IGNORED

Newcastle

carlmc25

Anichebe should have won us the match but control let him down, he's been pretty poor today again. Moyes should have brought Yak on once Anichebe missed but now it's too late. 3-1 Owen, once again our defence let in 3 goals. We should have played 5 in midfield, I said it all along and I've been proved right, we aren't good enough with a 4 in midfield unless Gravesen plays. Certainly against anyone half decent away from hom. Fact. If all the Everton fans stopped getting on Moyes back about 451 and how 'negative' it is then we may actually play it again and start to play well and keep clean sheets.

Quick to jump up on your soapbox Carl. :mellow:

We where 3 minutes away from a good result, it had nothing to do with Annichebe missing a chance, strikers miss chances every week. Newcs are unbeaten at home and had only one goal against them before today.

Neville and carsley wont give you defence splitting balls but they are the best tacklers of the midfielders we have. Arteta did nothing he, should have gone off rather than Pienaar. IMO.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anichebe should have won us the match but control let him down, he's been pretty poor today again. Moyes should have brought Yak on once Anichebe missed but now it's too late. 3-1 Owen, once again our defence let in 3 goals. We should have played 5 in midfield, I said it all along and I've been proved right, we aren't good enough with a 4 in midfield unless Gravesen plays. Certainly against anyone half decent away from hom. Fact. If all the Everton fans stopped getting on Moyes back about 451 and how 'negative' it is then we may actually play it again and start to play well and keep clean sheets.

Quick to jump up on your soapbox Carl. :mellow:

We where 3 minutes away from a good result, it had nothing to do with Annichebe missing a chance, strikers miss chances every week. Newcs are unbeaten at home and we scored only the 2nd goal against them.

Neville and carsley wont give you defence splitting balls but they are the best tacklers of the midfielders we have. Arteta did nothing he, should have gone off rather than Pienaar. IMO.

I didn't mean to gloat, just ram it down some fans throats who just don't see how much better we were in a 451. They have this mentality were a 5 in midfield must mean negative performances, yet I didn't see anything negative about controlling matches and possesion, keeping clean sheets and winning matches. I didn't mean to be all high and mighty, but it's so frustrating seeing people put a 442 formation down with the likes of Osman or Pienaar in CM, I mean they couldn't tackle if you paid them and they are about 4 ft tall.

we started off the season 7 games unbeaten playing 451 with Cahill behind AJ and both scored about 6 goals in the first 9 matches. After we switched to 442 (when Cahill got injured) we played pretty average for the rest of the season (ie only recorded back to wins about once). We only struggled in 451 when Beattie was up front on his own as he was a lazy slow donkey. We didn't play particularly well for half of last season but the rest of the team (outside the top 4) were so poor we hung in the top 6. Also, our results and form picked up noticeably when Fernandes came in as he was good enough and enough of an all round player to help us play in a 4. We will still get results in a 4 this season (at home mainly) but the fact is our players suit a 5. We finished 6th last year and got knocked out the cups pretty much first round, I wouldn't exactly say it was the greatest season in living memory, we finished 4th with 5 in midfield, ok we may not do that again but it would help us a lot more with the current players as we don't have Fernandes anymore. Away from home against good teams we should have plaed with a 5, as it happens Vaughan, Gravesen and Cahill will hopefully be back now so a 442 may just work, but so far this season we've played well precisely once.

and for the record, I think Moyes put out the best 442 team he could have today (except maybe AJ instead of Anichebe) and at least we stayed competitive throughout and were a touch unlucky to lose, but the simple fact is - I expected us to lose with a 442, certainly after our midweek exertions. Newcastle were missing a few players and are no great shakes imo, we didn't play that badly but the way our defence is currently playing I think keeping clean sheets (ie 451) has to be a priority otherwise good teams will rip us apart. It's all academic now as we'll have players back for the derby hopefully.

Cant really c us finishing top 6 this year we need a new central and right defender and centre mid(creative)Yobo has been terrible

yeah we are looking way too primitive this year, arent creating enough and our defence is looking so week, i thought it was gonna be better this year but its got way worse somehow. and moyes will probably buy another defensive midfielder as cover for neville or some shit like that. tbh theres only a couple of players at the moment who i wouldnt want replacing.

I didn't mean to gloat, just ram it down some fans throats who just don't see how much better we were in a 451. They have this mentality were a 5 in midfield must mean negative performances, yet I didn't see anything negative about controlling matches and possesion, keeping clean sheets and winning matches. I didn't mean to be all high and mighty, but it's so frustrating seeing people put a 442 formation down with the likes of Osman or Pienaar in CM, I mean they couldn't tackle if you paid them and they are about 4 ft tall.

