IGNORED

Derby County. (home)

Bill

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spot on. Didn't see see Jags on the bench coming.

Everton's Phil Jagielka has to settle for a place on the bench as David Moyes shuffles his pack defensively.

The former Sheffield United defender's place in the side is taken by Leighton Baines, who slots in at left-back to allow Joleon Lescott to partner Joseph Yobo in the heart of defence.

Steven Pienaar misses out through injury, with his place in the side taken by Manuel Fernandes.

Andrew Johnson returns to the side as partner to Yakubu, with the support from midfield provided by Leon Osman, Mikel Arteta and Lee Carsley.

The bench is made up of Jagielka along with Thomas Gravesen, Nuno Valente, Stefan Wessels and the fit again Victor Anichebe.

Yeah, always look at myp2p.eu for a live stream, I´m watching at the moment on Sopcast!

Just three words to our performance in the 1st half, Ohh my god! Whats up with Yakubu, this ball he is normally able to score with his knee! I can just hope that we play a lot better in the 2nd half and win with 1 goal about the badest team in the Premier League!

mmm not a good display and a worrying last 15mins. Didn't get why he took Manny off he looked the only player to cause them problems. Then the Yak came off. I was wondering "what if" they had scored after these subs as we wouln't have scored a winner. Well they didn't and we need all the points we can get. I agree playing like this and we won't get much from the remaining fixtures.

Remaining fixtures...

Birmingham. ... Away. fighting for their lives. Can expect a harder game than Derby County. a draw at best.

Chelsea. ......... Home. man utd dropped points and now Chelsea are going for Title. defeat.

Aston Villa. ...... Home. better equiped and faster on the attack than us, maybe get a draw at best.

Arsenal. .......... Away. too good and even faster on the attack than Villa. a defeat.

Newcastle. ....... Home. Finishing the season on a high, Viduka, Owen, and Martins too much for us to handle. another draw.

we finish season with 63 points, dont think it will be good enough for 5th, Tony Adams reckons pompey can get 66 points.

It was cold out there today!!

Poor performance, derby are one of the worst teams ive seen come to Goodison and sadly we made it hard work. Then again 3 points are 3 points no matter how they come.

Ossie MOTM for me, has really came into his own this season, he's scored some good goals with todays being no exeception, tidy finish from him, good ball from Manny as well but he has still not done enough for a contract for me though.

Tommy should be hired as a mascot, a brilliant entertainer!!

we finish season with 63 points, dont think it will be good enough for 5th, Tony Adams reckons pompey can get 66 points.

Tony Adams would say that. Pompey have got (with half a mind on the Cup Final)

West Ham away....no guarantee of a win

Newcastle home...same applies to their game with us

Man City away....again tough

Blackburn home...still fighting for Intertoto, no guarantee of three points

Fulham home....six days before Wembley, Fulham either fighting tooth and nail for survival or already gone with no pressure.

Tony Adams reckons they can win four of those? I don't.

Even worst comes to the worst and they take us they're already in the UEFA through the cup so sixth would be enough for us.

We're 1-6 with the bookies for fifth, Pompey are 6-1, that's a fair reflection in my view.

Remaining fixtures...

Birmingham. ... Away. fighting for their lives. Can expect a harder game than Derby County. a draw at best.

Chelsea. ......... Home. man utd dropped points and now Chelsea are going for Title. defeat.

Aston Villa. ...... Home. better equiped and faster on the attack than us, maybe get a draw at best.

Arsenal. .......... Away. too good and even faster on the attack than Villa. a defeat.

Newcastle. ....... Home. Finishing the season on a high, Viduka, Owen, and Martins too much for us to handle. another draw.

A very grim view has us at 63; through blue colored glasses I could see us up to 67 or 69.

Regarding the Derby game I have a couple thoughts:

1.) Where has Arteta gone? The one who is wearing his jersey can't take a dead ball or put in a cross for the life of him. Honestly, he has been nothing short of terrible lately.

2.) I was curious as to why Manny was sitting deeper than Carsley on numerous occasions. Did anyone catch that? I do think his passing has been getting better and better and if he could be had fairly cheaply; I'd still say we should sign him (unless the alternative is Arshavin, then by all means I'd rather go after him).

3.) If this game doesn't prove to Moyes that Osman is much better in the CM then I don't know what will. He looked completely different in the 2nd half.

4.) I think we may see some of the bigger clubs come sniffing at Yobo. He is solid along the back and I would hate to see him go.

I think we will manage to get 3 points in a scrapfest against Birmingham City which would mean we'd have to grab one more win to safely finish in 5th. I'd just like Moyes to field this team once and see if it'd work. I'm not sure we need to have a Carsley type player out there as long as we have good passing in the midfield....

--------------------Howard------------------------

Neville----Yobo-------------Lescott-------Baines

-------------------Fernandes----------------------

Arteta--------------Osman----------------Pienaar

-----------AJ------------------Yakubu-------------

We won, that's all that matters. Confidence is low, players are tired and ending the season on a bit of a downer, so any win was a good result. Yes we may have some tough fixtures, but the bottom line is - we're at least 4 points ahead of our nearest rival (IF they win their game in hand) and 8 points ahead of Villa with 5 games to go, plus we have a better goal difference. Bar a massive collapse and some inspired form from the teams behind (none of whom have shown any great form over the past few months) then 5th place should really be in the bag.

thank god manny and osman steped up to stick one in as nobody else was going too.

very poor hopefully they can take from this win and go down birmingham and rederm themselves abit

i know today was hard work but jesus turn that frown upside down guys :)

were one point of our all time record in the premiership with 5 games to go [ 6 more points should see us into europe and anything else is a bonus]

weve had a good run in europe and a cup semi final and now is the real business end when the fans need us

even united and arsenal are sliping up with there huge squads how are we supose to compete with that

If everyone of you seen the situation we were in today with the league table 3 points behind liverpool and sittin sweet at 5th knowing the 2 great cup runs we have had you all would be very pleased indeed.

Well, as for entertainment it was a huge disappointment, but as for value in the run up, probably a priceless win today. I missed the first half but I imagine if the Yak had put in his chance we would have seen a different game. I got a feeling the boys were a little uptight and unsure after this poor run. Next week will be a crucial game and another must win, I for one can't wait for the Chelsea game, and if we get the win away at Birmingham then I think we might well go on to beat Chelsea.

Manny finally looked the part, and I thought it strange Moyes took him out as he didn't look tired and was the only one giving us any possession. Would have liked to have seen Carsley get a rest today with Manny in his position (as GMorrison suggested). I think that might be his best spot and with his passing range and shooting from distance I think that sort of formation would give us a good new look. Surely worth a shout against a team like Derby at home, no? Oh well.

With Pienaar back (presumably) next week it'll be interesting to see what Moyes does in midfield. I'd be heavily tempted to leave out Arteta as he's been more or less invisible since Fiorentina. Set out Pienaar and Manny on the wings with Ossie and Cars in the middle.

On the plus side it's April and in Chicago I can wear my kit about properly.

COYB

We won, that's all that matters.

How long are we going to have to say that for though? For me, it's wearing pretty thin. To be a top side (which is what we aim to be) you have to win when you perform badly yes, but top sides, on the whole, perform well and win. We seem to have a problem with that.

Edited by Romey 1878