IGNORED

Man Utd - 3 August 2016 (Rooney Testimonial)

Louis

the main positive for me was the quick closing down. It stopped Utd being comfortable on the ball in areas of the pitch when we did it.

I only watched the game on my phone so didn't couldn't really analyse individual players that well but attacking wise we weren't great. at times we moved tihngs quickly and looked to get forward quick but it was just a bit sloppy at times and just a bit lacking really.

we definitely need recruits but I wasn't appalled by it, hopefully with another tough game under our belt on Saturday and a good bit more training we'll be looking more ready.

Went to the game last night. Some observations (many said before):

1. We were markedly better when the subs came on (Lennon, Besic, Cleverley, Oviedo) - especially down the left. Lots of energy and full of running. Mirallas was good, too, from HT.

2. Route 1 to Lukaku is not a plan. He needs to go.

3. Some nice touches from Barkley (all the United fans round me went quiet when he got on the ball near goal) but he did nowhere near enough. One run, one back heel, then ambling round. For the life of me, I don't know why he doesn't just put the burners on and go.

4. Holgate was very good.

5. Davies didn't look out of place.

6. As has been said, we are far too slow in the middle of the park. Barry, McCarthy et al need to go.

7. As has been said, Stekelenburg's kicking was woeful.

8. United were dreary.

9. Going to be a long season. I'd like Koeman to be really brave and play the youth and the energy players.

Great overview. Mirror my thoughts exactly.

the main positive for me was the quick closing down. It stopped Utd being comfortable on the ball in areas of the pitch when we did it.

I only watched the game on my phone so didn't couldn't really analyse individual players that well but attacking wise we weren't great. at times we moved tihngs quickly and looked to get forward quick but it was just a bit sloppy at times and just a bit lacking really.

we definitely need recruits but I wasn't appalled by it, hopefully with another tough game under our belt on Saturday and a good bit more training we'll be looking more ready.

Completely agree. We looked a team possessed for 20 minutes, it was brilliant. I really rate Bailly but there were serveral times he was put under huge pressure for Deulofeu and he had to keep going backwards....De Gea made some awful clearances when the pressure was on too.

The final we're still lacking that final ball. Mirallas' introduction in the second half improved things but he only had Kone (sigh) and the sideways passers (Clev and Besic) for support. Ovideo tried but his final ball was also lacking.

Overall we looked alright, we'd still do OK if the league started tomorrow, however up front we're still short. Our central midfield presence is not dynamic or good enough....it's too slow and not direct. a top top GK needs to be a priority.

We stil need:

1 x GK - Starter. Lloris level (at the time he moved to Spurs) for me.

1 x CB - To partner/compliment Mori (Williams)

1 x RB - Cover for Coleman, someone more defense minded (Thought Seamus was great last night going forward and actually his tackling was very good last night)

1 x CDM - A powerhouse, some presence in midfield who can spread passes (Carvalho for me)

1 x LW/AM - We just don't have the options if Mirallas is out and when Barkley's not 'on it', our options are thin.

2 x ST - One either replaces Rom or starts alongside him. The other to provide competition and stop Kone.