Point made. Unfortunately, unless I'm forgetting someone, we only have six serviceable midfielders atm (though some might debate whether Jags counts as "serviceable"), and four strikers, so while it may play to our strength, it doesn't play to where our depth is right now, and it won't until Grav and Cahill are ready to come back. Now if we could get some early leads going 4-4-2 we could then sub into a 4-5-1 (criticism about 'negativity' be damned), but we haven't had many early leads this year either.

451 would have been the right thing for today but FFS if we did play 4 5 1 imagine how shit we would be with Neville Carsley Jagielka.

Pienaar was one of our best players

Lescott played well

A.J came on and played good aswell

Moyes lost us the game today with bringing Osman and playing him left wing where he cuts inside and leaves the wing to baines and 2 of there players.

I realised today Victor is no way good enough to be starting games up front same with mcfadden, A.J + Yak should have started.

451 would have been the right thing for today but FFS if we did play 4 5 1 imagine how shit we would be with Neville Carsley Jagielka.

Pienaar was one of our best players

Lescott played well

A.J came on and played good aswell

Moyes lost us the game today with bringing Osman and playing him left wing where he cuts inside and leaves the wing to baines and 2 of there players.

I realised today Victor is no way good enough to be starting games up front same with mcfadden, A.J + Yak should have started.

but you don't have to play Jags in the 5, Carsley, Neville and either Osman, Arteta, Pienaar or McFadden could all potentially play the Cahill role. Cahill worked hard but wasn't the greatest tackler/passer in the world, I think McFadden or someone like Pienaar could be the missing link between midfield and attack. Carsley can sweep up just in front of the back 4, Neville can also tackle so the other man in the CM doesn't have to be the greatest tackler, we just need his presence, the extra body to tackle and the extra man to pass to when attacking.

even though 4 5 1 did get us in the CL theres no point at all in playing it when we have bought a 11 million pound striker to go up front with A.J. Is everyone just gunna be depressed and think we have wasted our money I dont, as soon as our team get a good center midfielder Yak will shine.

even though 4 5 1 did get us in the CL theres no point at all in playing it when we have bought a 11 million pound striker to go up front with A.J. Is everyone just gunna be depressed and think we have wasted our money I dont, as soon as our team get a good center midfielder Yak will shine.

I agree, as soon as we get a good central midfielder, but with Gravesen injured we don't have one. Vaughan will also make a difference (and Cahill) as he can win the ball in the air and his speed and energy creates problems. Now everyone should be fit for the derby hopefully we can start to play some decent football and play like we should.

lol that'd be a good. At the beginning of last season Cahill and AJ were on fire before Tim got injured.

Edit: Also, looks like Victor got his chance and didn't score. Even though he looked good for twenty minutes against Metalist, he is still very young and shouldn't have that pressure on him.

Edited by Calico

Lets be a little realistic - I though we gave Newcastle a bloody good game in their own backyard, less than two and a half days after landing after playing a must win match on the otherside of europe. This game was always going to be a very tough ask to get anything.

From what i have seen, heard and read, we where no means second best and Newcastle were very fortunate to get a home win - and at 1-1 Everton where the team looking like nicking the win.

A defensive error or two has cost us again, but as I have mentioned elsewhere I think this is a temporay situation and once the new look defence line up gel we will be as mean as ever at the back. Frustrating, but the players at the back do have the quality to become a very good defensive UNIT in the not so distant future.

Yesterdays performance was decent enough especially given the travelling circumtances.

Listened to the commentary yesterday but it sometimes gives you the wrong impression, so i got up early and watched the game on Everton TV this morning. My unbiased thoughts on the game actually did'nt vary that much from the commentary, Everton more than held their own against a team who are very good on their own ground, and it was always going to be a tough one. This could have gone either way but i am going to lay the blame on the substitution of Osman for Pienaar.

After the equaliser from Johnson ( a good sub because Mcfad had done nothing but lose the ball ) Everton had the Newcs on the rack and it seemed like it was only a matter of time before we scored again, we only had to be patient and carry on as we were, Baines was getting down the left wing and Pienaar was passing and moving, Johnson making the darting runs, and Victor giving the defence a lot of problems, but then Moyes steps in and fookin spoils it all with Osman for Pienaar What a disaster, Piennar was more influential than Arteta who had another Quiet day to say the least, Osman was there just to shore up the midfield and play for the draw, so they just started defending deeper and deeper handing the Newcs the freedom of the pitch the winner was inevitable once that happened. I do wish Moyes would get that "dont lose this" attitude out of his head, and replace it with "Lets go for the win" attitude.

