IGNORED

Sunderland. (away)

Bill

SUNDERLAND V EVERTON Sun 9th March at the STADIUM OF LIGHT. Sunderland have won 7 and drawn 3 at home, Everton have won 7 and drawn 3 away, both teams looking for the points but for different reasons. Let battle commence.

LAST SIX GAMES. LWLWLD...MWSnap092.jpg....LAST SIX GAMES. WDDWWW

The thoughts from some of the Sunderland Supporters about their Club, the game, and football in general.

You hold the second longest continious spell in the top tier of football (68 years) with Arsenal being the longest. But how do you feel about having the lowest and second lowest points total in your last two visits to the

Prem.

M4life.. I would say I was angry but that would be the wrong word, probably more upset. In both seasons we

embarrassed ourselves but this season more than makes up for it in my mind, I don't think Derby will reach 15 points this season and we have already passed those totals.

Chester.. Its embarassing I can't defend the club in any way. After reaching the dizzy heights of 7th two years running under Peter Reid we didnt invest and we went into freefall. As our rivals say, we are too good for the Championship but not good enough for the Premiership. This season we want to change that opinion, and finally we are playing with pride and once again I am proud of my club.

At the start of the 07/08 season what were your thoughts or expectations for Sunderland, and have they achieved it or fallen short.

M4life.. I thought we would finish about 12th or 13th and we're still on track to do that, previous seasons we have been scared of some of our opposition, but Keane won't allow that to happen now.

Apple.. I did get lured into a false sense of security and i have done everytime we have come up into the Prem, i know the difference in class is huge but this season i really felt we would have achieved more at this stage in the season. To get Roy Keane as our new manager was a brilliant bit of business and i thought a top 10 finish might be a possible

Chester.. We invested a lot and with Niall Quinn running the club, I was 100 times more confident than last time we got promoted under Mick McCarthy. But if I'm honest I wasn't expecting too much. A mid-table finish and a scrap against relegation looks like I was right. If I'm honest I'm a realist rather than an optimist, but I'm relatively happy so far...at least we have gone past our last points marker in the premiership, and looking strong going into the final run in.

I, and a lot of other footy followers think Kenwynne Jones is an excellent player and has been a huge success for you, Which other players have done well this season, and who has been a bit disappointing for you.

Chester.. Jones is excellent. Strong in the air skillful and very fast. He is definately the catalyst of the team and a suprise in my opinion. I did not expect him to have been such a hit, and the £5m we paid Southampton now seems like a good investment. I like Jonny Evans and hope Manchester United let us have him in the summer. He is composed and a very tidy player. He makes our cult hero Nyron Nosworthy actually look good when they play together in defence.! I also think Daryl Murphy has had a good season, improving every game. Let downs? Whitehead,Chopra and McShane. Over rated.

Apple.. Kenwynne has been brilliant for us and im really proud to have him at the club, he has turned out to be such a good signing, i think he was a bit of a gamble on Roy's behalf but its worked out well. Sadly a lot of players have not worked out so well and a lot of money has been wasted. Roy is a great manager but i feel his signings need to be more scout influenced ie not so many championship players and maybe dip into some silky skilled europeans.

Players i think have played well for us this season would have to be Richardson when he has been fit, and i wish Evans had been signed on loan earlier, cos he has provided a much stronger defence in Bardsley and Evans

Players that have been a disapointment for us would be Halford, he was a waste of money and i dont think he has a premiership bone in his body, McShane started off well for us and kept Berbatov out of the game against Spurs to get us a 1-0 win but sadly went down hill after that. O'Donovan hasnt featured much due to the fact i dont think he is capable of keeping up with premier league tempo, and Stokes, granted he is young and he needs to develop so i feel a loan elsewhere would beneficial to him before he's ready to be a forward in the Prem.

Fairly standard question, what do you think of Everton's performances this season, and do you rate any of our players.

M4life.. Arteta for me is easily on of the best players in the league, incredibly underrated. I hope Everton can get the fourth Champions League spot because I hate Liverpool and seeing what they think is "their spot" being taken by Everton would make my day.

Chester.. Moyes is brilliant I really rate him, he has took Everton forward and turned you from relegation battlers to one the Premiership's top teams. I'm not suprised one bit by Everton's form and they're my dark horse for the UEFA cup. Cahill always seems to score against us and I'd love to see him at Sunderland. I also rate Lescott and think he is quickly establishing himself into one of the top Premiership defenders. You have too many players to mention, I genuinely rate Everton a lot. Well done!

Apple.. Im afraid to say that this season you have been epic, players i've personelly been impressed with of course are Arteta and Cahill playing strong in midfield for you, they seem to be good at controlling the pace of the game and creating plenty of options for the forwards.

Do you recall any memories of previous meetings between the two Clubs, and if so can you tell us why it might jog your memory.

M4life.. Obviously the result earlier in the season, it's the only game i've ever walked out of early.

Chester.. I was present at the stadium of Light when Rooney first came on the scene a few years ago, game wasn't too memorable though, i think you beat us 1-0 if I'm right. I'm only 21 so can't go back too many years but the game that stands out the most was when we beat you in the League cup on penalties down at Goodison. Micheal bridges scored for us, it was an eventful game and a big win for us because we were in the first division. Lets not mention this season's visit though....

Apple.. well ofcourse the 7-1 game springs to mind and i think if we only lost 2-1 it wouldnt have made as much of an impact, so we know we'll have to make it harder for you at the SoL this saturday.

The Media, do you feel that you are often overlooked and not given enough coverage by the TV, Newspapers and such. Even when the Newcs are playing shit they still seem to get more publicity than you.

