IGNORED

Central midfield

MC11

Yes, I'm on one again.

Central midfield is the problem. We consistently play with two players doing one mans job and neither of them have an ounce of creativity in them. Until this changes we're going to be the boring predictable side that we are..

FFS get someone with a footballing brain in the middle of the park.... Let McCarthy or Barry do the one man job on their own and FFS stop playing central players out wide.

I couldn't give two shites if Cleverley played there for Wigan he is most certainly not a wide player!! Completely evidential from Saturday.... Nor is Barkley and nor is Naismith

yes mc. if barry had more pace he could travel up the pitch and send passes like he did when he was on loan here. now he sits, mccarthy occaisionally goes forward but he doesn't pass that well.

the only thing i can think of is that RM himself was a DCM so maybe he just gets overly excited about that position. no idea.

as far as central players playing out wide, either we are too skint to get wingers or he's just mad and plays central players out wide. moyes used to do it as well, so square peg round hole and all that.

Edited by markjazzbassist

The best performance from Barkley have come from sitting deeper. Get him in there with McCarthy let them grow as a partnership. If Martinez has brought Cleverley in to play wide there is something majorly wrong!

I meant play wide sorry not centre mid. I agree Barkley looks better coming from deep.

yes mc. if barry had more pace he could travel up the pitch and send passes like he did when he was on loan here. now he sits, mccarthy occaisionally goes forward but he doesn't pass that well.

the only thing i can think of is that RM himself was a DCM so maybe he just gets overly excited about that position. no idea.

as far as central players playing out wide, either we are too skint to get wingers or he's just mad and plays central players out wide. moyes used to do it as well, so square peg round hole and all that.

We've got 3 out and out wingers 2 of which are injured.... We have Pienaar and Oviedo! That's 5 players that should be playing there ahead of these central players. The worrying thing is these injuries, just why can't we keep players fit? there is something massively wrong behind the scenes Edited by MC11

Cleverley can work fine on that left hand side, but he's not out there to play as a winger, he's there to link up with the left back. Pienaar also wasn't a winger, but did the job of linking play superbly. Galloway is not the left back for that role though, the kid is a centre back and did a great job defensively but he's not got it going forward. Maybe Oviedo will play left back on Saturday, he'll be better suited if fit.

Barkley will end up playing alongside McCarthy when, or if, we sign the play maker we need. If not, he will have to keep playing further forward. But we will be even more open to counter attacks when this happens, unless we stop using our full backs to attack. Barry covering the left side and McCarthy covering the right has given the full backs the protection to get forward. That can't happen with Barkley without wasting his ability to break forward.

Edited by StevO

The thing is we dont need two defensive midfielders at home. But if we play Barkley alongside Mccarthy that is different. Ross can see the whole pitch in front of him . i was a kid and watched Gascoigne boss a great everton midfield. ive not seen a midfielder that could do that until Barkley, running from deep in a central position he could be unplayable.We need to fuck Peanuts off totally and gibson. bring up Ledson to the first team. fuck the en vogue 4-2-3-1 that everyone is playing and play change your team about depending on the team we are playing. let them guess us. play three centre halves with wing backs, play a christmas tree, play a diamond just dont play the same formation every week for fucks sake. Moyes played 4-5-1 every game ive had enough of the same tired shit

You don't need two sitters... Been through this before.

Cafu & Carlos were two of the most offensive full backs ever and Brazil didn't have two sitters. It totally nullifies your attack with two defensive midfielders on the pitch. They're doing one mans job. Making it worse that both can't adapt and go the other way.

For me it's not working and hasn't for a long time.

You don't need two sitters... Been through this before.

Cafu & Carlos were two of the most offensive full backs ever and Brazil didn't have two sitters. It totally nullifies your attack with two defensive midfielders on the pitch. They're doing one mans job. Making it worse that both can't adapt and go the other way.

For me it's not working and hasn't for a long time.

Yeah they won the World Cup in 2002, Cafu and Roberto Carlos attacking all day long. But they did have two sitters, Gilberto Silva and Kleberson, they also had three centre halfs behind them. The Brazilian press hated Scolari for it, until he won the World Cup anyway.

But when you have Rivaldo, Ronaldo and Ronaldinho in front of them i guess it made life a bit easier.

The two holding players were one of the main reasons we were so successful in Martinez first season. The players not playing fast enough, the opposition happy to sit back, the poor form of too many attacking players, are why we've struggled since.

Add into it that teams in the Europa league lost an average of 0.4 points per premier league game hasn't helped either. (a study carried out on results over the last five years I think it was).

But you don't have to agree, I'm not really that bothered either way.

Let's go more modern.... Barca

Two attacking full backs in Alves and Alba. Busquets does all the sweeping.

I'll give you that, but they attack one full back at a time. On the opposite side a midfielder pushes wide to support Messi or Neymar, rather than both full backs getting up.

It's not about having two attacking full backs, it's about them attacking at the same time. Like when Baines puts a cross in the box and Coleman scores from it. If you lose possession it leaves you very exposed. But Barca also defend from the front, we don't.

But in the same way as the Brazilian team, when you line up with a front three like that, how much do you need to worry about defending?