IGNORED

Standard Liege (home)

troy8

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Liege just shut up shop in the 2nd half and we couldn't find a way through, whilst Arteta's set pieces were not at their best, that being said I think he just ran out of ideas as every player in the Liege team is a giant! Lescott lucky not to give away a penalty at the end, he needs to be dropped. I mean, what must Baines be thinking on the bench? why is he even at the club if he cant get a game in a semi injury crisis when our defence are way off form. Cahill and Osman running on empty at the end yet still Moyes doesn't bring Baines on, absolutely insane especially as they'll probably be totally knackered for the more important match at the weekend. Hope Anichebe is ok, he was superb tonight and deserves his place in the team, that being said he needs to learn when to take a step back (as does Vaughan) he was always going to get injured trying to blast a 50/50 ball. Jagielka was superb in the 2nd half, let's just hope we win at the weekend and that Pienaar is back for the 2nd leg. Baines should play next game, otherwise it sends out all the wrong messages as Lescott hasn't been good enough - how many times is he going to switch off and let someone run in behind him before he learns his lesson, cost us 3 points against Blackburn and nearly cost us big time tonight. Castillo looks a nice tidy player, didn't notice him making that many tackles though, good game but I'd like to see a bit more drive and aggression, still he grew into the game and looks a decent player.

Edited by carlmc25

Im not to confident about the return leg. Im just hoping our away form is something to go on. Thought Lescott was poor again,did do some yardage on the wing though. Jags, is excellent in the centre of defence. Castillo was boss, cracking goal, hope we get a few more of them this season. Cahill was probably as bit miffed Vaughan came on as he seemed to be nicking all his headers. Vic did well again on the wing, got a feeling we may see him there a bit more often this season, just hope he's alright after going off.

My points on the players performance.

Jagielka ....9*

Neville ......7

Osman ......7

Anichebe ...7

Arteta .......7

Castillo ......7

Howard .....6

Yakubu ......6

Cahill ........ 6

Yobo ......... 6

Lescott ...... 4

Might as well bring in Baines for the Hull City game there is obviously something wrong with Lescott, deffo not in the right frame of mind and we are leaking goals left right and centre but the tie is not lost yet.

Liege are/were a very good team, they would be a top 6 team in the prem, I think.

We were weak down Lescott's side, and maybe it's time to let Baines have a go at proving himself.

Cahill didn't do much in the 2nd half, but he still needs a couple of games.We did have some good spells of possession, just didn't really know how to break them down.Saying that the Yaks goal was brilliant and he looks on fire if the chances are created.

High balls were pretty much a waste of time......come on lads in the replay, play it through Arteta and Ossie, or even Cahill if he's deep enough.

So we HAVE to score at their place.......give the Yak a couple of decent chances!

OH AND LESCOTT.................HE'S BEHIND YOU!.......Tighten that side up and we have a chance.

Well played Jagielka.

Liege are/were a very good team, they would be a top 6 team in the prem, I think.

Nah! We couldn't compete over a season, but on one night who knows? We'd struggle at the bottom of thde table with the Fulhams, Sunderlands et al. But I felt we did ourselves proud tonight against what I thought was a very decent Everton side.

Well, there's a very strong chance we're gonig out at the first hurdle here. They WILL score at home against us and with our defence right now they'll probably score a few.

Howard - He was ok, needs to work on his kicking though.

Neville - A few pointless hoofs but generally played well.

Yobo - A liability at times, maybe feeling that ankle injury?

Jagielka - Our best defender tonight, he was an absolute rock and was mopping up all of the mistakes from others.

Lescott - An absolute donkey. He was at fault for both goals; the first due to complete stupidity and the second by being caught massively out of position. He wasn't even effective going forward so he had NOTHING to his game tonight. I've been saying it for weeks; HE HAS TO BE DROPPED. That being said, he's clearly a Moyes golden boy and I expect him to start against Hull. How many goals does he have to cost us before Baines gets a go? <_<

Anichebe - I don't see what the fuss was about Vic tonight tbh. I thought he did OK but nothing special, and not a patch on his second half performance against Stoke.

Osman - Gave the ball away cheaply a few times but he's rusty so it can be forgiven. He was mostly neat and tidy.

Castillo - Early on he looked dodgy and gave the ball away a lot but he grew into the game and ended up having a really good game. What a cracking goal as well.

