IGNORED

Old Firm Moving To The Premiership?

It seems that Celtic and Rangers are on the cards to make a move to the English Premiership. No team outside the Old Firm has won the SPL since it was formed in 1998 and there has only been one season (2005–06) where both clubs failed to occupy first and second positions, with Hearts finishing second behind Celtic.

Is this a good thing?

Uefa would not oppose Celtic and Rangers joining an English Premier League, with any decision being down to the leagues and associations involved. The Premier League, the Football Association, their Scottish counterparts and the Football League would all have to give their approval. Manchester United, Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal are likely to be against the plan as it would affect their income.

Full Story

I don't want them here. Just because their league isn't competitive enough doesn't mean they can jump ship. Really it's all about the extra income they could earn, that's the real reason they want to move leagues. They're not going to make the Premiership a 22 team league so the teams from the Championship would suffer just to accomodate their greed. No, I'm dead against it.

Edited by Romey 1878

To be honest I wouldn't have a problem with it I'd make them "qualify" first though, something involving a few championship teams & only after droping out of their league first. I think they would be shite anyway

They probably would be at first, but with the added income they'd have just for finishing anywhere in the PL they'd soon be able to improve their squads.

If they did come into this league then they would probably be free from relegation for a few seasons under the FA ruling.

A rather dull comment was raised on the BBC website

If Celtic and Rangers wish to move from Scotland then they should go for Serie A or La Liga

This 'idea' is being touted by Phil Gartside, chairman of Bolton, they'd be relegated to start with. Unfortunately as we already have Welsh teams in the leagues then there is a chance this will go through. Personally it will soon fall apart if one of them is relegated.

What seems to be the case here is the richer clubs yet again waving two fingers at the less well off. Our league structure has existed longer than any other so if this is voted on each club should have an equal say, if that happened it would die a death, money talks louder than anything else :angry:

This 'idea' is being touted by Phil Gartside, chairman of Bolton, they'd be relegated to start with. Unfortunately as we already have Welsh teams in the leagues then there is a chance this will go through. Personally it will soon fall apart if one of them is relegated.

What seems to be the case here is the richer clubs yet again waving two fingers at the less well off. Our league structure has existed longer than any other so if this is voted on each club should have an equal say, if that happened it would die a death, money talks louder than anything else :angry:

1st of all, I think it's a sound idea, since if there's already non-english teams in it, there's a precedent, and makes sence. However, I don't think increasing the number of clubs in the PL is fair. Teams already play a lot of games, this would stress out squads even further. However, I think that have them come in at the PL, of playing some sort of playoff with the championship teams for promotion is not fair, I think they should enter at championship level, fighting for a spot there. And that's a compromise, as any other teams from England would have to start at the bottom of the pyramid...

Unfortunately as we already have Welsh teams in the leagues then there is a chance this will go through.

But they all joined at the bottom of the pile, unprecedented for someone to be dropped into the top tier.

Forget about it falling apart when they get relegated, tell them if they want to come south they get to go into the Championship and earn their place. And be grateful.

Guest efctaxi

Can you imagine the travelling time , and indeed cost for fans in the south ?

It is quicker and cheaper to travel to Belgium / Holland etc than it is for a Southern fan to go all the way up there .

Thanks but no thanks , especially the way they behaved recently when they visited Manchester .

We don't need more teams in the leagues , as there are enough struggling as it is . If they want to play against English clubs , perhaps invite the interested English parties to play in their division .

Th Scots hate the English . I'd much rather God cut it off with a big knife and let it float away into the Atlantic somewhere , hit an ice berg , and sink . ;)

For the sake of Scottish football it would be a very good thing. I'm not sure the English would it see it the same way.

Being a Liverpool fan in a sea of Celtic/Rangers fans it would certainly be nice to rub some victories in their noses.

For the sake of English football it would be a disaster, shit it took us long enough to get shut of both Smith and Strachan :D , unfortunately this will not be decided by the fans but by the greedy bastards who run our game these days. Let Scotland be for the Scots. What happens when the two Edinburgh teams start dominating the residue of the Scottish league, will we have to make room for them, who will qualify for Europe, would it be right that the Scots could qualify in both leagues, this is a can of worms that should be kept shut before the hordes from north of the border start rampaging down here...................remember Manchester last season?????? :angry:

It seems that money is behind all of this. The Bolton chairman is all for it but that's only so that there is more security from relegation. The teams in London are against the idea and have been the ones that have stopped the move in the past so if anyone is going to stop them its going to be the big teams in London. Both Celtic and Rangers have openly admitted their interest in joining the English leagues in the past as in 2001 they looked to be making the move before it was denied.

I don't know. Scottish football in the Scottish league.

No thankyou to either of them. Whilst I credit them for wanting to aim higher and being apart of the Premier League, I think that their league is their own, and despite the fact they dominate it, whose to say that will be the case in 5-10 years. A lot can happen in that time, teams get better and some get worse, whose to say it wont happen to either of them.

bollocks to the sake of scottish football thats the sfa's problem leave us out of it! i dont want them here if they want to do summat let them do it but dont come messin up our league its all fine as it is! and if they were to come in come in at conference level why the hell should they get to come in at championship level?

Guest efctaxi

The Scottish FA can't exactly be the sharpest knife in the drawer either if they want to lose teams .

Let them play in their kilts with pink knickers underneath on a windy day .......... but do it in Scotland .

Anyone found that knife yet ?

shit idea, im not even a fan of cardiff and swansea being in english football (fair play to them coming through the bottom way but still they are not english)

instead of shipping celtic and rangers to our leagues and fucking up a system that works...ish why not help out other scottish teams with money so they can then challenge celtic and rangers, same for out country, instead of fucking clubs up with debt so they lose points, why not help them, make it better by helping instead of taking the easy quick option. FA are twats.

Can you imagine the travelling time , and indeed cost for fans in the south ?

It is quicker and cheaper to travel to Belgium / Holland etc than it is for a Southern fan to go all the way up there .

So you want belgian teams in the PL? I'm with you! :D

Hahah, maybe good plan to wind the scottish up :lol:

Extend the Carling cup into a UK and Ireland competition by all means but I'd not like to see the Old Firm in the English league.

That's actually a very good idea Louis, I still think that both of them would want to be the Premier League but this should be the closest they are allowed.

thats what i was thinking, the championship is a good competive underrated league...

i know, and this year they would have had no chance.

teams like wolves birmingham bristol city reading and the rest of the top half are capable of beating them on their day.

i have been impressed with swansea and that roberto martinez, they play some nice football just been promoted from league 1. they will be in the prem within 5 years