Jump to content
Ian

Longest Thread!

Recommended Posts

36 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

My mum tells me to just do the cheapest funeral I can find, she doesn't want me wasting money on a coffin that is going to burn. She said if she can be buried in a bin bag then to go for it :lol:

My dad used to say just leave him in a ditch at the side of the road (we didn't, honest):P.

Think I've mentioned it on here before but I'd just like to go on a funeral pyre myself, though sadly it's not legal in this country. Don't like the idea of being in a little box even if I'm brown bread.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 24/07/2018 at 10:37, MikeO said:

My dad used to say just leave him in a ditch at the side of the road (we didn't, honest):P.

Think I've mentioned it on here before but I'd just like to go on a funeral pyre myself, though sadly it's not legal in this country. Don't like the idea of being in a little box even if I'm brown bread.

Put some weight on then you can go in a bigger box 😝.

I don't care what happens to me when I've died they can do what ever they want, it's what will happen whilst I'm a live that I'm more concerned about.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Palfy said:

Put some weight on then you can go in a bigger box 😝.

I don't care what happens to me when I've died they can do what ever they want, it's what will happen whilst I'm a live that I'm more concerned about.

I don't even mind if someone says something nice about me, my ears will be burning anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Louis said:

I forbid it.

Well tough, had a great day 😛 

bbq at the park with some friends, nearly got caught in a storm that changed direction really quickly but that’s meant were no longer at 34c which is a relief 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Cornish Steve said:

And here's another one - that gets funnier as it goes on.

 

Christ almighty,  throw another chicken on the fire for fuck's sake :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got a letter from Sainsbury's Bank today telling me I owe them £3107.60 on a credit card. I'm a bit anal with my financial dealings (having got into a bit of bother many moons ago) so I can categorically prove that I cleared the debt and closed the card in July 2010; this is the first I've heard from them since. One phone call I'm going to enjoy making:),

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MikeO said:

Got a letter from Sainsbury's Bank today telling me I owe them £3107.60 on a credit card. I'm a bit anal with my financial dealings (having got into a bit of bother many moons ago) so I can categorically prove that I cleared the debt and closed the card in July 2010; this is the first I've heard from them since. One phone call I'm going to enjoy making:),

:lol: we got “served” today because of medical bill we hadn’t paid, except we have, so im looking forward to point that out and that the insurance owe us 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had a 'meet-up' today with a guy I did my National Service with - Singapore 1955-1957.  He lives in Shepperton so we meet at Old Windsor which is about the same distance for both of us. Had a nice meal in a Toby Carvery and good craic for a couple of hours.  Used to be five of us but, sadly, we are down to two now.  National Service did make some good friends and strong bonds, 'all in it together'.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, johnh said:

Had a 'meet-up' today with a guy I did my National Service with - Singapore 1955-1957.  He lives in Shepperton so we meet at Old Windsor which is about the same distance for both of us. Had a nice meal in a Toby Carvery and good craic for a couple of hours.  Used to be five of us but, sadly, we are down to two now.  National Service did make some good friends and strong bonds, 'all in it together'.

I quite like the idea of national service; even if I’m not in the slightest bit patriotic, the idea of people coming together for a common good has always been a drive. I’ll be too old to do it when we apply for the Swiss passport. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Matt said:

I quite like the idea of national service; even if I’m not in the slightest bit patriotic, the idea of people coming together for a common good has always been a drive. I’ll be too old to do it when we apply for the Swiss passport. 

France and Germany are reported to be looking at bringing it back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, johnh said:

France and Germany are reported to be looking at bringing it back.

EU getting themselves an army ready :P 

It really is a good idea though, teaches so many good things that would benefit society greatly if done right. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Matt said:

EU getting themselves an army ready :P 

It really is a good idea though, teaches so many good things that would benefit society greatly if done right. 

I agree and I'm a real live example.😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, johnh said:

I agree and I'm a real live example.😁

Of why it should never be brought back:lol:.

Actually I wouldn't be against it if it was done right but not compulsorily for everyone; eg those who go to University or do an apprenticeship or get into a job straight from school shouldn't be forced. For those who just sign on benefits it could be very helpful even though a lot of them wouldn't like it; and I think it would be better if it wasn't exclusively military based (though that could be part of it), public service in some other fields in the voluntary sector could be options. I did various voluntary jobs ranging from working in an old people's day centre to working with with drug addicts during an enforced hiatus in my "paid" life and gained a lot from it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Matt said:

EU getting themselves an army ready :P 

It really is a good idea though, teaches so many good things that would benefit society greatly if done right. 

mass brainwashing and indoctrination being good things?  no thanks from me, glad we don't have that in the US.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

mass brainwashing and indoctrination being good things?  no thanks from me, glad we don't have that in the US.  

I think you're overlooking the "if done right" in Matt's post; I agree that old fashioned purely military based compulsory NS has no place today but I still think some kind of national service (service meaning public service rather than military service) could be a positive thing for many. Kids/young adults living their lives on social media and getting no real life social skills is a big problem I think and as things stand it's just going to get worse.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MikeO said:

Of why it should never be brought back:lol:.

Actually I wouldn't be against it if it was done right but not compulsorily for everyone; eg those who go to University or do an apprenticeship or get into a job straight from school shouldn't be forced. For those who just sign on benefits it could be very helpful even though a lot of them wouldn't like it; and I think it would be better if it wasn't exclusively military based (though that could be part of it), public service in some other fields in the voluntary sector could be options. I did various voluntary jobs ranging from working in an old people's day centre to working with with drug addicts during an enforced hiatus in my "paid" life and gained a lot from it.

