IGNORED

A societal shift

24 minutes ago, dunlopp9987 said:

I've worn my BLM stuff more times than I can count, and I've only had two or three people comment on it, all white.

I live in South Minneapolis, about 10 minutes from George Floyd Square, and have never had a black or brown community member comment on anything I was wearing. Maybe it's because we have a certain kind of passivity here in Minnesota, or maybe it's because black people, especially in this city, (rightfully) don't feel like they need to be patting white people on the backs.

Certainly not trying to diminish your experience, Steve, as I think it's important for more white community members to be vocal in whatever way we can

The number of anti-Semitic attacks has been going through the roof, too, so I'm seriously thinking of demonstrating my support of the Jewish community by wearing a kippah.

18 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

The number of anti-Semitic attacks has been going through the roof, too, so I'm seriously thinking of demonstrating my support of the Jewish community by wearing a kippah.

Nice idea but is that not offensive to them if you're not Jewish yourself? 

24 minutes ago, Matt said:

Nice idea but is that not offensive to them if you're not Jewish yourself? 

Not at all. I have many Jewish friends from when I worked for an Israeli company. On one Passover, I happened to be on a business trip to Moscow, and several of these friends invited me to the main synagogue there - a guest to their Passover celebration, where I wore a kippah.

2 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

Not at all. I have many Jewish friends from when I worked for an Israeli company. On one Passover, I happened to be on a business trip to Moscow, and several of these friends invited me to the main synagogue there - a guest to their Passover celebration, where I wore a kippah.

Yes, but that was for a religious occasion. If I had been invited to Passover or Yom Kippur, and someone had offered me one to wear, I would wear it. But wearing one as a non-Jew, to make a statement, seems a little problematic. 

I completely understand the sentiment, and the desire to stand by your Jewish friends and community in support, but as a friend I would advise maybe finding another way to offer said support.

7 hours ago, dunlopp9987 said:

Yes, but that was for a religious occasion. If I had been invited to Passover or Yom Kippur, and someone had offered me one to wear, I would wear it. But wearing one as a non-Jew, to make a statement, seems a little problematic. 

I completely understand the sentiment, and the desire to stand by your Jewish friends and community in support, but as a friend I would advise maybe finding another way to offer said support.

This is more what I was getting at.