IGNORED

Lescott

Romey 1878

It's a bit frustrating at the minute because I'm getting judged as a left-back. I'd love to play a part in the Germany game,” said Lescott. “But it's going to be harder to get into the squad because I've been playing left-back, and I'm viewed as a centre-back for England.

Well we've been frustrated - because he's been crap all season. He hasn't looked good anywhere this season. He's not been good enough for an England-cap and in my honest opinion he will will leave should he carry on at left-back. I heard a rumour that Sunderland wanted him, and the way he's going they can have him. He's a fantastic player who can score goals but this season he just hasn't been the same player and we can't keep playing him based on last year's performances.

He did score for us yesterday and that will hopefully be the turn - but I'm not holding out for much against Middlesbrough.

ok im sure we've all played some form of football in the past, i will agree with lescott in saying yes it is frustrating when you're coach says i want you to play in midfield when he knows youre a striker. but at the end of the day, where you play is up to the coach, and if he wants you to play in midfield when he knows youre a striker then you play in midfield.

i know lescott is upset, but he is a professional football player, and where DM plays him should be where he has to play. theres nothing wrong with having a left back tag next to a centre back player, it shows his versitility on the pitch. so personally i think he shouldnt be too worried and just play where he gets put, im sure if all of us got a chance to play for everton we'd play wherever moyes put us reguardless of where we wanted to play, lescott just has to do whats best for the team.

Just occurred to me that he has absolutely no votes at all in any MOTM thread this whole season.

That's fifteen matches and 450 odd votes without him getting a single one.

And he won it last year. Shocking.

Wow. I never really thought of that. I thinkhHe won Bluekipper's player of the season last too. He's really gone from being a fantastic player into a really frustrating one, in the same league as Mikel Arteta. Lescott's head for goal has gone too. Even though you woulden't expect a centre back to be scoring week in week out he's not even looked like getting a goal, he's been silent in the penalty box and the only time he has looked decent he scored.

I was glad that he scored against West Ham to give him some confidence but it hasn't worked. Against Middlesbrough he just wasn't good enough and is clinging onto stats and reputation to get his way into the England team. With the whole forum who say Jagielka before Lescott, but its Capello that makes the decision and Lescott's favoured..

In my opinion it was Lescotts fault for Boro's goal, he was dragged badly out of position. I would play Baines at left back and have lescott on the bench. Surely he can not get in the team just for his height.

Lescott was only dragged out of position as he had to cover the centre of defence as otherwise there was a guy totally in down the middle, he had to pick someone to go with and he covered the most dangerous position. In no way was Lescott to blame, Jagielka possibly was as it was he who was totally out of position or the midfield for not getting back to give the defence any cover. It was scary how every time Boro attacked we had were relying on the excellent defence to make last ditch tackles time and again without any protection, with a bit more composure Boro could have torn us to shreds. Let's not just blame Lescott and Arteta for everything, is it any wonder they're not playing well/playing with confidence when every time they do anything remotely dubious they get criticism or abuse. Arteta is probably scared to death trying to beat a man/cross/shoot as in the back of his mind he probably thinks that if he cocks it up he'll get slated, so he takes the easy option and passes it 5 yards every time he gets it. Lescott played ok yesterday.

if arteta is too scared to do his job at the risk of being slated then someone needs to question his ability to do the job he is handsomely paid to do.

lets remember he is the love boy of efc. even when he doesnt play well there are many who will say he played great. gets voted motm in the press even when others contribute more than him.

if he cant take a little stick he should take some advice from some fellow professionals.

no player had more stick than beckham but he managed to keep his form up

if arteta is too scared to do his job at the risk of being slated then someone needs to question his ability to do the job he is handsomely paid to do.

lets remember he is the love boy of efc. even when he doesnt play well there are many who will say he played great. gets voted motm in the press even when others contribute more than him.

if he cant take a little stick he should take some advice from some fellow professionals.

no player had more stick than beckham but he managed to keep his form up

I'm not saying he has been playing well, he hasn't, but it seems to me that - like Gravesen before him - he is being judged against standards that aren't being applied to most of the other players. As he is so talented, when he isn't doing wondrous things then in some people's eyes he is rubbish and should be dropped, the fact that on Sunday he did create our goal, most of his short passing was accurate etc and he was in no way less effective than the likes of Osman or Fellaini goes unnoticed, Fellaini gets praise for doing nothing except keeping it simple whereas if Arteta keeps it simple he gets hammered for slowing down the pace, for not doing enough. People call for him to be dropped when in reality even when he isn't playing well he's better on the wing that anyone else apart from possibly Pienaar, I mean who should play ahead of him - VDM? There was a game recently when Pienaar didn't pass to a blue shirt, yet he's the darling of Goodison and immune from criticism whilst Arteta had a better game but got it in the neck. Also, Beckham got criticism from oppostion fans (except when playing for England), not from Utd fans or Real Madrid, Utd fans stuck by him.

All I'm saying is if I'd had a bad day in work, if I'd made a mess of something the last thing I'd want is my boss or colleagues coming in and telling me what a crap job I'm doing, I'd like a bit of support, especially if I'd been the best performer in the office for about half of my career with that company. If you think having a go at players is the answer then that's your choice, personally I think getting behind them and showing that even in their tough times we'll give them our backing (as long as their committment is there) will have a more positive outcome.

On another note, if Arteta's form doesn't improve (which I also think isn't helped by the lack of movement up front and the lack of quality in the centre of midfield which means he is not getting the ball in dangerous areas, making him wander inside a lot) I'd like to see Arteta in the middle so he can get on the ball. His long/short range of passing is good, he has an excellent shot on him (though never shoots) and he can tackle, plus he's physically stronger than the likes of Osman - I think he could be our Cesc Fabregas, though obviously not as good! I don't understand why Moyes hasn't given him a run there in a 451 as I think it may just bring Arteta out of his rut.

We have played a lot of players out of position. I didn't hear Jags complain when he was played in midfield at the start of the season thanks to thin numbers, or Baines for that matter, who played left midfield and did admirably.

Lescott needs to learn to adapt to where he is played. If he can't then he shouldn't get frustrated, he should learn from his mistakes. I'd prefer Baines at left back because he has pace, he actually closes down attacks when they come in and he has a very decent cross on him, as does neville, so why we aren't letting those two overlap and knock in some crosses and have osman and arteta sit further back is beyond me. Arteta has proven he is not a winger, and Moyes relying on him to be is frustrating.

Ideally, I'd like to see Pienaar and Osman on the sides, Fellaini in the centre, and Arteta and Cahill in Attacking midfield with The Yak or Saha up front. Moyes likes 4-5-1 so that style would suit us. And we could play a full midfield that way.

Whatever Lescott's grumbles he needs to know he's not the only player asked to do something that does not come naturally, and it's all part of developing.