M4life.. I wish we were on Sky or Setanta more, I normally go to all the away matches but there are some I can't get to and these are always the ones that aren't on TV.

Chester.. We get alot more attention now Roy Keane is at the club, but it does'nt bother me getting overlooked by the media. When are the scummy mags in the news for good reasons? I'd rather be in the news less than them, and let us carry on quietly building a team that will very soon be overtaking them in the league. Its similar with you guys and liverpool, They get all the attention, but most of it unwanted! Let that continue.

Apple.. To get more coverage we have to establish ourselves as a club that is going to be staying in the prem, this will change in time, Newcastle will be getting more publicity than us due to the fact they are playing so badly, erratic moves like bringing Keegan back is the reason they get in the papers, but never for winning anything.

Roy Keane seemed to work a miracle last season, taking you from the bottom of the Championship into the Premier League, Is he capable of keeping you there or do you think you will continue to yo-yo between the two leagues.

M4life.. I think this season we stay in the Premiership and I can't see us going anywhere for quite some time.

Chester.. Only time will tell but I am so much more happier with Quinn and the Irish Consortium in charge of the club. Keane is hungry and a perfectionist. We need that at the club. If we stop up this season I think we will continue to invest and build, and become a genuine Premiership force. Keep the faith!

Apple.. I really cant say at this moment if Sunderland are staying up or going down, but i do feel we are one of the better teams in the relegation battle, altho teams like Birmingham and Wigan seem to perform better under preassure, so it will be close to say the least. If Sunderland manage to stay up we will build on that, we have the money to sign new players so we just need to plant some roots in the prem to attract big names to the club.

And finally The Roker Roar was famed throughout the Country does it still sound as good in the SOL and are you pleased with your new stadium

M4life.. Voted "Loudest Fans In The Country" and "Best Stadium Atmosphere In The Country" if I remember correctly, the SoL is a quality stadium and that's mainly because of the fans.

Chester.. It was a very intimidating place to come and play was Roker Park, but so is the Stadium of Light. We are a loud bunch, and with the pitch being sunk into the ground, the sound tends to circulate and stop in the stadium rather than been lost. This season we have the form back at the SoL and I don't think you will win despite your good form.

Apple.. Absolutely - i only went to Roker once with my father when i was young, so maybe i cant account for all

Safc followers but i know i speak for many that the atmosphere at SoL is excellent and we have always had a top notch fan base, recent surveys did mention us to be the loudest in the Prem

Finish off with how you think the game will go, and add the result and scorers if you like.

M4life.. Chose not to.

Chester.. A draw for me, an entertaining 2-2 draw. Thanks for your time and looking forward to seeing you lot up at the sunny coast. Bring your wellies with you. Ha Ha.

Apple.. 2-1 Richardson and Jones goals. Cahill or Johnson for the Everton goal.

My thanks to DAVE (equinox) who allowed me to put up the request on his forum safc-fans, and to MACKEM4LIFE, CHESTERMACKEM and APPLEYARD who took time out to answer the questions, also thanks to the others who offered but i had to refuse, as it would have made the article far too long. Thanks for the brilliant response....... Bill.

Both teams wanting the points, Sunderland good at home Everton good everywhere :) so if we play to our recent form, i'm going for a 1-2 win, not bothered about who scores, but i have a feeling that we might get our first penalty award of the season.

Who do you think might take it if we do ?? Arteta and Johnson may not be playing. :o

1-1

I lack optimism after thursday and the fact there is no carsley & probs no arteta and osman

hope i am wrong and we can just bouncee backk as we have been done over for europian places this year and could strugle to get inside that top 5.

sunderland will be no mugs battling for there premiership existance dont forget.

Hard game this, we played exactly how we needed to. Patiant build up and picked out time to score. Johnson ran tirelessly as always, Yak had a very quiet game really. Pip was wowful at times but made some important tackles. Arteta seemed to be backto himself today and Pienaar also played well going forward. For me tho, Lescott was man of the match. some of his touches and the way he went pass people would have had the Brazilians talking!

Thought we would get a point, Happy with all 3. 4 more wins and 2 draws will do me nicely thankyou!

Yep..good three points...scrppy game. Sunderland was pumping the ball skywards always (makes me recall how we played during Duncan years!)..Lets hope we were trying to conserve some energy for UEFA cup game. We need to shift 4 gears up from today's game to progress any further in UEFA

Scrappy game, but any win away from home is a good one, its 3 more points and that'll do for me.

To be honest i could'nt care about the Fiorentina game now, we've been in Eufa and put up a good show this year.

Means more to me now to finish above our neighbours, win the next 3 League games and we should be six points ahead of them after the Derby Match (if they've lost to Manure) with only about 6 games to go.

Puts us in a better position to get some more class players into the squad for next years CHAMPS LEAGUE :o .

League position is now more important to me, and hopefully that should see David Moyes getting Manager of the year Again.

Scrappy game, but any win away from home is a good one, its 3 more points and that'll do for me.

To be honest i could'nt care about the Fiorentina game now, we've been in Eufa and put up a good show this year.

Means more to me now to finish above our neighbours, win the next 3 League games and we should be six points ahead of them after the Derby Match (if they've lost to Manure) with only about 6 games to go.

Puts us in a better position to get some more class players into the squad for next years CHAMPS LEAGUE :o .

League position is now more important to me, and hopefully that should see David Moyes getting Manager of the year Again.

Same here, finish 4th and it's been a tremendous season even if we go out the cup on Thursday. Got a tough run in so could do with winning the derby but need at least a draw.