IGNORED

Wigan (away)

toffee77

Wigan crap!!.....no chance! They were stronger, faster and better than us.

Howard had a good game, no very good game.

Fallaini and Cahill poor games.The rest very average.No passion, no chasing no cut and thrust.Midfield is where we are poor, Cahill seems lost in that role.

Saha started well and Yakubu showed the odd touch, but the service is poor.Anichebe at least showed passion.

Mr Moyes, that new contract!.......Get the players to chase and close down like Wigan did.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Moyes tries to sugarcoat that performance then he should be a politician because he'll be talking out of his arse. We are so negative it's a joke. We're more concerned with not losing rather than winning. That backfired on us, again, tonight. There's no adventure in our side at all, we don't attack and there's just no penetration. We really are scared of going straight at the oppositions goal, instead we'll go sideways and backwards and then try and go forward. McManaman had it spot on - "Everton won't go through you". Watching us play you can see it's one step forward and then 5 back. It's complete and utter shite. We look as devoid of ideas as Moyes does tbh, he clearly does not know how to set up a side to attack and how to change things when it's not working. When are we going to give up on the long ball ffs? Surely our very well paid manager can see it doesn't work? We win very little of the long balls so what is the bastard point? Arrrgggh I'm so angry.

Howard - Had a great game and stopped us being completely spanked.

Neville - He wasn't the only one but he had a stinker. It's his first bad game for a while though.

Yobo - He made a few mistakes but was our best defender tonight. However, that's not saying much tbh.

Jagielka - He had a shocker, he was all over the place and was caught out of position on quite a few occasions.

Lescott - He actually is a donkey disguised as a professional footballer. He was a joke for their goal, made it far too easy for Valencia. Defensively shite and added nothing going forward, Moyes can't justify him starting every week. I'd stick him in the reserves tbh, there's no way he should be guaranteed his place based on last seasons form.

Arteta - Tracked back well but he was complete shite. Slowed everything down, as usual. Set-pieces were bollocks and created nothing. He needs dropping as well.

Fellaini - He never really got into the game and it just passed him by for the most part.

Cahill - Tonight he crossed the ball better than Arteta has for the past season and a bit. He wasn't brilliant but he was our best midfielder IMO. He battled when it was needed and he was the only one willing to run forward with the ball. He really needs to start putting his chances away though.

Osman - Wank. He battled but didn't do the job he's out there to do. Gave the ball away so many times I lost count. Another player who needs dropping.

Saha - He frustrated me tonight. He's a greedy bastard and holds onto the ball far too long. He looked bright in the first 15minutes but as the midfield capitulated he had nothing to feed off.

Yakubu - Not good and not bad either. That's all I can really say about him.

Absolutely disgraceful, I try not to swear on forums but I am almost at bursting point after that performance. Moyes looks like a buffoon at the moment, how bad must we play before he makes some changes, drops some people or make some early substitutions? I don't mind us playing badly, but what is unacceptable is lack of passion and commitment. I thought Wigan were totally useless, devoid of confidence, could hardly string two passes together, gave the ball away all night and looked shaky at the back and yet they won, that shows how bad we were. I think that must be one of, if not the worst performance I've ever seen. I've tried sticking up for Arteta and thought he couldn't get any worse but 3 corners aside (in first 5 minutes) he was just 100% crap, Cahill see,s to lack any sort of drive and apart from Osman (who made a lot of tackles and worked hard) and Saha, no one else apart from Yobo and Howard had a decent game.

If anyone tries to stick up for Fellaini AGAIN (just because he's a new signing) I think I'll blow my stack, he put in possibly the single worst performance I've seen since Nyarko's Everton career. He can't run, he won't track back, his passing was diabolical, he is the least driving central midfielder I've ever seen, instead of grabbing a game by the scruff of the neck he just stands there sauntering about while the opposition run rings round him and Osman has to try and pick up the pieces. I never thought I'd see Everton having to rely on tiny lightweight Leon Osman to be our ball winning sitting midfielder, it's an absolute joke. Ok, Fellaini may not be a Carsley type player, but what is he? he's certainly no Steven Gerrard is he? I wouldn't pay £1.5m for him on his last 2 performances never mind £15m. What drives me insane is we basically have nothing else to play for, we have somehow managed to get into 7th position when we deserve to be in the bottom 3, yet STILL the players can't even put the effort in to try and win when we could have been pushing the top 4. Yakubu was another disgrace whilst if Lescott isn't dropped after that so called defending he never will be, I cannot believe that he jogs over to Valencia only to then decide to accelerate and commit himself at precisely the worst moment possible, it was embarrassing. Well done Howard, that save from the corner must be save of the season.

