IGNORED

Luisão

0820 BST: Everton have been knocked back in their efforts to replace Joleon Lescott with Benfica's Brazilian central defender Luisao. (Portuguese press) from bbc.co.uk/sport.

Would have been a class signing. This is the level of player that we should be targeting. An improvement, not a huge step back like shite such as Distin or Huth.

I think Distin may prove to be a canny signing but that's another thing :P

Wow. If we actually enquired about Luisao then I am impressed since I think this is the level of Moyes' ambition but wasn't sure the board would meet it. As long as they continue to back him in his efforts for this level of player then we'll be okay.

I think Distin may prove to be a canny signing but that's another thing :P

Wow. If we actually enquired about Luisao then I am impressed since I think this is the level of Moyes' ambition but wasn't sure the board would meet it. As long as they continue to back him in his efforts for this level of player then we'll be okay.

I just think he's a bit of a nothing signing. Quickly aproaching 30, never really impressed or done anything, big wages. Just not the type of player we should be going for.

I just think he's a bit of a nothing signing. Quickly aproaching 30, never really impressed or done anything, big wages. Just not the type of player we should be going for.

He wishes! He's past 30! Luiaso would be amazing, I'm sure Benfica would deal once the players head gets turned and we bid closer to his valuation (a la citeh with lescott!)

This puzzles me, why bid £10 million for Luiaso when Newcastle asking price for Taylor is 8 million? Luiaso is quality, but Taylor is quite younger and more used to the English top flight.

ive got to disagree with all this hype around Huth and Taylor. theyre both part of a defence that saw teams relegated! i didnt see Taylor enough to judge to be fair, but Huth hardly made a lasting impression, although some of my colleagues are Chelski fans and said he was a fan favourite and wouldve gone far. that being said, at the moment, i would be happy for us to have anyone, Distin and Senderos included...

Edited by galacticaracnid

Would be a quality signing and i agree, these are the sort of players we should be after to improve the team, not frigging Huth, thank fuck he's going Stoke :D £12m would be the most for Luisao, but he is a class defender who would be amazing next to jags as he has everything Jags hasnt and vice versa...!

It's their offense you need to worry about...

Cardozo, Saviola, Aimar, if they're on a good day, they can be pretty mean to defenders...

Yeah, thats what i said in the draw section. If you nullify their attack, their backline is ok to digest, and i dont think we'll have major problems. If we get in their face, make them rush and make mistakes, we should be ok for a draw at their place and hopefully we can boss it at ours :)

It's their offense you need to worry about...

Cardozo, Saviola, Aimar, if they're on a good day, they can be pretty mean to defenders...

oh dear... can you give us some (official game) references on that mighty power?

I fear much more our trip to Athens in that respect...

Given a toss-up between Luisao and Taylor, its pretty much a no brainer.

Luisao has been internationally capped 34 times, 34 more than Taylor xD

I do think Taylor is quality and will only get better with time, but for the here and now Luisao would be a much better use of money than Distin

oh dear... can you give us some (official game) references on that mighty power?

I fear much more our trip to Athens in that respect...

Sporting's a Portuguese who's been a member here for more than a year.

He's likely to have a bit more knowledge on Benfica than most of us :) .

Yeah, I agree patto.

Also, a trip back to reality for people who want Luisao right now . . . Benfica are likely to hold out for money we simply don't have, especially when you consider it is the very end of the transfer window.

Maybe in a year after Bill and Davey have been scraping the pennies together and we'll put in a bid for him.

Yeah, thats what i said in the draw section. If you nullify their attack, their backline is ok to digest, and i dont think we'll have major problems. If we get in their face, make them rush and make mistakes, we should be ok for a draw at their place and hopefully we can boss it at ours :)

The problem is the alternatives they currently have.

Saviola, at 27, seems determined to make up for his last season, where he virtually didn't have play time.

Cardozo is reaching his top form, and is a dangerous attacker, both in the box as well as with his free kicks.

The mid-field is a young one, with Ramires, Di Maria and Javi Garvia along side veteran Aimar, that needs a boost after last season's less than stellar performances.

And in addition, there's keirrison, nuno gomes, fabio coentrão and weldon, who doesn't really have a shinning resumé, but whom manager jorge jesus knows very well, and has shown that he's got quality to fight for a place with the rest of them.

18 months ago we missed the opportunity to get Hangeland when he was cheap, I dont think we would go for him now at £12m. We where linked with Brede several times.

Current Club

Currently Fulham

Signed on 18-01-2008

Fee £ 2,500.000

Squad number 5

18 months ago we missed the opportunity to get Hangeland when he was cheap, I dont think we would go for him now at £12m. We where linked with Brede several times.

Current Club

Currently Fulham

Signed on 18-01-2008

Fee £ 2,500.000

Squad number 5

It's worse than that Bill; we had him on trial a few years ago!