IGNORED

Carling Cup Or Fa Cup?

How about, both ;)

F.A. Cup might have a higer value and a higher 'priority' if the managers given an option, but in reality he isnt. So, he's gotta give his best in both the comptetitions and hope for the best and a decent cup run in any one of them if not both.

51182[/snapback]

spot on there xav, the f.a. cup is of more importance but any cup will do tbh

I'll take anything thats going

Having seen Everton lift the FA cup at Wembley in 95 and seeing livershite loose to manure the next year to cantonas goal, i wouldnt mind visiting the new one this year for any final

But seeing as we are one of the most succcessful FA cup teams around id like us to build on that.

But weve never won the league cup so that would be good also

You can tell I havent really thought this post through cant you :(

The downside to the league cup is after calling it "micky mouse" for years we would be a tad hypocritical jumping around like it was christmas if we won it!

I'd prefere the FA cup but I'd take anything I will be holding strong when we win the league cup tho' and telling all the reds its just micky mouse and I'm not fussed :P

Was reading the EFC site article where Alan Irvine has stressed that the Carling Cup is a competition that Everton will take seriously.  But what would you prefer to concentrate on... Carling Cup, or FA Cup (when it comes around)?

51177[/snapback]

The F A Cup for me it's traditional. However the carling cup would make a change seeing we've never won it. But overall the Premiership would'nt go amiss. :rolleyes:

As much as I love a cup run I'd prefer we finish top 6 and get into Europe that way if it was either or. Our squad is on a knife edge in several positions and the extra games will put us under strain.

I remember Boro getting to both the Coca Cola and FA Cup final in 97 then getting relegated. The monetary rewards are only there for the winner whereas each league place is worth over 250k.

Strange reading this and seeing the "doesn't either one lead to Europe" viewpoint. Aren't you confident you can land a spot there "on your own", through league placement this year? ;)

As an American, I'll have to say this: before we received Fox Soccer Channel a few years ago, I'd never heard of the Carling/Worthington/Coca-Cola/etc. Cup. But I had heard of the F.A. Cup. To suggest prestige exists in a competition that few Prem league teams put out a "full first-team squad" until the round of 16 is sheer folly.

The F.A. Cup would bring a much brighter sheen to your trophy room. Of course, that's why it will be enjoyable when we take it home for the 8th time. :D

Edited by SteeleRED

Strange reading this and seeing the "doesn't either one lead to Europe" viewpoint. Aren't you confident you can land a spot there "on your own", through league placement this year?  ;)

As an American, I'll have to say this: before we received Fox Soccer Channel a few years ago, I'd never heard of the Carling/Worthington/Coca-Cola/etc. Cup. But I had heard of the F.A. Cup. To suggest prestige exists in a competition that few Prem league teams put out a "full first-team squad" until the round of 16 is sheer folly.

The F.A. Cup would bring a much brighter sheen to your trophy room. Of course, that's why it will be enjoyable when we take it home for the 8th time.  :D

51852[/snapback]

The money rewards in the Champions League obviosly far outweighes anything possible from the FA/ Worthingtop Cup. The big teams run as businesses dont take the domestic cups seriously so yes it has devalued any prestige. Add to that most teams run at a loss in the UEFA cup untill the last 16. In this day and age with clubs run as a business it makes fiscal sense to concentrate on the bread and butter of our Premier league with 250k per place. I'd prefer to finish even 7th in the PL than runners up in the Worthington Cup.

Edited by Bluetrip

Any would do I would take a cup over 6th place, given we had a top 10 finish that is!, players want to come to a club winning trophies

52038[/snapback]

I would say the league cup has very little value in terms of attracting players especially outside of the UK. Europe is the factor but a 6 and under Premiership placing holds more weight. Any cup run is going to jeopardise our chances of keeping our small squad fit.

We have to be realistic enough to accept that we will not win the Premier league.

Now we have to ask ourselves do we want to win anything at all, this year, or any other year.

If the answer is NO then we dont enter, simple as that.

If the answer is YES we enter and having done so, we do all in our power to win.

It does'nt matter if it gets you an entry into Euro or not, the sole purpose in entering any competition is to do your utmost to win it, or dont bother entering.

Although the FA CUP has a bit more Glamour and razz-ma-tazz about it, I would look on winning any of those Cups as equal honours, and when you weigh up the amount of money available to those top four clubs, any position in the top six of the Prem League, is another achievement to be proud of.

We havent got the financial clout, or the massively talented squad, to be able to pick and choose what we want to win, so we have to go hell bent on trying to win them all, but if it turns out that we are not successfull, we can at least say we give it our best shot.