I'd add customer service, 2 years at the local asda or wherever. Teach people manners and learn a lot with dealing with shit managers and horrible corporations. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just seen an article in the local paper about a new service at the Hinds Head in Bray.   They are introducing 'afternoon tea'  with a selection of finger sandwiches,  cream scones, bakewell tart and chocolate cake.  If you decide to treat her indoors it will only set you back £78 (£39 per head). Of course, you could send her indoors in alone while you wait outside, it will only set you back £39 then.  I am going to settle for a cup of Yorkshire tea and a digestive at home.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, johnh said:

Just seen an article in the local paper about a new service at the Hinds Head in Bray.   They are introducing 'afternoon tea'  with a selection of finger sandwiches,  cream scones, bakewell tart and chocolate cake.  If you decide to treat her indoors it will only set you back £78 (£39 per head). Of course, you could send her indoors in alone while you wait outside, it will only set you back £39 then.  I am going to settle for a cup of Yorkshire tea and a digestive at home.

I'm guessing that as it's in Bray it's part of Heston Blumenpretentious-and-expensive's empire:rolleyes:.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, johnh said:

Yes,  spot on Mike.

Funny looking at their website under "job opportunities" they still pay their waiting/bar staff minimum wage but one of the "perks" is 50% discount in the group's restaurants; lots of people in that pay bracket could afford lunch at the Fat Duck, with the discount it's only £162.50 per person after all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Neville Southall's been getting stick on Twitter for letting someone who promotes the 'adult baby' fetish use his account. I didn't expect to be typing that.

He's previously let drug charities, mental health advocates and sex workers use his account.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Louis said:

Neville Southall's been getting stick on Twitter for letting someone who promotes the 'adult baby' fetish use his account. I didn't expect to be typing that.

He's previously let drug charities, mental health advocates and sex workers use his account.

Twit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 24/07/2018 at 04:55, Romey 1878 said:

My mum tells me to just do the cheapest funeral I can find, she doesn't want me wasting money on a coffin that is going to burn. She said if she can be buried in a bin bag then to go for it :lol:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Three times tonight my car alarm has gone off; few minutes ago it went off again so I got in and started it up to try and find the problem. Cause was a moth getting in somehow, swatted the blighter at the third attempt, car alarms are useless; nobody ever takes a blind bit of notice of them anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, MikeO said:

Three times tonight my car alarm has gone off; few minutes ago it went off again so I got in and started it up to try and find the problem. Cause was a moth getting in somehow, swatted the blighter at the third attempt, car alarms are useless; nobody ever takes a blind bit of notice of them anyway.

My alarm guy said the main purpose of an alarm is to scare away the thief rather than call attention from other people.  I asked him because the siren I have inside my house produces twice as many decibels as the one on the outside. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, holystove said:

My alarm guy said the main purpose of an alarm is to scare away the thief rather than call attention from other people.  I asked him because the siren I have inside my house produces twice as many decibels as the one on the outside. 

Why would the thief be scared if he knows everyone will ignore it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Matt said:

Why would the thief be scared if he knows everyone will ignore it?

He's already on edge because he's doing something illegal, adding 100+ decibels creates a sensory overload.  Same reason a lot of alarms trigger lights to flash on and off inside a house.

Thief gets confused and runs.

At least, that's the theory.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, markjazzbassist said:

It’s state dependent isn’t it? I know AZ doesn’t change theirs. 

About bloody time, it’s a pain in the arse this changing of the clocks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I walked past a child, maybe 3 or 4 years old and her mother yesterday.

Mother: Well, I don't know that toy, maybe it's an American toy you've seen on Youtube.
Child: No it's not, it's a toy I made up. I made it up, mum.

The fact that a kid so young was watching Youtube surprised me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Louis said:

I walked past a child, maybe 3 or 4 years old and her mother yesterday.

Mother: Well, I don't know that toy, maybe it's an American toy you've seen on Youtube.
Child: No it's not, it's a toy I made up. I made it up, mum.

The fact that a kid so young was watching Youtube surprised me. 

If you’re feeling like going down a somewhat disturbing rabbit hole: https://medium.com/@jamesbridle/something-is-wrong-on-the-internet-c39c471271d2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Louis take a deep breath and relax mate it seems to be aimed at Faceache mostly and anyone who runs forums on there..;).…  OH FUCK RIGHT OFF YOU NASTY BITCH……:shakingfist:   THAT IS MY LIFE YOU ARE MESSING UP

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Meant to say this yesterday but forgot. Airports (notably UK ones probably) must be the only places you can be at 4.00am and see loads of people eating a full English breakfast washed down with copious amounts of beer. Makes me laugh.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MikeO said:

Meant to say this yesterday but forgot. Airports (notably UK ones probably) must be the only places you can be at 4.00am and see loads of people eating a full English breakfast washed down with copious amounts of beer. Makes me laugh.

That's why, when I went to work, I always used to go via the Airport.😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Female logic: we're on holiday (I may have mentioned this) and when the cleaner came round a couple of days ago wife was feeling a bit icky and in bed so I told her not to bother, hence the bin in the kitchen got full. I emptied it and replaced the bin liner with a carrier bag which was, as far as I could see, our only option.

Just went out for a beer (while wife had a nap) and came back to discover she'd found a bin liner and told me that the carrier bag wasn't big enough so she'd put the liner in instead. All makes sense so far until I realise she's not removed the carrier bag but simply put the bin liner inside it:huh:.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×