Cahill - Pretty quiet but he did what was asked of him.

Arteta - Started off quietly but got more and more into the game. His set pieces let him down but I thought he was the only player trying to create anything. My MOTM.

Yakubu - He's on fire atm and I thought he had an excellent game. Held the ball up well and used the ball brilliantly.

Vaughan - Never really got into the game.

Just to have a view from the other side, how would you lads rate Standard's players?

I didn't know mutch about Liege, ffs, i didn't even know boloni was there. He likes youth, he launched a lot when he was here. My main beef with him is that he didn't like to make changes during the game. Is he still like that? Anyways, nice side, all in all.

Hi all from Liege, Belgium.

Cheers to Everton, the game was enjoyable and the fans were there. In Anfield the sole Liege fans were to be heard until that damn 117'.

Wink to "From Belgium" for holding the belgian flag on this forum with class and intelligence.

Just felt i'd post my notations for Standard players. It might not be very useful on a Toffee Forum, so you got my blessing to ignore the following ;)

Espinoza 6,5 Or as everyone calls him "the weakest link of the team". He seems to have gained confidence and had a decent game. But a worldclass goalkeeper could have stopped Castillo's goal.

Marcos 6 Very important in his attacking runs. At the base of good ol'Yobo OG. But had a very hard time coping with Arteta defensively.

Onyewu 7 Send those crosses into the box, Goosh is there.

Sarr 7 Serious, intelligent as always.

Dante 6,5 Dynamic, had a lot of workdone

Dalmat 8 His pace is very useful to the team. Made profit of the poor performance of freaky-haired Lescott.

Defour 6,5 Great work rate as usual. Was free from marking in 1st half.

Witsel 7,5 The guy who can hold the ball in midfield. Helped relieve the team when Everton played faster.

Jovanovic 5,5 He's a striker but played left midfielder. He helped defense (he usually doesn't ) but was far from convincing offensively. Has been nicknamed "the snake" for his mazzy runs but those runs were nowhere to be seen. Just back from injury, this might explain.

De Camargo 7 Was exceptional in first half (except when he blocked Jovanovic's attempt). He faded out in 2nd half.

Mbokani 8 This guy is class. Surely the next Fellaini : i guess he'll leave us soon for big bucks.

So good luck for 2nd leg Toffees. I think our partisan crowd will help us play better in Liege. Looking forward to it !

Edited by Exceptional Liege

Well where do you start after that one, my earlier bad vibes were totally justified. To start with I must say that Standard are a cracking outfit with players who are prepared to die for each other, they are a pleasure to watch.

We all knew before the game that Lescott was off the boil, tonight he went stone cold, an appalling display albeit against a very very good winger (DM please note). I blame Tim Howard for the oggy, it seems that he kept his mouth shut when he should have controlled his area, all Joey knew was that a man was close behind him, no one shouted leave so he went for it. Some of our attacking play gave them far more trouble than the shite did, young Vic must be doing well as he impressed even me tonight. We seem to have problems when backing up toward our goal, no one is breaking up play like Lee Carsley did and that is exposing frailties in other players. Castillo scored a peach of a goal tonight and performed reasonably well over the tie, he does have a nasty habit of getting caught in possession which will have to be sorted, he must adjust more to the pace of the game. I'm not certain Baines would have made much difference tonight, he can go forward, which Lescott did quite well, but forgets to get back. Lescott got back only to get beaten with ease.

One other thing that is now becoming a matter of some urgency, will someone stop Arteta from taking so many dead ball kicks because in the main he is crap and wastes far too many, let others share the burden then may be we won't be so predictable

I do not expect us to advance to the next round which is a pity but at least we did not get beaten thanks to a generous referee not giving them a penalty.

There were many positives to be taken from tonight and I trust Moyes will be sorting out the all to obvious problems, he must do being on £65,000 a week

My

Obvious pen, yeah. You got away with murder. But Christ how I loved that first half!

Hows your back FB, all go well mate.

Now I didn't say it was an obvious pen mate but I have seen them given :lol::lol::lol:

One thing your lads did lack was discipline and dante was fortunate not to have seen red. That said you do play very very attractive football, if I was in Belgium I'd support your lot :lol:

that's 3 months rehab at least, but I'm fine, thanks. lovely scar I can tell you :)

If Wilf was a Milf, I'd go straight at his back lol

Glad to see you've adopted us FB and are staying around. Could you tell us what the reaction has been in Belgium, it would be nice to hear the 'other side' of the story mate especially any comparisons between this encounter and your match against our neighbours :)

Fuck!! own goal!

