because my previous providers upped the price halfway through via a discreet loophole. In doing so, they were legally obliged to give any customer who wasn't happy with that immediate termination upon request. Might be something to look into? To be honest, the new provider should know all the tricks of getting out of your existing one, they want the business after all!

Like a few of you I have also been suffering with the Sky broadband, and am moving flat soon so will be able to get the previous unavailable fibre optic (up to 80mbps one, Virgin super fast is not available however).

I was wondering if anyone who has this type of fibre optic, seems to be the top offering of Sky/BT/PlusNet etc, could tell me if like Mike has said, they will always be able to provide the minimum of 68mbps? Or is this on a case by case basis?

I don't want to buy in to the top package and then be stuck with a crap sub 10mbps speed after it's all been installed. Having had to put up with a average of 2.5mbps at my old flat with Sky's normal 'broadband', the prospect of 68mbps seems almost too good to be true!

I will say, 30-40 is plenty depending on how many you are in the building. I often stream the football in HD, whilst baby watches Peppa Pig on Netflix, the wife is on Skype with her folks and I'm tapping about on here and there's never a glitch

Edit. Just be aware of the "up to" phrase. I was assured that that meant guaranteed and it was just lost in translation, but it's just a way to get you to sign up. Always try a speed test, Ookla is independent and reliable, which should tell you the possibilities in your area

Edited by Matt

The router etc should be part of your installation package. Apart from that, not sure.

I got out of my contract because my previous providers upped the price halfway through via a discreet loophole. In doing so, they were legally obliged to give any customer who wasn't happy with that immediate termination upon request. Might be something to look into? To be honest, the new provider should know all the tricks of getting out of your existing one, they want the business after all!

I've not actually spoken to anyone yet; certain that TalkTalk will try to keep me because they want my business as badly as anyone else.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

"Going Live" on fibre tomorrow! Just went for "medium" speed in the end 'cos it's cheaper and there's only the two of us use it so (as Matt said above) that'll be plenty; been guaranteed minimum 39mbps or I can cancel the contract, thought going for 80 was overkill really.

Always upgrade it if you want too....should get much better streaming now... get on kodi..

No longer got sky sports or movies...

That reminds me, seen a film called "dope" the other night... very good.

which program are you using in Kodi?. I've been flicking between Kodi and Mobdro, but the connection is always dropping after long periods of perfect picture. I've got a steady 40mbs connection so can't fathom why it's always cutting out Edited by Matt

which program are you using in Kodi?. I've been flicking between Kodi and Mobdro, but the connection is always dropping after long periods of perfect picture. I've got a steady 40mbs connection so can't fathom why it's always cutting out

Thought Mobdro was only for Android.

hold fast mate, I'm wondering if the firestick is the issue. Can't find anything about how close to the router it needs to be

My router is about three feet from the TV so hopefully won't be an issue.

Have some research to do though; wife records loads on the Sky+ so getting rid of Sky completely would be an issue.

I'm on TalkTalk which I am not happy with. The problem is that most people you ask about their provider, whoever it is, say its crap and they're thinking of changing. My sister is with Sky and raves about it but other people I have spoken to say its crap and they are going to change. One of the minor hassles of changing is having to change email addresses. A bit like changing address and telephone number.

We have also got cable in our road which is another option.

I'm on TalkTalk which I am not happy with. The problem is that most people you ask about their provider, whoever it is, say its crap and they're thinking of changing. My sister is with Sky and raves about it but other people I have spoken to say its crap and they are going to change. One of the minor hassles of changing is having to change email addresses. A bit like changing address and telephone number.

TalkTalk get a bad press but I've never had a problem with them, maybe just lucky.

Changed providers many times over the years but always kept the same hotmail email addy, you might have to start a new one if you change but just don't use it! I must have six or seven that are dormant.

My router is about three feet from the TV so hopefully won't be an issue.

Have some research to do though; wife records loads on the Sky+ so getting rid of Sky completely would be an issue.

IMO if you are gonna do it get an ethernet cable attached device. Save any wireless drop in speed.

Matt I use Kodi and am currently using the blackbox build. I think the beast is the best build.

Johnh, ive been on BT, Virgin, and Sky and I've never changed my Email address. Why would you want to.?

• 7 months later...

Just had an email from Talktalk titled "Important information about your account" (translates as "price going up")....

"To keep bringing all of our customers more of what matters, like 100% totally unlimited broadband as standard, we need to increase prices on your current TalkTalk SimplyBroadband with Fibre package from 8th November 2016. But there’s some really good news. We’ve just introduced new Fixed Low Price Plans that bring you everything you currently enjoy, at a lower monthly price. So if you move to one of these new plans, you can avoid these price rises on your current package and pay less than you pay today."

So actually they sent me a message saying it was going to go from £42.50pm to £44.25 while at the same time offering me the option of exactly the same deal as I currently have for £32pm (guaranteed price for 18 month contract though I can leave free of charge if I find a better deal after three months) :dont know:.

I took them up on their kind offer!