IGNORED

Aston Villa (Away)

dark

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't trawled through the various messages over these past couple of weeks to check this, but I can't remember anyone making the suggestion that we play Hibbert (or if fit, Neville) at RB with Coleman RM before today.

On this basis I am inclined to give Moyes and the coaching staff the credit for giving that combination a try in the 2nd half today - it is a positive that I am taking out of the game that Coleman at RM may just be a great option and does much to help the balance between being defensively solid and attack minded down that side. I agree that RM is not for Rodwell, but ultimately it's just a reflection of our weakest position just now.

Personally I see the last 2 games as being more the problem than today. We went to play a decent side today away from home and deserved at least a point and probably deserved to win it. However, the first 2 results had put them under presure to get the win today.

We need some luck, a lucky goal and we'll get going. But no question this is a nightmare as for me, any shot at 4th has gone already. Also worried that I don't see much leadership on the pitch just now. It's not sexy to big up the claims of a solid defender like Hibbert or for that matter the claims of Phil Neville...but the guy has more experience and nous than the others and if fit, I would bring him back in to play at RB with Coleman RM.

In Moyes I trust.

I really don't have a problem with Coleman coming off the bench. I don't think Moyesy is going to start him but cleary Coleman is a comfortable stepping up in the middle of a game. The only thing I worry about is the experience factor. If he's not getting proper time, how can we expect him to have complete touches on the ball. And by that I mean, after the fancy foot work, how does he finish? A good cross? A threaded pass? A shot? Whatever it is, I worry that final step won't develop without proper playing time.

I gotta disagree with Romey about Arteta. Maybe You can make an argument about his role today, but I don't think he was shit. Not by any stretch. At the very least, he provides reliability as a withdrawn midfielder. Not looking for him to stay there, but I don't think he was shit.

We're lacking serious creativity in and around the box. It's unbelievable. And what if it doesn't come? What if no one steps up and does what needs to be done? What do we do then? I know it's only 3 games in, but, in games that matter towards our standing on the league table, I can't find a much easier stretch. Except for the identical one (different order) in April. And none of this "we'll beat the big boys like last year" BS. Right now? No we won't.

I need a drink.

there was one part when he was in the cb position and got the ball off howard and just wandered forward with it then stood there....let young/carew close him down and thumped it against them then it could have gone anywhere..looked disinterested when we needed a leader and at the moment he is not worth that contract he needs to show it now

I havent had the benefit of watching the game on the telly yet ( was too pissed by the time I got home!) but I cant believe that people are singling out Buzz Lightyear for critisicm he has been our best defender this season give the man a break.

I thought, in the main, we played well yesterday and I would have felt robbed if we had drawn the game and Im still not sure how we managed to lose.

God knows what Moysie was thinking putting Rodders out on the right and we desperately need to find a forward and fast

we desperately need to find a forward and fast

We totaly outplayed Villa and with an inform striker and a bit more luck would have thrashed them.

Sure Rodwell was out of position, and one or two others weren't at the top of their games, Arteta springs to mind, but we did dominate, except for a couple of break away attacks a better than average team.

That's three teams we've been better than...Blackburn, Wolves and Villa, and we have one point to show for it......so to quote DuncanMcK again....we need to find a forward and fast!

We have a few, Saha, Beckford, Yak, Anichebe and Vaughan.Saha played well when he came on yesterday, if he'd played like that for the whole game we may well have won.Beckford is playing against faster, stronger and probably smarter defenders, he needs time to get used to that, the Carling cup and the last 20 mins of a prem game would maybe be the way forward, until then one of the other forwards needs to step up and start turning these

draws and defeats into wins.

Three games, three mistakes in the defence have led to goals, we've only conceded 3 goals so far, we wouldn't hardly be talking about those mistakes if we'd been banging a few in the other end.

It is a bad start, players are still being played out of position, Moyes is still toying with the tactics and one or two players are still looking for form......BUT all we really need at the moment are a few goals.....who's the man to score them?

