IGNORED

Gun Clubs

donkey1

I went to my local golf club last night and found they have built a shooting range, you can go in and shoot anything from a 9mm to a magnum costing roughly 10 pounds for 25 rounds. I find it ridiculous that anybody can walk in and shoot these kind of weapons, no wonder the world is going crazy.

My friend raised this topic on another forum and this was one of the responses that he got:

“An old mate of mine, Gordon, is an ex-mercenary. He fought in Congo, Mozambique, Sudan, Colombia etc. He's killed numerous people in his time. He's also violently anti-hunting, and I mean literally violently. Once in a bar, some bloke was spouting on in support of 'the sport' of hunting. Gordon offered to take him hunting. He said "I'll get you a rifle and I'll have one as well. We enter some woods from either end. You can hunt me and I can hunt you. One of us comes out of the wood at the end, the agreement is that he has to bury the other bloke properly before he leaves. That's hunting as a sport, in it's truest sense". He was absolutely serious about the offer, but the bloke declined. Eventually things got a little out of hand and Gordon threw the bloke down a flight of stairs, and we both got chucked out of the bar, but that's another story.”

Don't really have a problem with people shooting on a range for sport. Did a bit myself at Bisley in my teens and quite enjoyed...didn't give me the urge to kill anyone. You could argue for banning Archery if you take it a stage further, which Josh wants to have a go at (LOTR obsession influenced), then darts maybe.

Hunting's another issue...though DB wasn't talking about the English version of the "sport." Very strong views here, but I'll resist a rant :lol: .

When I was younger my dad had this pellet rifle (a big thing that was pretty useless as it fired one little pellet but I thought it was great had a scope on it too lol). I loved it, sometimes my dad would put up some old foam cans we'd shoot at in the back garden but it was in front of his shed. Also I'd fire bits of paper through it at my mates and sisters :) (before anyone says that was dangerous, firing paper with a elasticband hurt more, or those dolly sweets on that elastic string)

I'd love to go to a shooting range and fire a proper gun though, a tenner I'd defo do it.

Mike, I remember when I was on a school trip at a PGL Camp, and one of the activities was archery. I loved it as much as firing that crappy rifle and I had a talent for it (was best in my group but nothing special I suppose). Bags of fun and I'm sure you'd enjoy it too ;)

I don't think there is any difference in firing an arrow or a gun and I don't have a problem with it as long as its done in a safe environment like a range would be.

Done the usual Army stuff, stripping, cleaning and putting back together SLR 303, then firing 50, 200 and 500 yds in crounching, kneeling and lying positions. Enjoyed it as such and was pretty good at it, but it never gave me the inclination to fire at a real person.

Thats a whole different ball game and would need some serious consideration, Probs would do it if it was a case of me or him, but to shoot a defenceless person would not enter my head. I dont see any harm in a properly controlled Shooting Range.

PS........maybe VDM. :lol: (joking)

Edited by Licker

Im not a massive fan of guns & in Fine McGrath family tradition I shot my brother when we was younger ( arl fella shot his bro) in the top of the upper thigh with a .22 basically skylarking that went wrong. ( The thrashing Dad gave me far outweighed the Bro's wound)

Being in a country where Guns are only Pseudo restricted I still feel comfortable.

I Feel no less or the same threat than when was residing in UK. 2 be honest, not something that phases or has me looking over my shoulder.

Though seeing a shotgun strapped to the dash board a 1st time is an eye opener.

Once had a go @ Clay pidgeon shooting..>What a waste of Clay. Didnt hit fuk all.

Thanks Mac. I never imagined it would burn, kinda thought it would be, well i duno to tell you the truth!! Still if i suddenly get a seriouse burning feeling then some bugger may have shot me, or ive lent on the bloody Hob again!! I bet uve got a SHED load of old army tales?

I saw what you did there . Any time you want some war stories give me a shout and I'll turn your hair grey. Even your pubes. lol

ATB

Mac

Be interesting to here some American point of views, i.e general citizens.

As it's a constituional right etc to bare arms (looney doctorate) .

As in our everyday live's to get shot is damned unlucky or perhaps youve been fuking with shit you shouldnt have, nudge nudge , wink wink.

However, I do wonder if my personal view would change living some where peeps are gunned down in civilian street's , shopping malls & private homes everyday.

That would deffo phase me.

my mates bro had to shoot a 14 year old kid in sierre leone whilst on night watch, the kid had pulled a gun on him so he had no choice but to fire back.i've also seen someone get shot before in the street, and i know someone who carries a gun on them all the time because of the nature of his "business" scary world we live in boys and girls isn't it.

I've got the sandbags sorted, I have a lamp to swing, and a wealth of stories which plumbs the depths of Military stupidity with reckless abandon.

You would all be shocked at the waste of your tax £'s that happens in the Forces.

Will try and come up with some of the more digestable stuff, just need to write them down first.

ATB

Mac