Edited by Licker

We have to be realistic enough to accept that we will not win the Premier league.

Now  we have to ask ourselves do we want to win anything at all, this year, or any other year.

If the answer is NO then we dont enter, simple as that. 

If the answer is YES we enter and having done so, we do all in our power to win.

It does'nt matter if it gets you an entry into Euro or not, the sole purpose in entering any competition is to do your utmost to win it, or dont bother entering.

Although the FA CUP has a bit more Glamour and razz-ma-tazz about it, I would look on winning any of those Cups as equal honours, and when you weigh up the amount of money available to those top four clubs, any position in the top six of the Prem League, is another achievement to be proud of.

We havent got the financial clout, or the massively talented squad, to be able to pick and choose what we want to win, so we have to go hell bent on trying to win them all, but if it turns out that we are not successfull, we can at least say we give it our best shot.

52089[/snapback]

I agree in the main but not entering is not an option without special permission from the FA or many teams I'm sure would give the league cup a miss.

If you were told Everton could win the Carling Cup and finish 4th from bottom or finish 6th and get knocked out in the first round which would you take?

Bluetrip says..............I agree in the main but not entering is not an option without special permission from the FA or many teams I'm sure would give the league cup a miss.

If you were told Everton could win the Carling Cup and finish 4th from bottom or finish 6th and get knocked out in the first round which would you take?

Thats a hypothetical question, and i agree we cant duck out of them, but what i'm saying is..... if we or anybody enters a Comp, we have to do all we can to win it, anything less would be cheating the supporters, and thats not right.

And i dont think any manager sets out to deliberately lose a cup game by playing a weakened side, they honestly believe that whatever side they send out, should be good enough to win that game.

Edited by Licker

Bluetrip says..............I agree in the main but not entering is not an option without special permission from the FA or many teams I'm sure would give the league cup a miss.

Thats a hypothetical question, and i agree we cant duck out of them, but what i'm saying is..... if we or anybody enters a Comp,  we have to do all we can to win it, anything less would be cheating the supporters, and thats not right.

And i dont think any manager sets out to deliberately lose a cup game by playing a weakened side, they honestly believe that whatever side they send out,  should be good enough to win that game.

52169[/snapback]

A lot of Premiership teams field their squad players and youth starlets with the hope of winning but without taking any risk on the performance of their European or league games. This in my opinion is not doing all they can to win it's prioritising with the view firmly on maximising revenue. But you didnt answer the question Licker ;)

""you didnt answer the question Licker ""

Who is in a position to tell us we are going to win the cup and finish 4th from bottom, or get knocked out and finish 6th from top. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Hypothetical questions can't be answered, cos the situations will never arise.

I would expect my team to put equal effort into winning both competitions, and not take it easy in one, because we dont think its glamourous enough. Thats cheating me, and 1.000s of other supporters, and i would be very Disappointed.

""you didnt answer the question Licker ""

Who is in a position to tell us we are going to win the cup and finish 4th from bottom, or get knocked out and finish 6th from top.  :rolleyes:   :rolleyes:

Hypothetical questions can't be answered, cos the situations will never arise.

I would expect my team to put equal effort into winning both competitions,  and not take it easy in one, because we dont think its glamourous enough.  Thats cheating me, and 1.000s of other supporters, and i would be very Disappointed.

52175[/snapback]

Surely when Moyes rests several of the first team in the first round of the League cup that is taking it easy. It happens like it or not from each end of the Premiership top to bottom.

If you look back at my first post, i said i did'nt think any manager sends out a team to lose, whatever team went out against the Posh, the manager believed the team he was sending out was good enough to win. They are all Squad players, and as such should be able to come into a team and do a job.

Moysey played without 7 regulars, and only had to call on Cahill and Arteta for the last twenty mins. That showed a lot of confidence in the fringe players, and they never let him down.

As well as resting and protecting several players, he has to gauge the strength of his squad players, and thats the reason he plays them in games like that, but that does'nt mean that he is taking it easy and does'nt want to win. :blink: I cant believe anybody would think that.

Edited by Licker

the carling cup is our easiest option and we should go for it ....lets play our first team against luton town and progress to the next round....i want my grandson to see us win a trophy...heres hoping :lol:

52199[/snapback]

Course they want to win but not at the expense of doing ANY worse in the premiership hence blooding the 2nd string. Premiership managers put the league before the cup untill they get past the first 2-3 rounds or later if its Arsenal, Chelsea etc.