I gotta disagree with Romey about Arteta. Maybe You can make an argument about his role today, but I don't think he was shit. Not by any stretch. At the very least, he provides reliability as a withdrawn midfielder. Not looking for him to stay there, but I don't think he was shit.

It's not Arteta's job to be a reliable withdrawn midfielder, that's Fellaini's job and do you know what? Fellaini's pretty damn good at it. Arteta is there to create, to thread the ball through an eye of a needle when teams sit back (like Villa did), not sit on the edge of our own box and play sideways passes!

And I don't think I said he was shit, but that it was a shithouse performance, i.e. a scared performance.

Edited by Romey 1878

And I don't think I said he was shit, but that it was a shithouse performance, i.e. a scared performance.

I agree he shouldn't have been playing so deep but I can only guess that was Moyes' plan as he stayed there the whole game. Otherwise Moyes would have been screaming at him to push up more. So we had two deep central midfielders, OK Cahill plays slightly off but he's not exactly a creative player with the ball to feet. So all the attacking play went wide with the aim of getting crosses in. There needs to be more variation than that.

I agree he shouldn't have been playing so deep but I can only guess that was Moyes' plan as he stayed there the whole game. Otherwise Moyes would have been screaming at him to push up more. So we had two deep central midfielders, OK Cahill plays slightly off but he's not exactly a creative player with the ball to feet. So all the attacking play went wide with the aim of getting crosses in. There needs to be more variation than that.

Really, getting the ball out wide is what you need to do when you play a team sitting deep, packing their defense like Villa did. You have to stretch their defense and get crosses in. There's no way you can combine through to it, or play balls over the top when they sit deep like they did.

Really, getting the ball out wide is what you need to do when you play a team sitting deep, packing their defense like Villa did. You have to stretch their defense and get crosses in. There's no way you can combine through to it, or play balls over the top when they sit deep like they did.

This. We tried to play through a parked bus before (Blackburn) and it doesn't work. You need to go wide.

But I felt they dealt pretty comfortably with almost all the crosses we put in. From what I remember the two best chances (apart from Pienaar hitting the bar) were the two shots Saha had, and both times it was worked in more from the centre. But to do that better we need Arteta further up.

Whatever way we tried to play against Blackburn, stretching the play is the way to go against a team sitting deep with so much players behind the ball. That's a footballing principle really.

None of Saha's chances actually came about because of play through the middle. Most of them actually seemed to follow a hoof ball. :unsure: As you can see in these highlights:

http://www.101greatgoals.com/videodisplay/6724673/

Of Saha's too good chances yesterday (the ones that made the keeper make a save), the first came from a one-two with Pienaar. OK Pienaar was wide but it wasn't a classic "get the ball wide and whip a cross in" move like I'm talking about.

The second was a longer ball but it was a flick on from a central position that Saha controlled and then he got his shot in.

I'm not against using the wings and getting crosses in – I agree you can stretch teams that way. But it gets a bit one dimensional. Yesterday we had loads of possession in their half, and we moved the ball around well, but in the end every move seemed to aim at getting the ball to one of the wings to get a cross in. I'm just saying you can't do that EVERY time. There need to be midfielders and strikers making runs when we've got the ball in the centre near the box, or people coming short to lay the ball off. Just watch a good passing team like Arsenal or Man U and you'll see that. But it seems the ONLY idea we have half the time is to get the ball out wide and get crosses in. How many corners and crosses did we have yesterday? And how many goals did we score?

It's not Arteta's job to be a reliable withdrawn midfielder, that's Fellaini's job and do you know what? Fellaini's pretty damn good at it. Arteta is there to create, to thread the ball through an eye of a needle when teams sit back (like Villa did), not sit on the edge of our own box and play sideways passes!

Okay. Note to self: Shithouse = scared performance (via Romey Dictionary). Just trying to learn the lingo around here! :D

Edited by AlexSWill