If you have a look back at Owens headed goal, There are 3 defenders all in a line in front of him marking nobody, why ???

That is schoolboy defending, dont know who should have been picking him up, but that is really amateurish.

Just to summarise.... From what i've seen in the game, Piennar, Annichebe, Hibbert, Lescott, and Johnson for his 2nd half are the only Plusses, the rest where well below normal form including the Manager who in my opinion made another wrong substitution, and decided too early to hang on to what you've got.

Of course if anybody actually went to the game i would be interested in your account of it.

osman is just dire, i cant believe moyes even brings him on unless its an emergency. i only listened to the commentry too but it did sound like pienaar was lively and creative, and osman is neither, he doesnt even have any pace to speak of. and it was his poor header that emre scored off (good finish ino but got to blame someone).

btw what was moyes on about when he said that we deserved more? no, we didnt. we didnt play that bad but they were by far the better team, he always makes these pointless and untrue comments after the game, it is so annoying, if it wasnt for his poor substitutions then we may have got something from it. what is the point in bringing yakubu on with 91 mins played?

I think Piennar is starting to look a decent player - some players faid in to obscurity and other shine with the cut and thrust of the Prem, I look like Piennar could shine, is really stating to get to grips with the pace. I looks to me that being able to pick him up for £2M next summer is starting to look a good deal.

I don't agree with you Sandman - I though we were worthy of a point at least, especially as the away team. It wasn't to bad a performance after a gruelling trip to Russia, then followed by a the trip up to Newcastle. I was expecting a Everton performance below what was given on Sunday, so I am not going to winge much although felt like kicking the dog when Newcastle went 2:1 up after 86mins.

I think Piennar is starting to look a decent player - some players faid in to obscurity and other shine with the cut and thrust of the Prem, I look like Piennar could shine, is really stating to get to grips with the pace. I looks to me that being able to pick him up for £2M next summer is starting to look a good deal.

I don't agree with you Sandman - I though we were worthy of a point at least, especially as the away team. It wasn't to bad a performance after a gruelling trip to Russia, then followed by a the trip up to Newcastle. I was expecting a Everton performance below what was given on Sunday, so I am not going to winge much although felt like kicking the dog when Newcastle went 2:1 up after 86mins.

we played better than in recent matches but it was still no great shakes against an understrength Newcastle team. I wasn't THAT disappointed with the performance, with the team and formation we had out we acquitted ourselves as well as possible - it was just the wrong formation - apart from some more defensive lapses. I just can't understand why the defence has become an absolute joke overnight, as soon as Moyes was saying how superbly Yobo had been playing for 12 months + he suddenly goes on a run of the worst performances he's ever produced. The international break has come at the best possible time, a time for our defence to regroup. We've had some of our best players missing, certainly offensively, all season and hopefully they will return next match. We are still in contention for the top 6 so now it's time to push on and let's get past Blackburn, Newcastle etc and try and overtake City. In January we DEFINITELY need a class powerhouse CM, let's just hope Gravesen and Cahill can get us some results until then. But it's the defence that is the most alarming aspect at the moment, you can't trust them to keep a clean sheet at all.

Again I was impressed with Pienaar. Good little player we've got there. We were dyer to watch in the first half but I mean in all fairness their a hard team to beat at home?! We were a lot better second half and i hope I'm not on my own in saying that I enjoyed Neville's game, he put himself about a lot and he actually showed some attack!! I was disappointed in Anachebe and like someone else has pointed out, he is not ready to start yet. Brought Yakubu on waaaay to late for my liking, should have been brought on to make a difference. Pineaar, Arteta and Yakubu I just think gel well, If they can start forming a good little triangle I think we'll tear defenses apart! Not our day yesterday, poor defending let us down but it's over now so lets look onwards an upwards??

All in all, I think Moyes summed it up very honestly in the post match commentary. The defending was rubbish. Isn't it amazing what the summer brak can do. We were one of the most formidable defenses in the Premiership last year and hotly tipped to continue improving. Maybe the pundits have given us th ekiss of death by suggesting this and it went to the players heads. However it has been caused, Moyes needs to get a grip of the back line and shore up what is at the moment one of the leakiest defenses on the planet. It all looks so ragged at the back. As much as the forward line is frustrating us at the mometn, even if they buck up, it will be foor nothing if the back line don't get a grip and start showing that last season was no fluke. with the players we have, there is no reason for the sudden loss of concentration for long periods, and schoolboy ball watching.