IGNORED

Dries Mertens

Two years ago Mertens still played in the Dutch second Division with AGOVV. He then signed for FC Utrecht, which is a good mid table to upper table team, and he did really well there last season. He immediately became the fan favourite and lead Utrecht to the Europa League.

Now he has been sort of the hype of the season start in Holland with some outstanding performances. All the Dutch media are speculating about a transfer. I watched the Dutch version of Match of the Day last weekend and when quizzed he said (laughing by the way) that he didn't know anything about a transfer but that he would meet his agent later that day.

Like Holystove already said, he's a short, pacey guy with good technical abilities. He's rightfooted, usually plays on the left, likes to take people on... I'm not sure whether he'd be good enough for Everton however.

http://translate.google.com/translate?js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=1&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fsporza.be%2Fcm%2Fsporza%2Fvoetbal%2Fbuitenland%2FNederland%2F100819_Mertens_interesse_topclubs&sl=nl&tl=en

looks like he's not going anywhere ... he does mention Everton as a top club (which somehow got lost in translation "Het streelt mijn ego dat zulke topclubs interesse tonen").

• 5 months later...
  • 2 years later...

This guy has GOT TO BE a target this summer IMO, with Pienaar the wrong side of 30 and the added money coming in next year, this would be an ideal time to bring him in. He scored 2 and got 3 assists for PSV in their 6-0 win at the weekend, he's got 4 goals in his last 3 for them. He's got great pace and great vision, would be a great replacement for pienaar I think personally... Not likely to happen though :(

This guy has GOT TO BE a target this summer IMO, with Pienaar the wrong side of 30 and the added money coming in next year, this would be an ideal time to bring him in. He scored 2 and got 3 assists for PSV in their 6-0 win at the weekend, he's got 4 goals in his last 3 for them. He's got great pace and great vision, would be a great replacement for pienaar I think personally... Not likely to happen though sad.png

Lol, I'm Belgian and I wouldn't recommend this guy. I hope we go for Chadli from FC Twente, he is a better player and he will fit better in the PL. Chadli and Mirallas on the wings would destroy every opponent.

I saw him play today in Belgium - Slovakia (I was at the stadium) and he scored the winning goal for Belgium. He's very dangerous in terms of scoring goals. He can be a bit selfish, but in his case I wouldn't even consider that too much of a bad thing. He is better than Mirallas.

Yeah, so much better than Mirallas beer.gif

I like him too. I think Chadli, Mirallas and Mertens are all pretty much at the same level and I'd happily have all of them here. Not that it matters though as the only links in this thread are from 2010 when Mertens was still at Utrecht and there's no way we would be able to pay what PSV want for him.

I like him too. I think Chadli, Mirallas and Mertens are all pretty much at the same level and I'd happily have all of them here. Not that it matters though as the only links in this thread are from 2010 when Mertens was still at Utrecht and there's no way we would be able to pay what PSV want for him.

Out of curiosity, what's your guess on that number?

Way too much for a guy that plays 90% of his games like shit. But I think they will even ask more, his stats are always nice.

A tad contradictory? :lol: I think 12m would be a fair price, but I think we could get them down to 10. Twente and PSV aren't miles apart stature wise in Holland and Twente accepted £8m for one of their better players in Fer and Fer is a few years younger. Really hope we go for him.

A tad contradictory? laugh.png I think 12m would be a fair price, but I think we could get them down to 10. Twente and PSV aren't miles apart stature wise in Holland and Twente accepted £8m for one of their better players in Fer and Fer is a few years younger. Really hope we go for him.

Contradictory? Why? He has a lot of goals and assists but you can't count on him. 90% of the time he is shit.

Way too much for a guy that plays 90% of his games like shit. But I think they will even ask more, his stats are always nice.

He plays 90% of his games like shit... but they will ask for more money? And if his stats are nice, how does he play 90% of his games so badly then?

Contradictory? Why? He has a lot of goals and assists but you can't count on him. 90% of the time he is shit.

You did it again! He has a lot of goals and assists....but 90% of the time he is shit?

Im genuinely confused, do you rate the guy or not? :lol:

I don't think we'd be able to get him for 10m or for 12m for that matter. Chadli neither btw, his agent said Twente are looking for £15m for him. I think both ships have sailed, if we wanted them we should have taken the gamble when they were still at lesser clubs.

15M was because Twente only would let him go in the winter for a huge amount of money. In the summer he will be a lot cheaper. But he's one of the best players in the Dutch league. People call him the most complete player of the whole league because he doesn't have any weak points. So we will still have to pay £10M I think. But he's certainly worth it, Mertens isn't imo.

He plays 90% of his games like shit... but they will ask for more money? And if his stats are nice, how does he play 90% of his games so badly then?

You did it again! He has a lot of goals and assists....but 90% of the time he is shit?

Im genuinely confused, do you rate the guy or not? laugh.png

His stats make him look a hundred times better than he actually is. Most of the times you will wait 90 minutes untill he does something, but it won't come. In PSV he can play like that, but not in the PL. He also has no power at all, that is also a disadvantage in the PL.

Edited by Big Fella 25

His stats make him look a hundred times better than he actually is. Most of the times you will wait 90 minutes untill he does something, but it won't come. In PSV he can play like that, but not in the PL. He also has no power at all, that is also a disadvantage in the PL.

He broke Cahill's jaw in the England - Belgium game :P

And dude... if you say Mirallas is better than Mertens, then I'd consider your advice on football rather questionable :P

Ahh okay I see what your saying. Apologies Big Fella!! :P