IGNORED

Fan Ownership Of Everton Fc

12 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think fan ownership of Everton FC is a feasible option for the future of our club

Considering recent events across the park, the unrest over at MUFC, the potential for eventual disaster when sugar-daddies throw their MCFC toys out of the pram, as well as new UEFA rules that clubs must operate within their means, is it possible that Everton could really and truly be called 'The People's Club'.

Simply put, do you think that fan ownership is a feasible option for the future of EFC?

Edited by wallwriter

Would the board have a choice if they were forced out?

In all seriousness, I'm asking this question really to find out whether it is a feasible way to run a club such as Everton. We all know about Barcelona, but that is a completely different situation coming from a completely different history. Other clubs such as Exeter, Chester, Stirling Albion in Scotland have in recent times become fan-owned clubs. However, in all of these situations the clubs have been saved from extinction by being bought by supporters trusts.

If it turns out that we don't/can't find a buyer or investor for our club, that no money is invested in players, and in some sort of new stadium, then perhaps this avenue is something worth looking at. If we were to go the next five years without investment in the club, I'm sure most people would say that the longer-term future of EFC does not look good, and most people would see that as a failure by the board.

Personally, I wouldn't like to wait until Everton are on the brink of extinction before considering such an option. Whether this kind of structure would work here at Everton, I don't know, but I'm interested to find out what other people think.

Edited by wallwriter

I'm sorry Romey, I feel you're missing my point? I'm not talking about starting a revolution here on TT, I'm not talking about picketing outside the ground, I'm not suggesting we hold a bed-in in the Gwladys Street Stand, and I'm not propagating the idea with the belief that it is the way forward.. However, whether the board will 'allow it' or not, at some point this board will no longer be running the club, whether they're are forced out, sold out, or the inevitable, endless sleep takes them from this world, someone else will eventually take control, and I'm curious to know whether the fan owned structure could work here at Everton.

You may well deem this a pointless conversation because it may in all honesty never happen, but me I'm a dreamer and an optimist, and have a curious and open mind. For me Everton has a history of being innovators of football, and perhaps we could still be innovators. It's only a question, and a hypothetical one at that.

Out of interest, what in your opinion is it 'to be pro-active'?

I'd love Everton to be totally fan owned, I'd definitely want my own little piece of the club if I could possibly afford it, but I don't see it happening because I can't see enough Everton fans banding together (or being proactive as I said before i.e. actually doing something) to make it happen.

By proactive I mean doing more than talking. A lot of Everton fans don't like the situation at the club atm (having jack shit to spend, stagnating etc etc) and lay the blame for that at the board's feet. But nothing will get done for fear of being labelled a kopite. But personally, I admire them for that they did about Hicks and Gillett - they didn't like what was happening to their club and they decided to do something about it.

Personally, I don't see where fear of being called a Kopite comes into it; it's our club, if it's in our interest than what the heck do we care what anyone else says. (pun intended)

As for the other point that you make about not enough people will to invest their small fortunes, that obviously would be a huge stumbling block. However, without concrete numbers about how many and how much it's difficult to say. I certainly have no idea how much would need to be raised for a buyout, I read another forum/thread about 50,000 people each putting in £2,000. That would raise £100million. Personally, I think those kind of targets area bit high, I'm not sure there are that many fans who could afford to stump up that much cash.

I think that other options would need to be looked at to raise that kind of money. That, I feel, would be the difficult part.

Personally, I don't see where fear of being called a Kopite comes into it; it's our club, if it's in our interest than what the heck do we care what anyone else says. (pun intended)

It comes into it because I've seen it on other forums. Some fans say lets do this and lets do that and then other members shout them down with comments like "don't be such a kopite", "lets leave that crap to that lot over the park".

As for the other point that you make about not enough people will to invest their small fortunes, that obviously would be a huge stumbling block. However, without concrete numbers about how many and how much it's difficult to say. I certainly have no idea how much would need to be raised for a buyout, I read another forum/thread about 50,000 people each putting in £2,000. That would raise £100million. Personally, I think those kind of targets area bit high, I'm not sure there are that many fans who could afford to stump up that much cash.

I think that other options would need to be looked at to raise that kind of money. That, I feel, would be the difficult part.

The figures are right and it is a bit high, £2.000 pounds from 50 thousand people doesnt seem a lot, but just look at it if you just take our average gate of 35.000.

Every man woman and child who goes to the match would have to cough up (£10.000) Ten thousand pounds each to raise £350 million.

Its just not feasible. ;)

The figures are right and it is a bit high, £2.000 pounds from 50 thousand people doesnt seem a lot, but just look at it if you just take our average gate of 35.000.

Every man woman and child who goes to the match would have to cough up (£10.000) Ten thousand pounds each to raise £350 million.

Its just not feasible. ;)

I agree but you would also have rich blues who might want a bigger slice of the pie and stump up much more cash.

I dont really know a lot about these fan owned clubs but I am curious to know how they are run. Do the people spending the most decide? Does everyone get a vote? Do they have to elect a president/board who then make the decisions?

Its certainly an interesting concept though, and if it happened and I had enough money I would certainly look to own a part.

The fans of PSV eindhoven have made an offer to buy a bunch of stocks from their club.. only 5 days ago

http://www.fd.nl/artikel/20476423/supporters-psv-presenteren-directie-aandelenplan

Als alle 14.500 leden van de supportersvereniging PSV intekenen op een participatie van € 150 dan levert dat PSV een bedrag op van € 2.175.000. De voorzitter van de supportersvereniging, Rob van den Akker, mikt op een hogere opbrengst. De belangstelling is volgens hem groot en fans kunnen eigenaar zijn van meerdere participaties.

If all the members of the PSV fanclub (14.500) sign in on a participation of 150euro it would make PSV 2.175.000.euro the president of the fanclub thinks they can make even more, as alot of fans are interested.

I think this is intersting to everton, because first of all psv in terms of fanbase isn't bigger, (or at least similar) and they do'nt buy the entire club...

Edited by Churinga