IGNORED

Ive Lit A Candle.....

OWENS.........I thought that you would have taken notice when a post of yours, earlier on the thread was deleted, but obviously not.

You have been informed about the options to open another thread, so if you want to voice your true feelings about George Best, please do so, But not on this one.

This thread was opened for those who wanted to show respect for for the man in his final hours, If you persist in this abusive manner towards him, and to other forum members and their families, you will soon lose any friends you think you might have.

As a newly elected member of the MOD team, who doesnt like to see sensible, or emotional threads degenerate into arguments and slanging matches, i will ask you not to post any more foul and abusive feelings towards G. Best, or any other forum members. ............Not on this thread. Thank you.

lads let's be unanimous in agreement that we should show more class than was displayed at the City of manchester stadium and by the Leeds/Millwall fans.

We are better than all of them added together, and no matter what your opinions are on liver donations etc - it's all politics - the NHS made that decision not us or George Best. To tell and alcoholic not to drink for moral reasons is contrictory in itself - they are ill and morals come second place to alcohol. A new liver is not going to stop the fact that they are alcoholics.

If anyone wants to join the band of do gooders I urge you to read one of the two George Best books I have read and you will understand that he was a simple quiet lad thrust into the spot light where no one else had been before, a true pioneer who had no one to look after him and guide him, and yes he had his faults like all of us all of which were under the microscope. It may enable you make a more fair and informed opinion.

The man was a legend...thrust into the spotlight. The first ever sporting hero to be given such media attention and celebrity. No one knew how to handle such a phenomenon in the game, and as a result George turned to the bottle to help him cope. It wasn't his fault he had an addictive personality, alcoholism is more like a disease and should be treated as such. Lessons were learnt and this has undoubtedly helped other young men, coming into the game, to deal with the huge pressure that comes from being under the media spotlight.

But why focus on the negatives of the man? He was a footballing genius, carried Man Ure for years. The best these isles have ever produced. A footballer with class, skill and grace, who flourished at a time when players of this nature were not protected from the hardmen of Ron 'Chopper' Harris et al. Imagine him playing in his prime now, on a carpet like pitch with no robust tackling?

From speaking to those who have met him, he was a shy humble person, with a great wit and personality. He had time for everyone, and treated all comers as equals.

I for one will remember the positives that he gave all football fans, and will be there at Stormont to shed a tear for Ulsters Finest.

RIP to a legend.

BULL SHIT !

whos fucking fault was it.

you and people like you have this idea that he was a victim in his alcoholism, no one put a gun to his head and forced him to drink. you and your ilk's attitudes are utterly offensive and myopic. get real.

You really don't know what you're talking about I'm afraid. Alcoholism is pretty universally accepted as an illness now. Try this slight alteration to your post and see how it sounds.

"whos fucking fault was it.

you and people like you have this idea that he was a victim in his cancer, no one put a gun to his head and forced him to get it. you and your ilk's attitudes are utterly offensive and myopic. get real."

No one starts drinking and thinks "I know, wouldn't it be fun to become an alcoholic." It's a completely fucking miserable existence I assure you, not a life, and no matter how much bravado he came out with about shagging Miss Worlds and "..where did it all go wrong..haha.." he was a sad, terrified, lonely little man in the end.

i take exception at the 'rose tinted view' and the excuses trotted out for saint george.

yes, great footballer, yes untimely death, yes sad for the family, yes respect his playing legacy.

but come on, "not his fault"

thats a real sickener.

i tell u whats sick owen and thats u u have been told several times this thread is for people to show there respect to the late george best if want to slag him off start another thread ok

owens, can u please not post anymore disrespectful comments about george best om this thread. i can see your points to a certain extent but this thread is not for this. if u wont to voice ur anger, concerns etc. about best's drinkin or other views on alcholics then make a thread, dont put them in this thread. anymore posts in this thread that are wrote concerning how best drank etc. then they will be deleted for no other reason then it does not belong in this thread, this is to respect best not bad mouth him.

thanks

Edited by ianthetoffee