IGNORED

Salary Cap

Hafnia

Is it time to introduce one?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Salary cap - introduce yes or no

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2005/jan/27/sport.blueprintforabetterfootball

Interesting article from 6 years ago...

There is little reward nowadays for clubs who are trying to make the books balance without an oil rich owner writing debts off.

Has football been ruined by the excesses and to a point greed of the players?

Football has seen players go from sharing buses with the fans to being flown to training in helicopters.

If we had an oil rich owner would I be backing this? Probably yes... Would Jimmy Hill back this?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2005/jan/27/sport.blueprintforabetterfootball

Has football been ruined by the excesses and to a point greed of the players?

Yawn!

No us football fans love to see footballers owning silver plated cars and buying up whole streets of houses so we can rent from them and in doing so give them a bit of pocket money!

If oil rich arabs bought Everton, pumped hundreds of million of pounds into the club, paid money grabbing players who didn't give a shit about Everton £150-200,000 A WEEK to play for us, managed to buy us a trophy in their first season, even fill the youth team with the best Spanish and French youngsters.....would I walk away from Everton, probably. :(

People should stop buying petrol and go to the theatre more often, that way Kenwright would make more money than the Arabs.It's the only way forward.

People should stop buying petrol and go to the theatre more often, that way Kenwright would make more money than the Arabs.It's the only way forward.

:lol: You may have something there!

(But can I be excused the theatre please? I'll buy a ticket....just don't want to sit through the shite that Bill normally puts on :unsure: )

As far as a cap goes...Bailey said it.

(But can I be excused the theatre please? I'll buy a ticket....just don't want to sit through the shite that Bill normally puts on :unsure: )

Or maybe we’ve got the wrong theatre impresario? Andrew Lloyd Webber and Cameron Macintosh are worth hundreds of millions. Maybe we should knock on their door? Who will buy….our wonderful football team? Kenwright’s also done lots of serious drama which shouldn’t go unnoticed (but always is). Night of the Iguana a few years ago was excellent. There should definitely be a salary cap. Keeping a team competitive under a cap is a skill in itself. Repeating cups in American sport (NHL, MLB, NHL) is so much harder because of it. Also, I’m not sure if it would be entirely impractical; it really depends on how much the cap is. Remember, you could max out the cap on one or two players (pay them top whack) and fill out the other positions with journeymen. What’s the average wage in other countries? Would a cap in this country put us on the same footing of, say, old Eastern bloc countries, or Scandinavian ones, or the lower reaches of La Liga and Serie A? Although you would probably lose most of the very best players, there is no reason you can’t make a good team out of what’s left. I hope that’s not too naïve an idea.