Did you forget that he was a Standard boy ? :D

In a football game is everything possible but I give us now 65 % chance to go through. Everton will have to defeet 12 players and a stadium on fire. We did it pretty well yesterday without Fellaini and could have already won this game if we did not have missed the opportunities.

EBR, Mo's the past and we'll get on without him. Good luck to him but we have to move on. He would have left anyway and Witsel and Onyewu are the most likely to follow come January and May. Birds of prey are already flying around, believe me

Jimmy, the Belgian press unanimously points at Standard's magnificent display while the English press pays lip service to our qualities and only stresses Everton's defensive lapses, which I think is a bit unfair. It takes a good side to make the other one look poor. The general feeling here is that Belgium have at long last found a side able to compete at European level and that we missed a great opportunity indeed against the lot down the road a few weeks ago. When you look at the sides playing in CL, we feel we'd have held our own and we were just terribly unlucky. Yet we already know that money will talk in the end and we won't be able to keep our best players (see above) if we keep on performing like that.

Edited by FromBelgium

Howard - OK but makes me nervous

Neville - OK

Yobo - OK just shame about OG

Jagielka - Superb, should always be at CB ahead of Lescott, Yobo etc

Lescott - Shit, utter shit.

Anichebe - Very, very good once again. Shame about the injury.

Osman - One of the best players on the pitch.

Castillo - Dodgy start, great finish.

Cahill - Quiet...AGAIN. Not my cup of tea.

Arteta - Let someone else take corners. Apart from that very skillful and very good game.

Yakubu - Feed the yak and he will score.

Vaughan - Feel sorry for him, looked a bit lost and poor control when running with the ball.

All in all a good game of football. Who was Liege's left winger? He was very quick and could take players on at speed...

Ok, where to start? A few positives first...

Jags was class last night and showed again the form he had in Europe last year. Didn't put a foot wrong, was strong in the tackle, talking to the rest of the defence. He was a step above anyone else and my MOTM

We looked better going forward than we have done so far this year, but still not great. I thought Vic was ok, but he was not great. IMO he should have stuck to his role out wide and let Yak in the centre, instead Yak was constantly pushed out wide and Vic doesn't have the natural movement to make space for himself in the box so Yak could never set him up. I will add though that Yak was brilliant, his work rate was unquestionable, and a very good finish....

.... and talking about good finishes Castillio's goal was class, the rest of his game however was not. He can pick a tackle but not a pass, most of his passing is too short, however he can work n this and I think he will be a very good signing.

Negatives, Lescott. Thats it. He was a disgrace to himself and the shirt. Fuck knows whats happened to him. Yobo wasn't great but i get the feeling he's carrying a knock. Lescott needs a fucking kick up the arse or a kick to the head. Sort yourself out. Thank fuck for Jags or we would have leaked a fair few last night.

So to sum up last night, ok going forward, shite at the back, just about evened itself out. Not confident about the away leg... one bit. Just hope that Ossie, Cahill and Yobo get back to full fitness and also that Saha is fit and ready to make his bow.

Some people seem to be ridiculously harsh on Arteta (our best player by some distance last night, well apart from Jags). Ok, his set-pieces weren't at their best last night (although we were playing a team of giants) but so far this season in a total of 5 games he's scored 1 free-kick and set up at least 2 goals directly from set-pieces, I don't think that's a bad return and even last night we had 2 clear chances off his crosses/set-pieces. Beckham didn't set up a goal every game from a set-piece. True, they're not as good as they were a couple of seasons ago, but I'm sure he'll get it back. I like the way he mixes up his free-kicks in particular, like the Anichebe goal against Stoke, he's not afraid to try something a little different, to take a quick free-kick. Until the last 20 mins (when he tired) he totally ran the midfield and kept Everton going. He had a big hand in the first goal as well, I thought he was generally superb last night.

edit: that being said, if - like last night - he isn't having one of his better free-kick nights, I do think that someone else could take the odd set-piece to mix it up a bit and take some of the pressure off Arteta. At the moment we totally rely on him to conjure up something, a bit of magic. Be glad when Pienaar returns.

Edited by carlmc25