IGNORED

Andrew Johnson... At Last.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest brazil banks

Hi.

I remember reading this on skysports when it first came out and at the time I thought "Isn't it heartening to hear a player who is clearly having a dodgy season, who could easily move on to another team if he so desired, state that he is willing to fight for a place in the squad just like everyone else." A rare thing in football these days, sad as it is. I'd love for AJ to pick his game up and make good on his word. Whether that will happen is anyone's guess. Yak was written off as lazy and "not a Moyes player" by a lot of people but he's changed and improved his game an awful lot since arriving. Moyes is a very canny manager with a real fire for the game and if anyone can mold a player into shape then it's him. But like I said, AJ's got a good attitude (at least he did have in May - another striker coming in might push that faith too far, we'll see) and with some strong, creative midfield additions supplying some fast and artful chances we might just see the AJ/Yak partnership, which could promise so much, hitting it off.

Of course I'm quite prepared to entertain the possibilty that he's simply not good enough. I hear a lot about how we should be aiming for a different class of player if we're going to challenge the top 4. I think that we're a few seasons away from that kind of talk yet but I get the point. What we do have is the solid grounding of an Everton team that can bother every team in the league on their day and contains some very good footballers. I have no doubt that if Moyes can put another four years into this squad then we will be a true footballing force again. There seems to be a nice sense of a new era in Everton FC.

It's going to be an interesting summer and a blinding season.

Keep the faith.

Always Blue.

Edited by brazil banks

According to the Mail, he's been told he can go as Moyes needs a transfer budget.

http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/sport/footba...n.html?ITO=1490

That article worries the fuck out of me. If we have to sell just so we can buy I can only see our squad ending up smaller than it is now by the time the transfer window closes. Happy days ahead eh lads?

It's not ideal if we're having to sell to generate funds (although I think some of this may all be guesswork by the media) but I don't think many could complain if we got £10m back for AJ who has appeared out of his depth at Everton. I admire his work ethic, but he just isn't very good - he's a decent squad player and I don't think a decent squad player is worth £10m. Surely we can sell him and get a more classy forward with a bit of height to link play. Either that or a like for like replacement - eg Owen or Bent, at the right price.

• 2 weeks later...
WHAT ARE THE CLUB DOING REJECTING 9 MILLION FOR HIM <_< I DOUBT WE WILL BE GETTING MANY PLAYERS IN THIS YEAR :(

We could have at least got Fernandes in and a back up keeper with that money

Agreed we need Fernandes and a keeper, but if we let Johnson go, with no replacement lined up we have only Yak, Vic (away for the first few weeks) and Vaughny who, lets be honest, hasn't had the best run with injuries.

I am happy we turned this down. If it got up to £11m and we got Bent/Milito etc lined up then fine, but we need the numbers, and the options he gives us until then!

WHAT ARE THE CLUB DOING REJECTING 9 MILLION FOR HIM <_< I DOUBT WE WILL BE GETTING MANY PLAYERS IN THIS YEAR :(

We could have at least got Fernandes in and a back up keeper with that money

:rolleyes:

If we do want to sell him do you think it'd be a clever move to accept the first offer? Use your brain - there are 4 or 5 clubs interested in him so DING DING bidding war. If we accepted £9million that tells all the other interested clubs that that's the amount we want and they'll all bid that much. By rejecting this offer it either means we do not want to sell full stop or we're hoping the interested clubs or Wigan again put in a higher offer.

^^ I know what u mean but I just can't see a bidding war for a player of Johnsons ability, he just isnt as good as everyone thinks, I dont think he's worth 9 million never mind 10+ but I hope other managers see something I dont.

Edited by Blue4Ever

I reckon Johnson's on his way, but I'ld give him another season. If he gets a good start and a couple of goals under his belt early on then he might hit form again. He's got the potential, his workrate is phenomenal and if he's been playing keepie-uppies with Yakubu in the closed season then they might just hit it off (not in the changing rooms though)

I'm really torn on this issue. 11m for AJ is very good buisness, but he really does work his socks off for the club and he does seem to really love the club as well, however in all fairness he isn't the greatest striker in world and we should be aiming for better, but he does make a great squad member.

I would like him to stay because i really love his attitude and wouldn't really want to see him in another shirt but at the same time 11m for a player of his quality is very hard to refuse. ARHG!!! I just don't know what to think anymore.....