Drop Arteta, Yakubu, Lescott and Fellaini asap, I don't know how anyone could play worse, at least some other players may actually care. Fellaini is seriously getting on my nerves, the most important position on the pitch and he hardly breaks into a jog all match, criminal.

howard- only positive of this game. 1st time ive felt comfortable with him in goal this season

neville- average

yobo- delt with most well

jags- not at his best but still above average

lescott- looks like he's playin 4 a transfer to the newcastle defence, hes that wank! he's been consistently bad and probs cost us atleast 5 points already this season and needs droppin for baines

arteta- average by his standards but probs r best mf 2nite. will probs get more undeserved stick and made the scape goat again

fellaini- looked lost and never quite got in the game.

cahill- absolute dross! should only be played in a 451 formation

osman- never really got into the game

saha- the difference in quility he looked from the rest of the team in the 1st half was huge, but sadly ended up playin shite like the rest of the team

yakubu- terrible once again, never looked like scorin. needs droppin.

think moyes needs to man up and drop lescott and yakubu and try somethin new.

howard- only positive of this game. 1st time ive felt comfortable with him in goal this season

neville- average

yobo- delt with most well

jags- not at his best but still above average

lescott- looks like he's playin 4 a transfer to the newcastle defence, hes that wank! he's been consistently bad and probs cost us atleast 5 points already this season and needs droppin for baines

arteta- average by his standards but probs r best mf 2nite. will probs get more undeserved stick and made the scape goat again

fellaini- looked lost and never quite got in the game.

cahill- absolute dross! should only be played in a 451 formation

osman- never really got into the game

saha- the difference in quility he looked from the rest of the team in the 1st half was huge, but sadly ended up playin shite like the rest of the team

yakubu- terrible once again, never looked like scorin. needs droppin.

think moyes needs to man up and drop lescott and yakubu and try somethin new.

u havin a giraffe!! why hasn't anybody said drop neville. utter shite. for a change he did pass to a blue shirt tonight - pity we were in hi-vis jackets. What more proof does cappello need that lesscott is trash. It makes me think he plays shit on purpose so Moyes won't play him there. Plus can anyone answer me this- why the fuck did moyes bring baines on last 5 and shift jags to rb????? a certain match salvaging tactic - top subtituting agin moysey. JOKE. Howard-well done son top class keeping. cahill was arite but that chance at the death...i lay motionless on the floor in disbelief tbh. yak seemed to run more but ineffective. why does moyes think anuchebe is a right winger?? he's dross there. Ossie just cudnt get a foot in same to screech. plus why the hell do commentators still think arteta can change the game for us?? He's bollocks. Utter bollocks.

SO, to sum up:

-if i see another game of hoofing the ball like that i will commit a crime

-drop neville and lesscott asap

-teach players how to challage the ever occuring long balls on monday morning

-i'm cross

-how the hell are we 7th??????

Alrite lads just got in from work <_< did'nt catch the game just the result pretty glad i could not watch it from what i've read. We wont have much joy against Spurs in my book as they are on form and have some very good attacking players so where fucked basically :rolleyes: only a 3 point difference from 7th to 15th we could see ourselves slipping down the table quite quickly if something doesnt give soon and as we know we will more then likely have fuck all to spend in Jan it doesnt look good.

EXtremely disappointed......Horrible performance i will say......as many will agree, we need to grab three points from these teams!

The problem was not just this game, but this season as whole. If i can recall correctly, many times last year, i felt we played very well but were UNLUCKY not to come back with three points....but this year, we have been playing very badly and we are LUCKY to come back with three points....

