IGNORED

Burnley (Home) Saturday April 15th

markjazzbassist

A game of two halves. Burnley were the better team in the first half, and we have Barkley and Joel to thank for not going into the break a goal down. We were a different team in the second half. Despite Joel's stupid challenge, it was clear we were going to win easily. Why couldn't we have played like that in both halves?

First and foremost, I can't say enough about Holgate. He was in the thick of it, and he barely put a foot wrong. Burnley attacked down his side, but he was up to it. We attacked down the same side, and Holgate was absolutely key. His crosses are great, and his defending is reliable. He almost got himself on the score sheet today.

On the other hand, Mirallas frustrates the daylights out of me. He was pretty much anonymous in the first half. In the second, he was often in the action, but his selfishness cost us more than once and he scuffed his best chance. I'd like him to succeed, but the truth is we should get rid of him.

Jagielka had a complete nightmare in the first half. The first save made by Joel to bail him out, I thought, was outstanding. For the second, he was fortunate that Vokes hit a tame shot. It was clear in the second half that Jags decided to kick the ball out of play more often. Koeman must have had a word. It was nice to see Jagielka's goal, though, and his celebration.

Barkley had a good game, I thought. You could tell he wanted to make a point today, and it's a shame his name doesn't go next to his goal. He made it and deserved it. He and Barton appeared to have a somewhat friendly feud. Are they similar players?

What can I say about Lukaku? He's anonymous in the first half. He played quite unselfishly in the second (can Mirallas learn from that?!). His goal defines him: Almost out of nothing there's a quick turn and a lethal finish. This is what makes him a great striker. He doesn't need to be on form all 90 minutes. Just produce moments of brilliance like that and he's worth every penny.

Joel was rightly criticized for his foul that led to the penalty, Clearly, he was going for the ball, but that's no excuse. I have to ask, though: why were no defenders within five yards of play? They looked leaden-footed. Joel will learn from this - it didn't cost us - but, despite his saves to save Jagielka, he had a mixed game. Strong punch, poor pat down. Aggressive claiming of the ball, missing it another time. I still stand by him, though, and I don't understand the comment about bringing on Stekelenburg.

Davies was another who was much better in the second half. He tries a few too many clever tricks. Some pay off and some do not. Burnley crowded us out in the first half, and that made Davies look poor. He was more himself in the more flowing second half.

Schneiderlin, I though, had an average game. What a goal it would have been, though, if someone had gotten on the end of that clever flick.

It bears repeating: We have an awesome player in Mason Holgate. I am so impressed.