IGNORED

England To Qualify?

The lowdown:

England's qualification is out of their hands. Their best hope of qualification is to finish ahead of Russia. But if the Russians win in Israel on Saturday, they will be one point ahead of England with one match to play - and that match is away to rock-bottom Andorra. England will not expect any favours from Andorra, who are on a run of 28 consecutive Euro qualifying defeats.

If Russia lose in Israel, then England need only to draw (or win) against Croatia in their final match at Wembley to guarantee qualification. If Russia draw in Israel, then England will need to beat Croatia in their final match to go through, given that a Russia win against Andorra is all but certain.

There is one other glimmer of hope for England. If Croatia lose in Macedonia, then an England win over the Croats by a three-goal margin will put them above their rivals. A 2-0 win would also be enough, but a two-goal margin in which England have conceded a goal (eg 3-1) will not be enough - as Croatia's away goal will mean they lead the head-to-head standings between the teams. Of course, should Russia have dropped points against Israel then any win over Croatia will suffice.

The odds to qualify:

Croatia 1/100 Russia 4/9 England 13/8

Think we have very little chance personally, and (shame though it'd be) part of me hopes we fail if it's the price of getting shot of the fucking idiot in charge.

"i dont understand why people are writing us off as having very little chance. israel are a good side, and i don't expect russia to beat them"

But at the same time i dont expect England to beat Croatia, so it would still point to Russia getting the necessary points against "Rock bottom Andorra", Its not impossible Mike G, but its highly improbable.

Russia will beat Andorra

We SHOULD beat Croatia at Wembley...if we don't it's a poor poor show, whether they're doing well or not, I'd be disgusted if we didn't beat them

and Israel have only lost once in like 18 or 19 games in Israel, so if Russia go there and win, no only will I be surprised, but also impressed.

I still think we should go through.

Edited by CraccerC

Mon the Russia! :) Do England fans not actually care much that the English media is what makes other people love to see England lose?

Why are you playing in Austria (the venue of the Euro final to be precise) tonight by the way? Seems pretty pointless.

Another point, I cannot believe McClaren has said in an interview that "All eyes in Europe will be on one match - Russia v Israel". Not being biased, but I think the big game across Europe WILL be Scotland v Italy.

Yeah, your lot will have to qualify for a competition at some time in the modern age :P

As for the England media... do your lot not realise that many English people (fans or not) are sick of the media for reasons other than football, as well as football? I mean, football is obviously very important, but I'd prefer if one of the most popular newspapers was not fabricating stories about important people like the PM for example (i.e. Piers Morgan and the false story about Blair), rather than over-hyping the national football team.

they were a bitfortunate at the end but israel as they have done somany times fougt it out, theyre hard to beat in israel

all we have to do now is take our opportunity, i always t6hough it wud come down to this game, i was more confident over israel not losing though than us getting the win

Scotland have restored their pride more than anything. Going into the final game and still being in a position to qualify was far beyond expectations.

Think a draw would have been a fair result today in our game and God knows why Italy got that free kick (that lead to winning goal) in the first place.

It's onwards and upwards for us. :)

scotland can take a lot from their qualifying campaign tho

the took the world champions and runners up right down to the wire

and finished higher than ukraine, a country that were in the the quarter finals of the latest world cup (correct me if i'm wrong)

and they did all of this with a relatively young side, bar weir i think it is whos 37

all in all lookin good for scotland in the future

and their world cup qualifying draw will definately be helped by keeping pace with world champions italy and completing the double over france

i certainly hope that scotland are in the next world cup!

ohh and if scotland had switched groups with england and played the way they did then they would def be at EURO next summer

no offense to any england fans out there but i think scotland deserve to qualify much more than england

Edited by American Evertonian

meh they got a lucky win in france, whatever, they're still cocks, and they're still not good enough ;)

....and neither are we at the moment, 2-0 down.. :lol::lol::lol: or :crying_anim: :crying_anim: :crying_anim: . Not sure.

Talking to myself here, but wtf do we do at half time to get out of this?

Carson looks terrified every time the ball comes anywhere near him but he can't waste a sub on him surely. Needs someone else up front. We can't take a free kick to save our lives. Pathetic. Can only get better second half can't it?

Edit at 2-1....never a penalty, but I'll take it :) .

Edit at 2-2... :upsidedown: :arrowhead: :confused: ....and Carson's playing a blinder :sad01_anim: .

(still time to lose it though)

Edit at 3-2...told you.

Taxi for Mr McLaren!

...and good night.

PS Least we were put out by an Evertonian :) .

Final thought, stolen from the BBC site...

"Without doubt, the defining image of McClaren's short reign. With their backs against the wall, England need blood, sweat and tears, and yet McClaren stood there helpless, umbrella aloft, not even prepared to get his hair wet!"

Edited by MikeO