Arteta just does not know how to cross.....Lescott is a shame....Osman is lightweight....Fellani is OK..needs more time and he is not a replacement for Carsley.....On whole, we are not putting crosses in, nor are we able to string few passes together and we are not defending either...a good receipe for a failed season............

Currently the weakest link is still our midfield and i hope Moyes does something about it come January at least!

Just woke up and am still gutted about the performance. We just didn't look passionate enough. Wigan are one of the worst teams in the Premiership and deserve to be beaten every week because of thier whole package is just not Premiership standard. We should have won that game and I think most of us went into that game expecting a win too much. If Saha's early shot would have gone in it would have been a totally differant story and I think we would have gone on and battered Wigan but we didn't and the thing that annoys me the most is that Wigan are and played utter shite and we still lost.

We've come to the point that we are playing our UEFA Cup "rivals" (at least from last season)....(oh and Chelsea).

Sunday, 30 November 2008

Tottenham v Everton, 15:00

Sunday, 07 December 2008

Everton v Aston Villa, 16:00

Saturday, 13 December 2008

Man City v Everton, 15:00

Monday, 22 December 2008

Everton v Chelsea, 20:00

Are we going to be stuck where we are after all those games? I can't see us doing much against Tottenham and Aston Villa will be just like Wigan, play a low level standard of football but still manage to scrap a goal in and win the game. Manchester City will be a joke, I predict something like 5-0 at that game and I'm unsure whether I even want to go and watch the Chelsea game, another 5-0 defeat.

Edited by dark

No drive, no passion, no leadership, no creativity, nothing!

This was an awful display, there was nothing shown last night to give me any sense of hope for the next 4 games; Spurs, Man City, Chelsea and Villa. Potential 5 game losing streak which could see us bottom 3 for Christmas.

Arteta doesn't look interested and hasn't for 2 seasons, Lescott is simply awful, spent all summer talking himself up as a centre half- I don't even think he is a defender on recent showings. Feillani only seems to pass sidewards and gets lost in the game. Osman's attacking abilities are lost as he's the only midfielder that tracks back and Cahill should not be played in any formation other than 4-5-1

We need to get back to what works, 4-5-1 and fast. Playing 2 up top with Cahill is always going to weaken the side. Play Cahill behind the lone striker or drop him.

No defensive midfielders mean we lose the ball too often and fail to track back. Castillo or Rodwell need bringing into the side. I'd say Baines does too but he's played poorly when given half a game here and there (possibly because he's only getting half a game at a time). We lack anyone in the back 4 who is talking/ screaming at others when things go wrong.

Overall, very poor display, same as previous weeks but I think the last 2 games have gotten worse... I am fearful of the next 4 games and what could happen against any team that has wingers that are told to run at Lescott as the Boro game and last night shown that as a massive weak link

Martin - I think you're being very unfair on Wigan tbh, they ARE a good side, a very good side infact. At least they play football more than we do, that instantly makes them better than us. They were playing very well at the start of the season but lost a few games due to late goals, their position doesn't really reflect how they've played this season and neither does ours.

Absolutely disgraceful, I try not to swear on forums but I am almost at bursting point after that performance. Moyes looks like a buffoon at the moment, how bad must we play before he makes some changes, drops some people or make some early substitutions? I don't mind us playing badly, but what is unacceptable is lack of passion and commitment. I thought Wigan were totally useless, devoid of confidence, could hardly string two passes together, gave the ball away all night and looked shaky at the back and yet they won, that shows how bad we were. I think that must be one of, if not the worst performance I've ever seen. I've tried sticking up for Arteta and thought he couldn't get any worse but 3 corners aside (in first 5 minutes) he was just 100% crap, Cahill see,s to lack any sort of drive and apart from Osman (who made a lot of tackles and worked hard) and Saha, no one else apart from Yobo and Howard had a decent game.

