IGNORED

The Ashes

Well Louis, as an Aussie, all I can say is that the scoring works that we bowled England out for a bad score in the 1st Innings, then we let the 2 most out of form players be both our captain and vice-captain and see how much they can screw it up for us. And they did a damn fine job.

In saying all of that though, the scoring works that you have a total of 5 days to win a test (you can win it in 5, 4, 3, 2 or 1 day(s)). If no one wins in those 5 allotted days it is called a draw and doesn't count towards the end result (the Ashes has 5 test matches). In those 5 days you have 1 team batting and 1 team fielding/bowling (the teams alternate between roles). The team batting has 11 players to bat, the bowling team needs to get 10 of those players out. When this occurs the teams switch roles. This is called an innings. So after the 1st innings have been completed by both teams then you do it again (the 2nd innings). This time you add both of the innings scores together, whoever has the most wins (if the game does not finish in a draw - which is fairly common).

Example of the innings scores:

1st Innings scores:

Team A - 323 runs

Team B - 402 runs

(Team B leads by 79 runs)

2nd Innings scores:

Team A - 456 runs

Team B - 313 runs

Total after both innings:

Team A - 779 runs

Team B - 715 runs

Team A wins by 64 runs.

There are some issues in relation to how draws work and the like, but that is the general gist of it.

Tonight I'm going to bed with our openers looking supremely untoubled....I expect to wake up to find we've collapsed and lost.

Except I didn't get to bed....two minutes after I posted that a policeman banged on the door and told me there was a house fire down the road following an explosion (guy been building his own extension for months and obviously plugged gas pipe into electricity socket or something) and an acetylene tank in the middle of it meant they were enforcing a 200 metre exclusion zone :mellow: . Woke up wife and Josh and got police vanned to the village hall.

Luckily after an hour and a bit they reduced the zone to 100 metres and we got to come home :) .

And now we're 135-0 :jump for joy: . Keep it going guys!

Love it when we have them rattled :lol: .

Mike i still go for England. Have been in Oz for 28 years and the only time I have ever supported Australia over England was at this years World Cup.

Anderson was awesome yesterday, but am not getting too carried away. Still have to bat and This is England!!!