IGNORED

The left-back conundrum

As the JTW opens shortly and debates of which positions require strengthening run rampant, I’d like to hear out opinions on which available/target LB should be brought in the upcoming month. This topic unfortunately does in fact suggest Cuco Martina is not our solution to the weakness in this position...a sure surprise for many of you! 😇

Personally, I think a younger, left-footed, PL-tried player would be ideal to inherit. Thus Luke Shaw comes to mind as either a loan-to-buy or buy deal. Names such as Bertrand and Van Aanholt have their benefits as well though. 

I’m not well-acquainted with other European choices, but I know plenty of squads looking to offload excess players and players looking to gather minutes or time in a better league. 

Last note, bringing in ANY good LB doesn’t imply simple success. How these players will fit in defensively and, more importantly these days, offensively is important to consider. Any player brought in should mesh well with Siggy and be mightily capable on the cross (two aspects we clearly don’t have presently). 

Enjoy all! 

I like Bertrand but don’t think he’d join us in this window - especially after Southampton selling van Dijk. Chilwell is another who I like but don’t think would be available - likewise, Thierney at Celtic.

As mentioned previously, I’m not a fan of van Aanholt. Shaw is an interesting one and I wouldn’t be disappointed if we signed him - huge risk with his fitness though.

Bryan from Bristol C has been mentioned and he’s looked decent in the little I’ve seen. I’ve seen more of and been impressed by Douglass at Wolves but they only signed him last summer.

Does Digne need a loan move away from Barca in a World Cup year? Baba Rahman at Chelsea?

Sadly, I think we missed a trick with Robertson from Hull in the summer as he’d fit the bill perfectly.

Left back is a must so if we fail to identify what we need in January I’d rather register Garbutt or recall Robinson (who’s doing well at Bolton after a tough start) than persist with Cuco.

5 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

First things first activate garbutt and add to the roster in January.  Second go get one of sessegnen (Fulham), chilwell (Leicester), Gaya (Valencia), Thierney (Celtic), etc.

Don't really know chilwell, but like all the others on the list.  Reckon Sessegnon ends up a left winger, still love to get him.

I'd add Philipp Max (Augsburg) to the top of that list.  10 assists in 17 Bundesliga games, a wand of a left foot, good crosser, lots of key passes and a decent defender.

15 minutes ago, DownUnderToff said:

Don't really know chilwell, but like all the others on the list.  Reckon Sessegnon ends up a left winger, still love to get him.

I'd add Philipp Max (Augsburg) to the top of that list.  10 assists in 17 Bundesliga games, a wand of a left foot, good crosser, lots of key passes and a decent defender.

Can’t believe I forgot max, great player and possibly best footballing name too 🙂

14 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

First things first activate garbutt and add to the roster in January.  Second go get one of sessegnen (Fulham), chilwell (Leicester), Gaya (Valencia), Thierney (Celtic), etc.

we are ok with kenny for the future at RB and holgate at CB and possibly keane if he can be rehabilitated.  

Mark you do make me chuckle the way you make it sound so simple and easy- bit like going to buy the daily mirror in the corner shop 😂

Can we rule out Tierney from Celtic please? He's just signed a 6 year deal literally weeks ago. I know never say never with football but come on...

Chilwell would be a decent signing, would cost a fair bit though, the shite was in for him before he played a first team game for Leicester wasn't they? Got their bids rejected, obviously.

Sessengon is a good shout, would again, cost a fair bit! Rumours are Madrid are sniffing about.

Luke Shaw (if he is available) has been playing recently to its unclear if he would become available, I'd take him but would likely cost around £20m? ish.

A full back who can use their left foot will be a start,  while we have had to resort to Martina ( who frightens me every time he is near the ball he's so unpredictable) anyone who plays in front of him has had to spend more time covering him rather than playing their own game ( Siggy springs to mind) and it unbalances the team. Koemans failure to register Garbutt was a major error IMO, he would surely have provided a better balance to the side.