If anyone tries to stick up for Fellaini AGAIN (just because he's a new signing) I think I'll blow my stack, he put in possibly the single worst performance I've seen since Nyarko's Everton career. He can't run, he won't track back, his passing was diabolical, he is the least driving central midfielder I've ever seen, instead of grabbing a game by the scruff of the neck he just stands there sauntering about while the opposition run rings round him and Osman has to try and pick up the pieces. I never thought I'd see Everton having to rely on tiny lightweight Leon Osman to be our ball winning sitting midfielder, it's an absolute joke. Ok, Fellaini may not be a Carsley type player, but what is he? he's certainly no Steven Gerrard is he? I wouldn't pay £1.5m for him on his last 2 performances never mind £15m. What drives me insane is we basically have nothing else to play for, we have somehow managed to get into 7th position when we deserve to be in the bottom 3, yet STILL the players can't even put the effort in to try and win when we could have been pushing the top 4. Yakubu was another disgrace whilst if Lescott isn't dropped after that so called defending he never will be, I cannot believe that he jogs over to Valencia only to then decide to accelerate and commit himself at precisely the worst moment possible, it was embarrassing. Well done Howard, that save from the corner must be save of the season.

Drop Arteta, Yakubu, Lescott and Fellaini asap, I don't know how anyone could play worse, at least some other players may actually care. Fellaini is seriously getting on my nerves, the most important position on the pitch and he hardly breaks into a jog all match, criminal.

Carl...completely agree with Fellaini. Despite having an OK 1st half he need not have been on the pitch for second half and sat on the sidelines to catch his breath.

I'd prefer Osman to Anichebe in a 4-5-1 other than that i would go with your team but DM wont do anything like that, he would play Rockwell before Castillo and no way will he drop Arteta. :angry:

I'd prefer Osman in the team ahead of Fellaini rather than Anichebe, in fact I'd probably prefer anyone in the team ahead of Fellaini as long as they have more energy than a sloth. I can't believe how slow Fellaini is, one time last night he and another player were at a standing start, the ball was approx 10 yards away and Fellaini had about 3 yards headstart, yet the other guy got there first. There is no way he can cut it in the Premier League if he is that slow, you may be able to get away with it in central defence but not in central midfield, he is looking a bona fide donkey and we need to get Castillo or Rodwell in fast, someone with some mobility and an engine as although our whole team is playing like a bunch of talentless buffoons, I think a lot of it has to come down to the lack of pace in the central midfield area which is making us the slowest attacking team in the league. Plus obviously, as most of us surely predicted, we look totally useless in a 442. To be fair, we've looked pretty much totally useless in a 451 without Carsley as well, but surely we have to go back to 451 and just pray something clicks.

We basically only miss one player from last year - Carsley - and Fellaini has been brought in to the team, yet that one change has changed us from playing some of the best football we've played in years, during spells of last season, to playing totally abysmal football in virtually every game this season. It can't be a coincidence. Carlsey's legs may have been ageing but he was still 50% quicker than Fellaini and at least drove the team on.

The other thing driving me insane (apart from Lescott's defending) is Arteta's desire to get rid of the ball as soon as he picks it up. 90% of the time all he does EVERY TIME he gets it is pass it straight to Lescott. Am I missing something? Arteta is our best ball player, our creative talisman, whilst Lescott has no real creativity, cannot cross, cannot really pick out a pass or beat a player (even when playing very well last year) but relies on overlapping the fullback, YET Arteta just gives it to him every time and then stands there and says 'go on Joleon, do something.' STOP PASSING TO OTHER PEOPLE WHO DON'T HAVE HALF OF YOUR TALENT AND DO SOMETHING YOURSELF!!! rant over... :)

Your right Carl, i just cant lay my finger on why or what has turned some good half decent players into pub team players. They cant string two passes together, and look as tho they spent the day on the piss til a few minutes before the game.

