IGNORED

Spurs 9 - 1 Wigan

I am even nore gutted Matt, I had Defoe in my team at the start of the season and only swapped him last week. I think he has most of my points as well. I was having a pint earlier and someone said that Spurs had won 9-1, I thought it was a leg pull, as I had seen the first half in the pub (1-0) before they put the Stoke- Pompey game on.

Looking at the ultimate high scoring games on the back of this I found out something I didn't know. Everyone knows that the highest scoring pro game ever was Arbroath 36 Bon Accord 0 in the Scottish Cup in 1885. What I didn't know was that the second highest ever was in the same competition on the same day...Dundee Harp 35 Aberdeen Rovers 0.

Apparently (according to Wikipedia)...

The referee noted 37 goals, but Harp’s secretary suggested a miscount must have occurred as he had recorded only 35. The match official, acknowledging it was difficult for him to keep accurate details during such a deluge of goals, accepted the lower tally and wired the official score of 35–0 to SFA headquarters.[4]

Dundee Harp full back Tom O’Kane was an ex-Arbroath player and persuaded the Dundee club’s officials to send a telegram to his former colleagues at Gayfield Park boasting of his team’s record breaking achievement.

The Harp players and officials were not to know, however, that Arbroath had, on that same afternoon, actually gone one better against another unfortunate Aberdeen side.

On receiving the Harp telegram, Arbroath officials took great delight in sending a reply boasting of the Angus side’s superior achievement. Both parties had a good laugh over the exchange of messages, each believing the other was playing a humorous trick.

It was only when O’Kane arrived back in Arbroath on the late Saturday evening train that he discovered the truth. Locals were quick to tell him that the Arbroath result was no joke and Harp’s record-breaking claim was about to be lost.

The following morning, O'Kane got up early and jogged the 18 miles along the coast to Dundee to alert Harp officials to the situation. The Dundonians now seriously regretted correcting the referee’s account of the goal tally.