Oh i apologise, i think i'm being a bit unfair to some pub teams, I've seen many pub teams play a lot better than that.

shit happens guys, suck it up and get revved for the next game

Moyes is not an idiot. If we're noticing these things happening your damn skippy Moyes has already tried ways around the situation; all he's doing at the moment is trying to force things to work. He's kept Lescott at left-back because he doesn't want to drop him and he's trying to fit him in the squad. He probably feels that Baines is not up to the fitness levels needed. He has looked a bit red-faced at the end of games where he has started. He's not playing Castillo probably because he's not confident he will do the job Moyes is asking of him. Casti is more like Fellaini, he likes going forward and is box to box but like Fellaini not consistent, and therefore Castillo is only if too many players get injured, a situation where he has no other choice but to play him. Arteta, well, there's no excuse for his bad form and I get the feeling Moyes wants Pienaar to start but the same reason he didn't start tonight is the same reason for boro, he's struggling with some niggling injuries. I’d love to see Pienaar play more but I’d rather him be fully fit and gives us his best than us ending up criticising him only to learn he was still coping with injury. Cahill came back off injury and hasn’t look the same, remember he had an operation and has still managed to bag a few goals for us. The Yak and Arteta are the only pair with no excuses but look at it, Moyes’ options right now are very limited. We can’t play 4-5-1 because we don’t have the strength in depth, but we spent all last season playing it so now the players are finding it hard to gel in a 4-4-2. There used to have a different setup and theyre trying to adjust.

But for fucks sake cut em some slack. Yes it’s Wigan, yes it was a poor loss but everyone is losing to everyone this season. To be honest this is the strangest and most exciting season I’ve seen for a while. And we were doing pretty shit the year we got a champs league place. While Moyes has options and could arguably employ a different setup there’s noone to replace our key players if something goes wrong, Moyes is just covering all bases. Unfortunately it means our form is compromised until we have all our players fit at which point we’ve got options.

But Pienaar is out so no-one in midfield is getting dropped. Vaughan is out, and Moyes won’t play Saha on his own so The Yak won’t be dropped. The only change we could expect to see is Baines starting the next match, which I would be glad but like I said there may be reasons for it. At this point in time we’re about to enter the Christmas No Man’s Land against 3 teams going for the spot we want and 1 team who will probably win the league. Its going to be tough, but just suck it up, move on and get behind em for the next game. A season is not defined by one game, but the attitude you take from it could decide your season. The players have to improve, but we have to encourage them to. Moyes is as frustrated as us and I think if he had a choice he would make some bold changes but at the moment he’s trying to keep a balance.

At the end of the day, the big four have all suffered upsets, look at Arsenal. Nothing is certain, and we still have more than half a season left. I’m not losing faith, I never will. Yes we played shit, deal with it.

I admire your commitment but you seem to be saying that all this negativity is based on just the one game against Wigan - it isn't. We haven't played well for 90 minutes once this season, not even once. That is totally unacceptable. Moyes may have excuses when it comes to personnel and injuries, transfer budgets etc, but he has no excuses for the lack of passion being shown in certain games, he is the manager and has to motivate his players, whoever they may be, to try their best. If they won't play for him then questions have to be asked. One minute you say Moyes knows as well as anyone our problems, next minute you say he won't drop anyone just because he won't (Yakubu etc) - quite frankly that's not good enough. I have been a critic of Anichebe in the past but this season his hold up play, his application have been much improved, yet even though Yakubu has only scored once in 10 games (and let's be honest, he has hardly threatened a goal in those 10 games or threatened to break sweat) Anichebe still barely gets a kick unless someone is injured. If he isn't going to get a chance when Yakubu and Saha look useless together, when Yakubu is contributing virtually nothing game after game, then when exactly is he going to get a chance? The same with Baines/Lescott. Baines hasn't looked brilliant when he has played this season, but he has played nowhere near as many games as Lescott or as badly as Lescott, yet once again Baines cannot get a look in - why did we even buy him, why didn't we sell him in the Summer and why is he even on the bench if the best he can hope for us to come on with 5 minutes to go when we're losing to Wigan and playing the worst football the world has even seen? It's a joke, Moyes just won't drop players unless they're youngsters.

The fact is we're somehow in 7th but I think every one of us recognises that had we actually got the results we deserved then we could quite seriously be in the bottom 3.

Edited by carlmc25

I admire your commitment but you seem to be saying that all this negativity is based on just the one game against Wigan - it isn't. We haven't played well for 90 minutes once this season, not even once. That is totally unacceptable. Moyes may have excuses when it comes to personnel and injuries, transfer budgets etc, but he has no excuses for the lack of passion being shown in certain games, he is the manager and has to motivate his players, whoever they may be, to try their best. If they won't play for him then questions have to be asked. One minute you say Moyes knows as well as anyone our problems, next minute you say he won't drop anyone just because he won't (Yakubu etc) - quite frankly that's not good enough. I have been a critic of Anichebe in the past but this season his hold up play, his application have been much improved, yet even though Yakubu has only scored once in 10 games (and let's be honest, he has hardly threatened a goal in those 10 games or threatened to break sweat) Anichebe still barely gets a kick unless someone is injured. If he isn't going to get a chance when Yakubu and Saha look useless together, when Yakubu is contributing virtually nothing game after game, then when exactly is he going to get a chance? The same with Baines/Lescott. Baines hasn't looked brilliant when he has played this season, but he has played nowhere near as many games as Lescott or as badly as Lescott, yet once again Baines cannot get a look in - why did we even buy him, why didn't we sell him in the Summer and why is he even on the bench if the best he can hope for us to come on with 5 minutes to go when we're losing to Wigan and playing the worst football the world has even seen? It's a joke, Moyes just won't drop players unless they're youngsters.

The fact is we're somehow in 7th but I think every one of us recognises that had we actually got the results we deserved then we could quite seriously be in the bottom 3.

You're spot on with it but my argument is more towards our reaction rather than the flaws in the team. We are 7th, we don't deserve to be however our poor form is something the team need to work out themselves. It's close enough to the same team we were fielding last year bar one or 2 exceptions, so we know we can get the results with the players on the pitch. There's a difference to how you play however with 10's of thousands of fans screaming and spurring you on, to a few thousand fans barely reacting because you're playing poorly. I just think that positive re-enforcement is what the players need, they need confidence in theire abilities, and right now they don't have it. As fans we have an obligation to do our part, however small, in helping us get that confidence back.

It's easy when we play shit to criticise and poke holes, but it won't change how we are on the pitch. Some people have said that after the performance we put in their not even going to watch the spurs game, and excuse me for saying but i think that's fucking shit. Youre only a fan if you stick by your team through hard times and good, and considering were 7th, were not exactly on hard times just yet. My point was our season isn't over, and when we get our confidence back we'll be every bit the everton that other teams are afraid of. It just pisses me off that people level a constant wave of criticism at the players, even if they deserve it, because they know what's right with the club. If that's true then every fans an expert. Yes they are some changes that should blatantly be being made, and it's frustrating not knowing what is going through Moyes head when he makes the decisions he does, but he has everton's best interests in mind and he has got us results before.

I just think that while they deserve the criticism at a certain point you have to cut your losses and just say look, we're in a good position, we're playing badly, but we have to believe that the players are as disappointed, if not moreso, by the performances and our doing the best they can to improve. If it turns out we fight relegation and have a shit season, then we'll have got what we deserved. If things change and we end up having a great season, then the team saw the problems worked em out and we won't have to worry. Im just not a fan of being this negative at this point in the season, because nothing is written in stone, and everyone turned up at Goodison and started shouting how they felt at moyes and the players, they wouldn't want to win if they knew the fans were that fickle.

It's not a massive point, i was as disappointed as everyone else last night watching the game, shouting and screaming at every bad pass and wasted chance, but when i left i thought ok, lets get ready for the next game and hope for something better.

thats just my attitude on things, and its why i dont get dispondant when we play football like a bunch of blind drunk donkeys trying to cross a bridge in the dark.

Drop Lescott and replace with Baines

Drop Yak and go 4-5-1.

Drop Arteta

Howard

Neville Yobo Jags Baines

Castillo

Anichebe Felliani Cahill Pienaar

Saha

Anichebe for Arteta will be controversial but it might give Mickey a kick up the backside.

Your spot on with that mate...Were playing Arteta and Lescott becasue they are Arteta and Lescott...They are frankly baggage atm.

Carl...completely agree with Fellaini. Despite having an OK 1st half he need not have been on the pitch for second half and sat on the sidelines to catch his breath.

Why the fuck was he playing left midfield in the 2nd half ?? Playing in front of Lescott will make anyone look shit !!

Jason